• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fathouse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Franklin, Indiana USA
    Evan, I basically have the same gun, I learned more about ny gun reading your review!

What kind of ammo are u running thru this thing. I want to order a decent amount and keep confusing myself the more I read about it. Just basic range stuff out to ~200 yards tops I would say.

Fathouse

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What kind of ammo are u running thru this thing.

We run several different varieties including PMC, Precision Cartridge, handloads, and other miscellaneous stuff. We haven't run anything steel cased.

I want to order a decent amount and keep confusing myself the more I read about it. Just basic range stuff out to ~200 yards tops I would say.

For basic range work, something cheap and easy like PMC works well.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Should I spend the extra $ for a heavy bullet for the 1:7 twist barrel or does it not matter on "short" range stuff.

0-50 yards for training or range work I personally don't have any issues using 55gr stuff. If I was really wanting to hit further out with more precision I'd probably go heavier. My HD loads are heavier.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So these are basically only available by direct order from the manufacturer?

No, you can also get them from dealers that carry the Spike's line (although its rare for them to have one in-stock, due to their popularity).

Bradis, for example, is a Spike's dealer.

HawkI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Behind the sights, a
    hey, fairly new here, so basic question. What is the difference in teh LE Carbine and the Mid-length other than about $10? I'm sure the answer is in the specs somewhere, but I'm not finding it it (rather extensive). Would appreciate someone being nice to a newbie :). Also, thanks SO much for the article, A++++. I am anticipating the show this weekend and have been debating an AK or AR, so this was helpful to know there is something decent at a fair price!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    but do you know of any dealers that are closer to the Fort Wayne area?

21st Century Firearms is up there in Bluffton, but I'm not sure if they are a Spike's dealer or not.

What is the difference in teh LE Carbine and the Mid-length other than about $10?

In this case, 'carbine' and 'mid-length' refers to the gas system. The barrel is still the same length, but the 'mid-length' version has a slightly longer gas system.

Carbine
    556%20M4%20%20Complete_MED.jpg

Mid-length
    Midlength%20Complete%20LE_MED.jpg

Middys seem to be the new hotness these days, reportedly providing softer recoil and less wear 'n tear on mechanical parts. Practically speaking, the handguard is longer, so you'll have to keep that in mind if you later decide to slap on a railed handguard, as you'll need the right size (not the typical 7").

If I had it to do all over again I probably would've nudged lovemywoods to go with the middy, but only because we already have a couple carbine configurations and it would've been nice to mix it up a bit.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    21st Century Firearms is up there in Bluffton, but I'm not sure if they are a Spike's dealer or not.

In this case, 'carbine' and 'mid-length' refers to the gas system. The barrel is still the same length, but the 'mid-length' version has a slightly longer gas system.

Carbine

Mid-length

Middys seem to be the new hotness these days, reportedly providing softer recoil and less wear 'n tear on mechanical parts. Practically speaking, the handguard is longer, so you'll have to keep that in mind if you later decide to slap on a railed handguard, as you'll need the right size (not the typical 7").

If I had it to do all over again I probably would've nudged lovemywoods to go with the middy, but only because we already have a couple carbine configurations and it would've been nice to mix it up a bit.

I ordered a mid length because it seemed to have some minor upsides with no downside. Also, as I decided to keep the stock front sight, the sight base is longer. Couldn't find a single reason to get a carbine length system.

HawkI

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Behind the sights, a

Carbine
    556%20M4%20%20Complete_MED.jpg

Mid-length
    Midlength%20Complete%20LE_MED.jpg

Thanks, that does help!

j. villarreal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Have you guys had any more fun time with the Spike's or made any more mods?

Would you say that the Spike's Tactical rifle is better than any other AR at its pricepoint (in your experience)? I ask because I'm really close to purchasing an AR and am wondering if I should get in line for a Spike's or be looking somewhere else for a sub-$1000 AR. The production wait would be killer, but if it's a better rifle I can learn patience. :)

Jason

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Have you guys had any more fun time with the Spike's or made any more mods?

Not recently. Although I will have it back out for a training day in 2 weeks.

Would you say that the Spike's Tactical rifle is better than any other AR at its pricepoint (in your experience)?

Yes.

The wait does suck, but I think you will be glad a year or so down the road when you can really appreciate the reliability and quality features.

tb8520

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    my next gun will definitely be a spikes tactical. I currently own an Anvil Arms ar15 and now that they are gone spikes is it.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Not recently. Although I will have it back out for a training day in 2 weeks.

Yes.

The wait does suck, but I think you will be glad a year or so down the road when you can really appreciate the reliability and quality features.

I was all set up to get a Stag Model 3 upper for my newest build, but I had been thinking just a little about the Spike's. This review did it. I ordered the Spike's today from an online dealer who happened to have exactly one in stock! I'm expecting it on Saturday (good deal on 2nd day air), along with a nice Eotech set-up with a 5x magnifier on a flip mount. This is going to be my swine smacker!

I've heard mixed messages on whether 1/7 twist rate barrels are accurate or not with 55 grain ammo. I shoot mostly 55 or 62 grain bullets, so I'm hoping it does well. I am looking at SSA ammo with 70 grain Barnes TSX bullets for hogs, though. I'm betting this thing will sling those things well, and knock big hogs down where they stand.

I'll post some pics at some point. I'm ultimately looking to go with foliage green furniture, since it will be a hunting rifle. It will also be my SHTF go-to gun.

Thanks for a great review and the updates. That thing has come along nicely. How do you like the new stock? That's one I'm considering for mine, too.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Well, my Spike's won't arrive until Tuesday. I feel really badly for the guys waiting longer than that for theirs!

I went ahead and ordered a MOE stock. I checked my other carbine's MOE stock and it is rock solid. The MOE weighs 1/2 pound less than the ACS. That, along with the price were the reasons I went with the MOE. I'll be humping around the woods of east central Texas looking for hogs, so weight was important. I went ahead and ordered a bunch of other foliage green parts, too. This thing should be fun. I'll come back with pics as soon as I get it together.

Let us know what happens when you shoot for accuracy. I'm thinking of spending a day with a scope on mine and dialing it in for the best ammo combination at 100 yards, then I'll put the Eotech back on.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Well, my Spike's won't arrive until Tuesday. I feel really badly for the guys waiting longer than that for theirs!

Congrats!

I went ahead and ordered a MOE stock.

My favorite stock is the CTR. If I didn't want the QD slots or friction lock, the MOE is an excellent value alternative.

Let us know what happens when you shoot for accuracy. I'm thinking of spending a day with a scope on mine and dialing it in for the best ammo combination at 100 yards, then I'll put the Eotech back on.

Sounds like a plan! I think we need to toss on the Accupoint and see what we can do at 100 also!

Top Bottom