• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I'm going to guess that your father isn't a wheelgun guy... if he was, he'd already know which one he wants.

I'm not a wheelgun guy either, yet I own a newer GP100 and a pre-lock pre-mim 686-4, both with 4" barrels. As a non-wheelgun guru, I like them both equally from a shooting standpoint, though I suspect the 686-4 is (and will always be) more valuable unless Ruger goes to aluminum frames.

Like me, I think he'll be happy with either one...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you want a 6" GP100, there's a blued one in the Point Blank used case in Greenwood. It's got the Match Champion grip, $499. I'm honestly not sure if that's a good price on a used one or not, just throwing it out there.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    ^ that's a decent price. The match champion grip doesn't fit me well. The factory rubber one doesn't either though. I just ordered another "classic rubber/wood" style Ruger grip for my 4". That grip fits me great. My 6" & 4" will soon be wearing the same Altamont grips. :)

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I've owned both. I ended up gravitating more towards S&W. With just a bit of modest gunsmithing with spring swaps, I felt like I could take the S&W trigger farther than I could the Ruger. To me, the Smith feels more refined, with better fit and finish, whereas the Ruger feels more beefy and rugged. I *really* like the Ruger's modular design, and how easy it is to break down quickly to a bare frame. Both are plenty accurate.

All this said, the one gun I regret letting go of was an early example of the Match Champion that I traded for a S&W NM 66 Combat Magnum. It had the fixed Novak rear sight. I love the NM 66, but I'm always on the lookout for a good deal on the MC with the adjustable rear sight. It was my first revolver, and just silly fun with 38 Specials. I might as well have been shooting a squirt gun.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Yet here you are standing before me with the Smith and Wesson on your side...You are happier with the Smith and Wesson....ADMIT IT!!!! (Seriously I am right here in front of you bro typing this...Just fess up bro):)

No...He still says he likes them both the same...

Remember... I typically carry a 9mm, either a CZ SP-01 or an M&P FS.

Another way to look at it.... I'd be more upset if the 686 were stolen, but I'd probably sell the 686 before I sold the GP100. :)

BFR50-110

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Montgomery County
    I own several Ruger revolvers and have never had a single issue with any of them. My dad has several Smith and Wesson revolvers as well as Rugers and almost every Smith has been back to the factory or to a gunsmith.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    There are several threads on this site about Ruger revolvers that had problems and went back for repairs.
    Are there more about S&W revolver problems? Maybe but S&W sells more revolvers than Ruger so that is expected. S&W has never refuse to fix a gun for any of my customers even when it was the customers fault.
    Do some get out that shouldn't? Yes but I have never seen a manufacturer that hasn't had some bad one get out.
    All guns are built to a price point and they could make them better but would you pay the extra for the extra care?
    FWIW most of the guns that come into my shop for action work are fine and even the rare one that has problems the gun will still work it just isn't as good as it maybe should be.

I find it funny when some say that the old S&W revolvers were built way better than the new ones.
    I have worked on a lots of old and new ones and have seen just as many old ones that came from the factory screwed up as I have new ones and the fit and finish inside isn't even close to the new ones.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    There are several threads on this site about Ruger revolvers that had problems and went back for repairs.
    Are there more about S&W revolver problems? Maybe but S&W sells more revolvers than Ruger so that is expected. S&W has never refuse to fix a gun for any of my customers even when it was the customers fault.
    Do some get out that shouldn't? Yes but I have never seen a manufacturer that hasn't had some bad one get out.
    All guns are built to a price point and they could make them better but would you pay the extra for the extra care?
    FWIW most of the guns that come into my shop for action work are fine and even the rare one that has problems the gun will still work it just isn't as good as it maybe should be.

I find it funny when some say that the old S&W revolvers were built way better than the new ones.
    I have worked on a lots of old and new ones and have seen some just as many old ones that came from the factory screwed up as I have new ones and the fit and finish inside isn't even close to the new ones.

How dare you inject some logic here! According to the interwebz every gun manufacturer is making nothing but lemons, yet I can't seem to find one.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

I have worked on a lots of old and new ones and have seen just as many old ones that came from the factory screwed up as I have new ones and the fit and finish inside isn't even close to the new ones.

I don't have much of a dog in the fight as I won't seriously consider anything but a S&W if I'm looking for a revolver but they're far from perfect. I walked into a local store several years ago and there were 10-12 brand new S&W revolvers in the case. Every single one of them had the same issue (crooked barrel) that I just sent my brand new 340 back for.

I don't have the experience of others on here to say if S&W is better or worse in this regard than any other manufacturer but from what experience I do have, they definitely have room for improvement.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've put a lot of rounds, fired double-action, through Ruger Security Sixes, as well as, pre-lock S&W revolvers. I was never a big fan of the coil mainspring that Ruger uses. I prefer the leaf spring of the k and n frame older S&W revolvers. The l frame is the best choice for .357 mag, for a lot of range shooting or hunting IMHO. Over the years, both companies have produced lemons and have gone through periods when their QC wasn't of the highest standards. S&W seems to be having more issues now than one would expect, as I witnessed at the last NRA meeting in Louisville. That being said, just because someone buys a pre-lock S&W, doesn't mean that there won't be issues. I've personally witnessed a few S&W lemons from the 70's and 80's. I've also seen problem Ruger revolvers, some brand new. The good news is that both companies have an excellent reputation for backing their products. One thing I like about the old pre-lock Smiths is that they are pretty straight forward internally, if one is competent and knows his limitations he can learn to do fundamental repairs. Neither brand revolver is a bad choice. The nuances make one preferable over another for individuals. That being said, I own S&W revolvers, with the exception of a Charter Arms Undercover. I don't own any Ruger guns, now, at all and don't miss the few I've owned.

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    If you want a 6" GP100, there's a blued one in the Point Blank used case in Greenwood. It's got the Match Champion grip, $499. I'm honestly not sure if that's a good price on a used one or not, just throwing it out there.

I'd pay it if I was in the market and the condition was good. (tight gap, etc).

If I were in the wheelgun market, I'd probably buy used if I can. The heyday of the wheelgun is past, so current production is much sloppier and by people with less experience and skill. Unless you are buying a Korth, but I'm guessing not.

Ideally, something made before mid-1980s, I'd think.

One revolver I would DEFINITELY want to consider buying new is the DW715. Unfortunately, there are reports of series reliability issues with the recent production, suggesting a new one may not live up to the hype.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Ruger gets my vote. Never have liked Smith anything.

I like the look and feel of the Ruger and they are real work horses.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It's not a double action, but I love my Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt.
    Accurate, 100% reliable, easy to clean, and built like a tank, so much so that there's actually a separate category of .45 Colt reloading data in the manuals exclusively for the Blackhawk and T/C Contender.
    The trigger is also not half bad,

Top Bottom