• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    rhino's method involved paracord (not stretchy). This meant you'd have to really get the lanyard the proper size to work. And even then, the method of use was that the light would dangle during mag changes and such.

Later during some other low-light training I found that using no lanyard was easier and less cumbersome. I could change mags with the light still in my hand, and even overhand rack the slide without issue. If I needed to ditch the light I simply put it right back in my pocket where it belonged. I liked this simple method. But of course this makes the light (and anything else) prone to falling when its being juggled.

Then more recently I read somewhere about using shock cord, so I thought I would try it. The idea is that the shock cord stretches, and is therefore smaller profile in the pocket. But when you need it it will stretch to accommodate. The method I use involves holding the body of the light in typical fashion, and then pulling the cord over top of my hand, and then around the head of the light. This locks the light to my palm. I can then use my fingers without fear of dropping the light.

While I do like this "best of both worlds" method, it obviously has its drawbacks in that I didn't use it under stress. But at least it didn't detract from my using the light.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I like the elastic cord idea and I might try it! I've seen elastic cord also used as a loop fixed to both ends of the light. It's kind of like a whole palm version of the "Tiger Ring" which is a flexible o-ring that fits around a finger popularized by Tiger McKee (I think Kirk Freeman uses this).

The loop I do isn't for everyone, but it does give people a starting point to consider how they're going to use their support hand for other tasks and still retain the light. For me, it was an adaptation and evolution of the knife lanyard style that my buddy G-Man uses and taught to me. esrice is correct that it has to be sized properly, although there is a range of sizes that will work for a given hand size.

Evan, well played on always having your light with you! I approve!

I have been in similar situations where light was needed immediately and having it with me all the time was very helpful. I was in a movie theater once where a guy was having a seizure. The theater manager refused to stop the movie or turn-up the house lights even after the paramedics were on the scene. The two of them only had a tiny light for checking pupil response and couldn't see what they were doing. Rhino to the rescue with enough light to see their work (and I held their stretcher for them too). It would have sucked if I had been forced to say, "Hey, I'll go out to my car and get a flashlight. Be right back."

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Where can I get the E1B clip at? That is what came one my LX2 to begin with and I need to replace at after 3 year of EDC.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    How did you rip a hole in your seat?

Light was clipped into my left hand pocket. Seats are cloth and kinda bucket like. As I rolled out the clip caught on the seat. Broken clip and ripped seat. Now I just put the light in my left pocket. I have attached the lanyard.

At at work I carry a E2D defender. I wear uniform pants and really don't care about the pockets.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Would it be rude to mention that I've never broken a clip on a Fenix light? And I've bent and broken clips on just about every brand of knife I've owned (including Sebenza)?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Would it be rude to mention that I've never broken a clip on a Fenix light? And I've bent and broken clips on just about every brand of knife I've owned (including Sebenza)?

That's like saying my cell phone is better than yours because the volume button is easier to use. Or my Car is better because the mirrors are bigger.

Do you even use the clips on your lights? I thought you just stored them in pockets anyway :dunno:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    That's like saying my cell phone is better than yours because the volume button is easier to use. Or my Car is better because the mirrors are bigger.

Do you even use the clips on your lights? I thought you just stored them in pockets anyway :dunno:

No, it's like saying the clips and the design of the clips on my Fenix lights do not promote premature failure. Given the number of failures of the clip on this particular model of Surefire, the same is not true. It's either poorly designed, poorly executed, or uses inadequate materials. Or some combination of the three.

So there!

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    No, it's like saying the clips and the design of the clips on my Fenix lights do not promote premature failure. Given the number of failures of the clip on this particular model of Surefire, the same is not true. It's either poorly designed, poorly executed, or uses inadequate materials. Or some combination of the three.

So there!

Sorry, I buy my flashlights for the functionality of an actual light. Silly things like brightness, tactical tailcap, etc. I didn't know belt clip should also be on the list :p

Top Bottom