• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I for one am not a fan of snakes of any kind. I'm not sure how I would respond if I encounter a rattler, or even a copperhead. IF I encounter one in the woods and am able to move away I will. BUT, that would likely mean our hunting dog is probably very near by....snake just make get a blast from the ol' scatter gun. Bad part is if you see one there are likely others somewhat near by

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I for one am not a fan of snakes of any kind. I'm not sure how I would respond if I encounter a rattler, or even a copperhead. IF I encounter one in the woods and am able to move away I will. BUT, that would likely mean our hunting dog is probably very near by....snake just make get a blast from the ol' scatter gun. Bad part is if you see one there are likely others somewhat near by

Yeah, and they woodn't like it none to much if you was to shoot one of their buddies.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Greenfield, Indiana
    I have had a passion with snakes for as long as I can remember especially rattlesnakes. This is an animal that has evolved an early warning feature that is louder that what they can project by hissing. I have spent the better part of 6 years, hiking off trail in southern Indiana in efforts to come across a Hoosier Timber Rattlesnake. On July 15 2015 I got that opportunity in Brown County. Timber Rattlesnakes are very placid snakes, most of the videos you see of them rattling was due to someone throwing a rock or stick at one. My encounter with the one pictured below was un-eventful, she never rattled, or struck at me, and after my photography session with her she crawl back into the brush.

20498625711_e1c0322b6d_c.jpg

19762556431_a7a72346ce_c.jpg

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    That's your foot in the photo?! You're far braver than the rest of us.

As I understand it, rattlesnakes are far less aggressive than copperheads or cottonmouths or even many non-venomous species, no?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    They, along with Copperheads, are within a mile or less of the south side of Martinsville.

Timber rattlers, copperheads, cottonmouths...
    Indiana does not have a shortage of snakes.

If you'd like to measurably reduce your chances of an encounter with a snake, stay out of the woods.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Greenfield, Indiana
    That's your foot in the photo?! You're far braver than the rest of us.

As I understand it, rattlesnakes are far less aggressive than copperheads or cottonmouths or even many non-venomous species, no?

Yes that was my foot in the photo. However I was wearing snake poof shoes, and gaiters. There was actually this one and a smaller one near each other.
    Here is a brief video of the encounter.

[video=youtube;CeDLIJ0gjXM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeDLIJ0gjXM[/video]

Here is my "Venomous Obsession" flickr page!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/43308995@N08/albums/72157660684242909

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Certainly there is always some risk of coming across a venomous snake or some other less than desirable wildlife while walking the woods. But, I would much rather not encounter them...and as said upthread not sure we would both survive such an encounter.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Kind of scary thinking that they're out there, I took my family out to the rock shelter trail this summer. What the heck are you supposed to do if you get bitten by one of these guys?

Most encounters in the wild can be avoided by stay on trail. If you happen to find one on the trail turn around an go the other way. As mentioned before timber rattlesnake a reluctant to bite, unless they have been harassed or stepped on. In the rare event you get bit, remaining calm, call 911 and let them know what trail you are on, and if you are able get to the nearest main road. Timber rattlesnake bites can be serious if left untreated, however depending on the severity of the bite antivenin is not always used due to potential anaphylaxis complications, and insane mark up of Crofab antivenom.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    PMMG, I know you said you're passionate for snakes. The following may offend, so please ignore.

I have an easy rule when it comes to "critters". I determine my response to them based on the number of legs they're supposed to have: If that number is less than 2 or more than 4, they deserve to die instantly. Anything in between (inclusive) is taken on a case-by-case basis.

(shudders)

Blessings,
    Bill

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Those are hard to see even when you know what your looking for. How big is the population in the southern part?

Their placid demeanor, and their ability to blend in to the forest floor makes it hard to guess how big the population is. I have heard that is less than 1000 animals. I do know that Timber rattlesnake litters produce more male snakes than female. The females aren't sexually mature until they are 7 to 10 years of age, and more often than not the females that have bred will not breed for several years afterwards. So going out of the way to kill these animals just because of their potential danger, or simple fear due to lack of education to me is no different than the people who want to ban AR15's because of the guns potential danger, or based on their lack of knowledge.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    We were camping in Taylor ridge at brown County state park last weekend and had a 7ft long timber rattle snake come out of the woods on our site. I called the front gate, they called the dnr and they sent a guy out to asses the situation. By then, a pretty decent size crowd was gathering and a fellow camper a few sites away came down. Apparently, his wife said he milked snakes in his younger years. He took the snake hook from the dnr guy, pinned the snakes head to the ground, and proceeded to pick the snake up and put it in a plastic container the dnr man brought along. Dnr man said they'd release the snake Tuesday or Wednesday when everyone was gone. There were way too many kids, dogs, and stupid people there last weekend to leave that snake loose.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Greenfield, Indiana
    BCSP, and other camp grounds in around southern Indiana have 24 hour personnel that will remove relocate these unwanted visitors from your site. I personally don't leave home without my snake hook, and bucket when I camp there. I understand the need to protect kids, but I have seen where a camper got into his truck and drove it over a timber that was several campsites way. He tried claiming it was endangering his kids.

Venomous snake bucket.jpg

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I can understand your point of view. I won't go out of my way to kill something. I've never actually killed a snake of any kind, and it's not through lack of knowledge that I came up with my previously posted "action" (if you can call it that.) I know what a snake can do. I know that some are aggressive, others less so generally speaking, just as some people are aggressive and others less so. The fact is that the AR-15, however, is not going to, for ANY reason, EVER kill someone on its own, of its own volition and action. The snake might not, but it depends on too many factors *I* can't control, understanding that the snake isn't seeking to kill me, it's reacting defensively (in most cases) to an intrusion on its territory, "personal space", or similar, and just wants that intrusion to stop. It won't come actively looking for me (in most cases) and usually isn't going to pursue me to "complete the kill". It just wants left alone, which is why it's on the Gadsden flag.

For me, the "weasel words" in the above are the problem. Usually, in most cases, generally speaking... I recognize that the issue is mine, and to address that issue, I stay the hell out of their territory, as best I can. The simple fact is that yes, they scare me, and I don't and won't respond well to that fear being brought to the surface.
    Much like what I understand the snake's reaction and response to be.

Blessings,
    Bill

Their placid demeanor, and their ability to blend in to the forest floor makes it hard to guess how big the population is. I have heard that is less than 1000 animals. I do know that Timber rattlesnake litters produce more male snakes than female. The females aren't sexually mature until they are 7 to 10 years of age, and more often than not the females that have bred will not breed for several years afterwards. So going out of the way to kill these animals just because of their potential danger, or simple fear due to lack of education to me is no different than the people who want to ban AR15's because of the guns potential danger, or based on their lack of knowledge.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    While walking on the beach yesterday in Alabama, I happened upon a Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake, sunning himself. You can find snakes everywhere.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I can understand your point of view. I won't go out of my way to kill something. I've never actually killed a snake of any kind, and it's not through lack of knowledge that I came up with my previously posted "action" (if you can call it that.) I know what a snake can do. I know that some are aggressive, others less so generally speaking, just as some people are aggressive and others less so. The fact is that the AR-15, however, is not going to, for ANY reason, EVER kill someone on its own, of its own volition and action. The snake might not, but it depends on too many factors *I* can't control, understanding that the snake isn't seeking to kill me, it's reacting defensively (in most cases) to an intrusion on its territory, "personal space", or similar, and just wants that intrusion to stop. It won't come actively looking for me (in most cases) and usually isn't going to pursue me to "complete the kill". It just wants left alone, which is why it's on the Gadsden flag.

For me, the "weasel words" in the above are the problem. Usually, in most cases, generally speaking... I recognize that the issue is mine, and to address that issue, I stay the hell out of their territory, as best I can. The simple fact is that yes, they scare me, and I don't and won't respond well to that fear being brought to the surface.
    Much like what I understand the snake's reaction and response to be.

Blessings,
    Bill
    I tried the same argument with Phylodog over pit bulls...

Also, this is why I'm a cessationist:
    :nuts:
    :scared:
    snakes-620x362.jpg

Top Bottom