• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Good review Evan. My only issue is still with the interference with carbine/rifle. It has become obvious that this will vary by each individual. Your pictures clearly showing you having no problems, this is not the case for me. This is another thing that must be tried out in person I gues.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    According to TCI, MSA Sordin has made several changes to these that seem to be detrimental to their performance and they will be discontinued. For instance the new model drops battery life from 600 hours to 200 hours.

Back in April when I purchased mine from TCI they had the same note listed on their website. The rep at TCI said they were, at the time, in talks with MSA about NOT making such changes. Perhaps they couldn't convince them.

If this is indeed the case going forward, it just puts another check mark in the column of the Peltor Tactical Sports.

My only issue is still with the interference with carbine/rifle. It has become obvious that this will vary by each individual.

As I've been prepping for this review, I've taken notice of other people's earpro at various shooting events. One thing I noticed was that I tend to wear mine "higher" on my head than others. This could be a factor in why the Impact Sports didn't fit me well, and why others may still have stock interface issues. So you are correct that it will very based on the individual shooter.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Electronic muffs on slickguns

I find that the conversation is good until a salvo of fire, then the fire as well as the conversation get blocked out. (Unless you are talking to a person who knows to raise their voice at each pull of the trigger...) They are good if you and the person you are talking with are the only people shooting. I tried mine at the m&s, they didn't work so well due to the random salvos.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The cheaper clipping models suck when used at a public type range. Tried them, hated them.
    After this review, I'm saving for the more expensive "compression" type.
    For now, standard old style muffs.
    Thanks for the review.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I find that the conversation is good until a salvo of fire, then the fire as well as the conversation get blocked out.

That is due to the peak clipping of the Impact Sports. Compression muffs will take care of that.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I think the importance of compression vs clipping is much more important with the size of the range you are shooting at. I'm normally one of very few out at Martinsville, so the clipping isn't annoying. I had not checked prices on compression style in a while and it is great to see quality ones being much cheaper now.

I keep a pair of Impact Sports on the night table and never take them shooting so they are always there. You can ramp up the sound and have "super" hearing, and also won't have to worry about temporary hearing loss if you were forced to shoot in your home.

Anyone using the around the back style muffs? The problem I have with most muffs when shooting rifle is that I like to wear a booney hat for sun protection. This drops me back into in ear protection. I've seen Peltor 6S with this, but I'm pretty sure these are just clipping technology as well.

Also, one thing I didn't see mentioned. With the ability of all of these to have higher than natural volume when not being compressed, it gives you the option of using them OVER in ear protection for serious firing lines (multiple high caliber rifles). You will still be able to make out commands through the in ear protection, due to the high volume of the muffs, but have almost 30 dB hearing protection.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Wow, fantastic review. Thanks a lot for all of the time I'm sure you spent on this. I was just thinking about popping on the HLs, but now you have me thinking about the next two levels. Hmmm... Decisions, decisions.

Maybe I need to convince a couple of buddies to buy different sets so I can try em out first. Haha. That's the bad thing about e-hearing pro; it's kinda tough to try before you buy.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    A fellow INGOer told me he just ordered the Peltor Tactical Sports from Amazon.com for $93. Perhaps that will help sway you? :D

Amazon.com: Peltor 97451 Tactical Sport Hearing Protector: Home Improvement

Thanks to your review, I've just placed an order for them as well. I was going to get the band behind the head ones, but I do not like the difficulty that getting to the battery compartment is. Hopefully, this set of ear pro will not squeeze on my jaw and cause quite painful discomfort after a few hours. If so, the gel ear pads might be in order.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    GREAT review ESRICE! I do wish you would have included (or would include in the future) the Peltor 6S. I know they are very popular, but I would like to see how they stacked up.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Well done, Evan, but you're just reinforcing the conclusions I came to several years ago. As you well know, I am a bit of a Peltor Tac Sport evangelist. ;) I've used my Tac Sports in a variety of environments, and have never had an issue with moisture penetration into the electronics. Also, the gel seal upgrade makes a world of difference, and I highly recommend it.

I've also considered taking the orange inserts (which I will likely never use) and spraying them OD, tan or camo just to have a different look.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FalconRC369
    Top Bottom