• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    SPOT ON! MTC....

I don't have a problem for MY sake so much as I have a problem with it being disseminated in this manner. And no - I'm not one of those that has a "BBQ" gun and I'll bet you wouldn't know me if you walked down the streets of Salem. Nor would you realize that I was carrying.

I do get your point - that we can't have it both ways... OC, public demonstrations _AND_ ask for privacy. But this is NOT a thread about OC vs CC - Lord knows there are plenty of those out there! This IS about media being reasonable in their approach to disseminating private info. I fear, sir, that you may be generalizing a bit too much in your post above... And lumping us all into various groups as you find convenient.

In actual fact we CAN reasonably ask for it "both ways". As MTC so eloquently put it - it should be on our terms, not theirs... Unlike the sex offenders, we committed no crime - hence, like DL information , it should by rights, be disseminated on OUR terms or for Law Enforcement purposes... nothing more.

JLB768

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Bloomington
    If you google Michael Malik Bloomington, his twitter page comes up, he apparently likes to play Call of Duty. So by day, he wants to write stories about guns he knows nothing about, and at night, kills people in shootemup games. I wouldn't point this guy in the direction of a steaming pile of poop.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Well, looks like he wants do do an article on me lol. Not sure how I'm going to proceed at this point. Techres, he is obviously interested in shooting at a range. I've only introduced shooting to 3 or so people, who are all family members, maybe the 3 of us could meet up at a range some time?

I figure being an Obama demographic gun-owner has sparked his interest in me?

And yet, he has not responded to my offer, or for that matter any of my emails. He wants you and pictures of you... Interesting, and concerning.

Yes, we could go and it would be doable, but we need a game plan and some boundaries. I would suggest we take him, but the cost of a range trip is him telling us more of his opinion. The cost of the pics is some semblance of honesty. If this is not a dialogue, then he can play alone and without our help. The most important thing Nate is DO NOT go alone to meet with him, have a second person there to help vet his questions and be careful with the answers. There is a reason people in the press a lot have handlers to keep them off of page 1 in a compromising picture. Stress safety and do not let him tempt you into anything that might be unsafe or seen as unsafe.

The funny thing is this article is about you Nate. If anyone is as risk for getting info misused, it is those at IU. Lord help a professor without tenure when his fellows find out that he has a carry permit. No gun needed for the treatment he will receive.

Jack Ryan, I understand you seeing this as fickle, but that is not exactly it. I do not care if people know I carry. I do care if criminals get my address with the tag - guns likely inside even if the owners are not. And my wife *might* face some hassle as well given her work. There are others that could pay much stiffer prices.

But more than that is the issue of the press using, for their financial gain and entertainment, the private information of individuals even though it could hurt others directly. Furthermore, they might just do so specifically in order to push an agenda. Is this a surprise? No. It is something to fight over? Yes. And I do not see that as fickle.

Nate, I want to take him to the range but I want us to frame that event.

techres

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I always get a kick out of Jack Ryan's posts. I am thinking he hit the nail on the head this time. Although I agree that it is really not any of the medias business who has an LTCH, I personally do not have a problem with people knowing that I am a gun owner.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Jack Ryan, I understand you seeing this as fickle, but that is not exactly it. I do not care if people know I carry. I do care if criminals get my address with the tag - guns likely inside even if the owners are not. And my wife *might* face some hassle as well given her work. There are others that could pay much stiffer prices.

techres

Just to be fully honest and serious for a moment, I see it as melodrama more than fickle. Pretty much the same way I see about 99% of the "OMG! I OC'd today!" threads. Drama made where there is none.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I always get a kick out of Jack Ryan's posts. I am thinking he hit the nail on the head this time. Although I agree that it is really not any of the medias business who has an LTCH, I personally do not have a problem with people knowing that I am a gun owner.

And that is fine, and your decision to make. Which is the whole point.

The one point I would love to ask the editorial staff is this:

If the database is legal, is publically available, and technically not containing any information that could legally get someone fired, but likely could cause trouble, potential firing, and even possible harm, do you still intend to release it?

So, then, if there was a lawfully built database of all the people in Monroe county who were gay, would you put that list up as well? I mean, those people could not get fired (legally) and the list would generate alot of hits and you could wash your hands of those results too.

Would the HT do it?

Of course not.

Oh, and Nate, you MUST get him the legal code explaining that the LTCH is required to take your handgun to the range. Explain how vital it is as a requirement for safety and expertise... I think he does not get that.

JLB768

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Bloomington
    Jack, this aint about people knowing we carry, it's about publishing our name, address, and phone numbers, for all to see. I'd be pi**ed if my daughter was in hiding from a violent ex, and her address & phone number were put in print, because she chose to legally carry a firearm. With our name and address in print, all one has to do, is google map themselves to our front door. That's a serious concern.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Jack, this aint about people knowing we carry, it's about publishing our name, address, and phone numbers, for all to see. I'd be pi**ed if my daughter was in hiding from a violent ex, and her address & phone number were put in print, because she chose to legally carry a firearm. With our name and address in print, all one has to do, is google map themselves to our front door. That's a serious concern.

Ever hear of a phone book? That same google will find every thing you are worried about.

I have a hard time working up any real concern, though I don't like it either, about it. I think most people jumping on the "I'm OUTRAGED!" band wagon here just need a cause to feel they are doing something that matters. Fickle, because they want a reason to be OUTRAGED. It would be funny if there weren't so many thinking it's a real issue. Waving flags and marching in front of cameras one day, educating the public the next, then suddenly they get what they want and they turn in to "double naught spie". LOL

"Nice hat Jethro."
    "Why don't you just anounce to the whole world I'm carrying a gun!"
    Must be a lot of "Evansville" guys here. ROTFL.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    "Nice hat Jethro."

Jack, again, I am happy to let the world know. I have a wife who does not. My choice is mine, and her choice is hers. Getting to exercise her 2A right should not remove her right to privacy.

There is no hypocrisy here either. Trust me, she will never be on the stairs or wander around town with an INGO hat. As much as I wish she would, that ain't gonna happen. I might, but not her.

JLB768

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Bloomington
    Ever hear of a phone book? That same google will find every thing you are worried about.

I have a hard time working up any real concern, though I don't like it either, about it. I think most people jumping on the "I'm OUTRAGED!" band wagon here just need a cause to feel they are doing something that matters. Fickle, because they want a reason to be OUTRAGED. It would be funny if there weren't so many thinking it's a real issue. Waving flags and marching in front of cameras one day, educating the public the next, then suddenly they get what they want and they turn in to "double naught spie". LOL

"Nice hat Jethro."

I have heard of a phone book, ever heard the term unlisted number?

JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    Imagine the article he could write about our paranoia if he reads this forum. JK-- I know we are expressing our concerns and honestly discussing issues that concern us, but to the uninformed or those with other motivations, we might be made to look a bit (LOT) crazy!!!!

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I would not tell a reporter whether I use Charmin or Cottonelle. As for "outing" an abused female hiding from a violent ex, who uses the Restraining Order like toilet paper. When he uses the LTCH "out" info to track down and kill the woman, the media will say guns are useless for protection.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    And yet, he has not responded to my offer, or for that matter any of my emails. He wants you and pictures of you... Interesting, and concerning.
    It's my boyish good looks :):

Really though, I figure his interest in me is based on me being perceived as a more "newsworthy" gun owner if that makes sense. You know, an IU student that, GASP, has GUNS! :dunno:. That and the fact that I most likely asked him to go to the range before you did. I shot him the first email and follow up very soon after this was published on here.
    Yes, we could go and it would be doable, but we need a game plan and some boundaries. I would suggest we take him, but the cost of a range trip is him telling us more of his opinion. The cost of the pics is some semblance of honesty. If this is not a dialogue, then he can play alone and without our help. The most important thing Nate is DO NOT go alone to meet with him, have a second person there to help vet his questions and be careful with the answers. There is a reason people in the press a lot have handlers to keep them off of page 1 in a compromising picture. Stress safety and do not let him tempt you into anything that might be unsafe or seen as unsafe.
    That sounds good to me. I worked in DC last summer, I know handlers lol. He seems more than willing to listen, at least to me, and I see his acceptance to shoot at least as an openness to hear our side. I did however shoot him an email asking what the gist of the article would be.

The funny thing is this article is about you Nate. If anyone is as risk for getting info misused, it is those at IU. Lord help a professor without tenure when his fellows find out that he has a carry permit. No gun needed for the treatment he will receive.
    I feel no danger for myself. I know, that may be naive, but I talk guns in school. I wear my INGunowners hat. I wrote a 25 page paper on why the Supreme Court should overturn the Circuit's decision in McDonald v Chicago and incorporate the 2nd Amendment against the states. The school rules are clear, I can't buy a gun on their network/computers, and I can't carry.

This was also a point I stressed. I made him aware that I would not be interested in going any further if at any point the HT plans on publishing personal information beyond what I will provide to him. I will not put my family or myself in danger because he wants to write an article.

But more than that is the issue of the press using, for their financial gain and entertainment, the private information of individuals even though it could hurt others directly. Furthermore, they might just do so specifically in order to push an agenda. Is this a surprise? No. It is something to fight over? Yes. And I do not see that as fickle.

Nate, I want to take him to the range but I want us to frame that event.

techres
    Agreed, and agreed. Doing nothing is not an option. We, as gun owners should let people know what is acceptable, and sitting back and complaining about the media gets you nowhere. Especially if we sit back and complain after they publish addresses.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland

"Nice hat Jethro."

Not really true. I'm in the LTCH database, but I am not listed anywhere in the public domain. No phonebook. No google hit on address. Not even those pay sites that try to find people when no hits are returned in the whitepages doesn't have me. No deed or land in my name. No nothin', EXCEPT the LTCH database.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Not really true. I'm in the LTCH database, but I am not listed anywhere in the public domain. No phonebook. No google hit on address. Not even those pay sites that try to find people when no hits are returned in the whitepages doesn't have me. No deed or land in my name. No nothin', EXCEPT the LTCH database.

It's my boyish good looks :):

Really though, I figure his interest in me is based on me being perceived as a more "newsworthy" gun owner if that makes sense. You know, an IU student that, GASP, has GUNS! :dunno:. That and the fact that I most likely asked him to go to the range before you did. I shot him the first email and follow up very soon after this was published on here.

ROTFLM, yep. Yer discrete alright. Probably the most discrete male college student on the IU campus who has guns, shoots, has posted 3,000 and some posts about himself on INGO and emails reporters.

LOL, I can see why yer so upset 'bout it.

Make sure he get's yer picture from your "good" side. :rolleyes:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    ROTFLM, yep. Yer discrete alright. Probably the most discrete male college student on the IU campus who has guns, shoots, has posted 3,000 and some posts about himself on INGO and emails reporters.

LOL, I can see why yer so upset 'bout it.

Make sure he get's yer picture from your "good" side. :rolleyes:

Um, I'm not really sure what that has to do about my ADDRESS. That's what the concern is about on my end, I could give a rats azz if people know I have guns. I'm not sure what your problem is when people try to do something instead of spouting off on everything they see on the 'net? :dunno:

Top Bottom