• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Went out squirrel hunting Saturday morning, was walking down the trail and was startled when some sort of hawk or falcon took off just from the edge of the trail I was hiking. I assumed it must have been eating something so I walked over to check it out. Found this snake that looked to have just been killed. It was positioned on its back, the head already gone and was picked apart pretty well. I carried it over to the trail and stretched it out, about four feet in length. Made for a pretty cool find. I didn't think we had these this far north, anyone else spotted these around this area?

2itg5g8.jpg

Rattle Snake 1.jpg

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yup. They're out there. I almost stepped on a big one in Brown County last year. One of the trail runners I know posted a pic of a big one in Morgan Monroe State Forrest on the back country trail last year as well.

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Kind of scary thinking that they're out there, I took my family out to the rock shelter trail this summer. What the heck are you supposed to do if you get bitten by one of these guys?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Kind of scary thinking that they're out there, I took my family out to the rock shelter trail this summer. What the heck are you supposed to do if you get bitten by one of these guys?

Stay calm and call 911. If 911 is not available calmly walk the victim out. Remove anything that might restrict swelling like rings or bracelets. Keep the site below the level of the heart if possible. Do not cut the site, do not suck the venom out, do not use a constriction band, do not ice the area.

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Learned something new, I've spent a lot of time in these woods and this is the first one I've seen. Surprised me, just glad my first encounter was with one that was already dead!

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    As we tell the students, if you don't want to get bit by a snake, don't do two things:
    1. Don't pick them up.
    2. Don't step on them.

That should keep you safe in most circumstances.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I still hold the Morgan County record for backwards and for height jumping after encountering a Timber Rattler near the M-M forest.

I know snakes got a job to do, but I just wish they would do it somewhere not near me.:D

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    How did you do with the squirrels?

Not great, got a late start and only caught a glimpse of one in the tree tops. Posted up under the tree for about an hour but he never showed himself again. Then the rain hit. Still always fun getting out in the woods though, and finding the rattle snake made my day.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I talked with one of the DNR guys at BCSP about this. He said closest anti-venom is at a hospital in Indy. Said if you get bit, you're most likely getting a helicopter ride. Shibumiseeker's advice is correct. Don't do any of that crap you see in the movies.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Too bad you're in IN where they're protected. If you were in another state, you could have sold that rattle for $20-50.
    Not great, got a late start and only caught a glimpse of one in the tree tops. Posted up under the tree for about an hour but he never showed himself again. Then the rain hit. Still always fun getting out in the woods though, and finding the rattle snake made my day.

Gun Chooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Problem I see would be getting back to an area identifiable enough to locate you. Most of the time, I'm back in the woods a good couple miles and cell reception is spotty at best. I'll just keep my fingers crossed I don't ever have an incident.

Wouldn't sell something like that anyways, pretty cool piece you don't find very often!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I almost stepped on one. I jumped about 10 feet high, quickly moved, and promptly crapped my pants after I heard that rattle sound right next to my leg. I believe this is what the DNR teaches when you encounter one.
    So what do you do when you encounter a rattle snake?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Yup. They're out there. I almost stepped on a big one in Brown County last year. One of the trail runners I know posted a pic of a big one in Morgan Monroe State Forrest on the back country trail last year as well.

I've been afraid of finding one while mountain biking.

Top Bottom