• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    right now I just have a blackhawk serpa it has both the paddle and belt loop. i like it, but it just makes my gun stick out too much to conceal. Not a big fan of inside the pants carry. did that when I had my 357 and 380. and honestly i probably wear my pants a little too tight in the waist (refuse to buy a size bigger cause I need to loose all the post babies weight again) anyway what might you suggest JetGirl?
    That's the paddle with the curve, right?
    Seems to me that this design (like most) was created with men in mind.
    Ten bucks says your natural curve is pushing that curve out and pushing the gun even farther away from you...probably making the whole thing slant. Like, muzzle tipping in toward you, grip tipping outward. Is that kind of describing your problem? (The grip ending up way too far out from your body)

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    This one is pricey, but one of the best holsters you can get, will last you forever, and is specifically made for women.

Ladies Gun Holster

If you are carrying a revolver, Milt Sparks sells a product that was designed for his wife. Still pricey, though not so much as the Kramer, still one of the best you can buy, and will also last forever and a day.
    Milt Sparks Holsters

This Galco runs less than $60, and won the 2006 Women's Outlook award according to their ad.
    Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

The Serpa isn't a very good concealment holster for anyone. For women, it would be hopeless to try to conceal.
    http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.asp?ProductID=3306&CatalogID=4

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Ten bucks says your natural curve is pushing that curve out and pushing the gun even farther away from you...probably making the whole thing slant. Like, muzzle tipping in toward you, grip tipping outward. Is that kind of describing your problem? (The grip ending up way too far out from your body)

Yes, the paddle does have a curve & yep that is the problem. I still like the holster but I will just have to oc while using that one.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    wow

This one is pricey, but one of the best holsters you can get, will last you forever, and is specifically made for women.

Ladies Gun Holster holly cow i'd say its pricey!

If you are carrying a revolver, Milt Sparks sells a product that was designed for his wife. Still pricey, though not so much as the Kramer, still one of the best you can buy, and will also last forever and a day.
    Milt Sparks Holsters no revolver for me I've got a G36

This Galco runs less than $60, and won the 2006 Women's Outlook award according to their ad.
    Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters I'll check this one out

The Serpa isn't a very good concealment holster for anyone. For women, it would be hopeless to try to conceal. figures

and thanks for all the info!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I've had the best success with Kirkpatrick's Texas Strong Side. It's similar to the links in Joe William's post, but way less expensive.
    Here's a couple close ups of the front and back and one pic of it on my side (usually concealed by a cover garment of some sort).
    Scroll past all the blah blah crap:
    Annie's Stuff: Christmas on Valentine's...almost

That's likely my next semi-auto holster. Just didn't know how it would work for women. Cathy has made me shy about recommending holsters for women, because a bunch of the ones I like and have gotten her to try poke her, prod her, or stick out like a sore thumb.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    That's likely my next semi-auto holster. Just didn't know how it would work for women. Cathy has made me shy about recommending holsters for women, because a bunch of the ones I like and have gotten her to try poke her, prod her, or stick out like a sore thumb.

I think the thing that makes it work is the belt slot on the back. It seems to pull the whole rig snug up to your body vs the holsters with the slots on either side.
    :twocents:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Have any of you ladies tried IWB "appendix" carry? (~1-2 o'clock) And how has it worked for you?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Have any of you ladies tried IWB "appendix" carry? (~1-2 o'clock) And how has it worked for you?

I tried it right off the bat. HATED it. "Uncomfortable" would be an understatement...sitting, standing, whatever.
    IWB kidney carry wasn't far behind that.
    For a couple years, I settled on IWB SOB *sorta*. I positioned it just off center so it wasn't on my spine.
    People will talk a lot of smack about that method, but I fell twice carrying that way (once on ice and once from a ladder) and nothing got hurt except my pride.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Wife's guns

My wife doesn't do the forums but she sure does guns. She carries a LCP in a pocket holster. She also owns a .204 CZ 527, a .204 DPMS/Premier Arms AR15, a Ruger 10/22M converted to .17 HMR, a very customized 10/22, and a Howa 1500 SV .223. She claims title to the "valley of death" as a prairie dog shooter and holds the family record at 532 yards.

We are taking our 12 yr old granddaughter to South Dakota next month to introduce her to p doggin'. The record may be in jeopardy! :)

Now that's what you girls oughta' do. Ladies prairie dog trip! :rockwoot:

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    My wife doesn't do the forums but she sure does guns. She carries a LCP in a pocket holster. She also owns a .204 CZ 527, a .204 DPMS/Premier Arms AR15, a Ruger 10/22M converted to .17 HMR, a very customized 10/22, and a Howa 1500 SV .223. She claims title to the "valley of death" as a prairie dog shooter and holds the family record at 532 yards.

We are taking our 12 yr old granddaughter to South Dakota next month to introduce her to p doggin'. The record may be in jeopardy! :)

Now that's what you girls oughta' do. Ladies prairie dog trip! :rockwoot:
    OMG, does your wife need a range 'boy'? just asking

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I tried it right off the bat. HATED it. "Uncomfortable" would be an understatement...sitting, standing, whatever.
    IWB kidney carry wasn't far behind that.
    For a couple years, I settled on IWB SOB *sorta*. I positioned it just off center so it wasn't on my spine.
    People will talk a lot of smack about that method, but I fell twice carrying that way (once on ice and once from a ladder) and nothing got hurt except my pride.

What gun did you carry IWB appendix, if you don't mind? And what made it uncomfortable? I find appendix to be the most comfortable IWB method, even with a "large" pistol... of course I don't have hips.

Also ladies, what about the belly bands? Comfortable? My experience is that the gun is not very secure... haven't tried it with a light gun i.e. Airweight, P-3AT, etc., and my band doesn't have a retention strap.

Also, I'm guessing "fanny packs" are a fashion faux pas?

Has anyone tried the holster T-shirts or a shoulder rig?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    What gun did you carry IWB appendix, if you don't mind? And what made it uncomfortable?

At that time I was carrying a S&W Airweight (637 model).
    No matter what position I jockeyed it into or what degree of cant, it either dug ribs with the grip or pelvis with the muzzle with every activity/movement/bend.

what about the belly bands?
    I've read enough "I leaned over to pick up (whatever) and OOPS! Out it fell" stories to not even bother trying one. Sounds like they are hard to put in exactly the same position each time and without that, you'd have to fumble with drawing more than relying on muscle memory.
    Plus, the ones with added retention straps make it even more difficult.
    That earned a big "not interested" in my book.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    At that time I was carrying a S&W Airweight (637 model).
    No matter what position I jockeyed it into or what degree of cant, it either dug ribs with the grip or pelvis with the muzzle with every activity/movement/bend.

Wow. The most comfortable carry for me ever was a IWB Airweight (I think it was a model 42 hammerless) in a very simple clip on leather holster.

I'm very interested in the topic, BTW. I know that holster recommendations can never be universal, but by the looks of this thread, it seems that women are having a hard time with just about everything that is available.

I've read enough "I leaned over to pick up (whatever) and OOPS! Out it fell" stories to not even bother trying one. Sounds like they are hard to put in exactly the same position each time and without that, you'd have to fumble with drawing more than relying on muscle memory.
    Plus, the ones with added retention straps make it even more difficult.
    That earned a big "not interested" in my book.

That's pretty much my experience, and drawing is not easy. My wife finds it is comfortable to wear (as long as the gun is light enough), but she has never practiced the draw.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    but she has never practiced the draw.

But...but but but...that's like part of the proficiency you need.
    You really don't want to operate on a learning curve under SHTF stress.
    Can you convince her to unload it, check that it's unloaded, check again...and PRACTICE drawing...a bunch?

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    :ugh: Sorry... now I have to explain...

I probably jumped the gun when I said she found a belly band to be comfortable, since she doesn't have LTCH; but as it stands it's what she finds most comfortable of the rigs she has tried on, and worn around for a few minutes. I know, I know, you can't base a carry decision on wearing something for a few minutes... I guess that's why the gun shops all have those boxes full of holsters!

First we need her to go to the range and practice, and to get her LTCH, then we'll find a carry rig, and work on the draw. It could take years, but I'm in it for the long haul. :)

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer

Oh, man. I wish I had read this before going out and buying the same holster today. I strapped it on, walked out to the garage where the hubby was putting a rear site on his new AR (yeah, fun day shopping!), and he laughed hysterically at my concealment fail! It looks like I have a missile launcher strapped to my side! I know that an M&P Pro was never really meant to be carried, but it's ridiculous! Oh, well, it's still a nice holster. Guess I'll just OC since I really don't feel like buying a new holster. :dunno:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Oh, man. I wish I had read this before going out and buying the same holster today.

Well, dang girl.
    Don't give up if you want another holster. Gun shows have pre-owned ones by the bins full.
    That's where this one was found (and used exclusively until I bought the Texas strong side). Note that you can make it any color you want, so shop for the function you want, not the color. :yesway:

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Well, dang girl.
    Don't give up if you want another holster. Gun shows have pre-owned ones by the bins full.
    That's where this one was found (and used exclusively until I bought the Texas strong side). Note that you can make it any color you want, so shop for the function you want, not the color. :yesway:

Thanks for the color tip! I'll likely keep looking around for something else, but since I had no holster at all for it I'll go ahead and keep this one. Something is always better than nothing! Thanks!

Top Bottom