• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    There are several threads on this site about Ruger revolvers that had problems and went back for repairs.
    Are there more about S&W revolver problems? Maybe but S&W sells more revolvers than Ruger so that is expected. S&W has never refuse to fix a gun for any of my customers even when it was the customers fault.
    Do some get out that shouldn't? Yes but I have never seen a manufacturer that hasn't had some bad one get out.
    All guns are built to a price point and they could make them better but would you pay the extra for the extra care?
    FWIW most of the guns that come into my shop for action work are fine and even the rare one that has problems the gun will still work it just isn't as good as it maybe should be.

I find it funny when some say that the old S&W revolvers were built way better than the new ones.
    I have worked on a lots of old and new ones and have seen just as many old ones that came from the factory screwed up as I have new ones and the fit and finish inside isn't even close to the new ones.

They refused to fix or replace this one despite it being a known issue with this model, they over torqued the barrels a quite a few of them cracked the frame...I was out a good bit of money on this one...S&W will not honor warranties!

crackedframe_zps334a7522.jpg

crackedframe2_zps9ef9757f.jpg

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    They refused to fix or replace this one despite it being a known issue with this model, they over torqued the barrels a quite a few of them cracked the frame...I was out a good bit of money on this one...S&W will not honor warranties!

crackedframe_zps334a7522.jpg

crackedframe2_zps9ef9757f.jpg

I stand by what I said they have even fixed some guns that were the customers fault.
    Don't get me wrong I see stuff all the time that should not have left the factory the way it was(not just S&W BTW). I have sent guns back for repair and it wasn't done right so back they went again to be fixed right.
    Seems it depends on who you get on the phone as there is some inconsistency with the results.
    Lifetime warranty only applies to original purchaser but they have fixed guns that have been sold several times including a couple for me.
    Lifetime warranty started on guns after 1989 IIRC.
    I have heard internet story's of guns not getting fixed because owner didn't send warranty card in but don't know anyone that has happened to personally.
    While they didn't fix your gun to make a blanket statement that they won't honor their warranty is just not true because I know that they have for many including me.
    Just curious why did they deny to fix the gun? I remember when you posted this originally but don't remember the details.
    Sorry they didn't take care of you and FWIW I can't see why they wouldn't fix that under warranty.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I stand by what I said they have even fixed some guns that were the customers fault.
    Don't get me wrong I see stuff all the time that should not have left the factory the way it was(not just S&W BTW). I have sent guns back for repair and it wasn't done right so back they went again to be fixed right.
    Seems it depends on who you get on the phone as there is some inconsistency with the results.
    Lifetime warranty only applies to original purchaser but they have fixed guns that have been sold several times including a couple for me.
    I have heard internet story's of guns not getting fixed because owner didn't send warranty card in but don't know anyone that has happened to personally.
    While they didn't fix your gun to make a blanket statement that they won't honor their warranty is just not true because I know that they have for many including me.
    Just curious why did they deny to fix the gun? I remember when you posted this originally but don't remember the details.
    Sorry they didn't take care of you and FWIW I can't see why they wouldn't fix that under warranty.

I'll venture a guess that they didn't fix that revolver because it's basically impossible to repair a severe crack that goes clear through the frame of the gun itself, meaning that the only other option was outright replacement.
    Not saying that was right, and it's possible that I'm mistaken, but that damage appears to be in a part integral with the serial numbered frame itself.
    I've seen these photos a few times before, and I have to wonder exactly why S&W didn't agree to replace the revolver since it looks irreparable.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Don't get me wrong I see stuff all the time that should not have left the factory the way it was(not just S&W BTW). I have sent guns back for repair and it wasn't done right so back they went again to be fixed right. :popcorn:
    :popcorn:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have had excellent customer service from Smith and Wesson and from Ruger as well....I love them both...I just love the Smith and Wesson's more...My single actions are Rugers, my double actions are Smith and Wesson....

I embrace birevolveruallity fully....Don't judge me....

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have had excellent customer service from Smith and Wesson and from Ruger as well....I love them both...I just love the Smith and Wesson's more...My single actions are Rugers, my double actions are Smith and Wesson....

I embrace birevolveruallity fully....Don't judge me....
    I figured you'd say something like, "revovlvers are a passing fad, nobody needs that many shots."

:oldwise:

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I just said upthread that I was more of a S&W guy, but ran across this 3" SP101 recently for a ridiculous price... couldn't pass it up. Had it stripped down to the frame in a matter of minutes for a thorough cleaning and light lubing. Ordered some Wilson Combat springs and an XS Express front night sight. I'd like to find some hammer shims, but otherwise, this ended up being a killer of a deal that will outlast anything I could put through it. It might even make its way into my EDC rotation.

Kind of a crummy cell phone picture, but it's pretty spotless.

20161013_162350_zpssxpclmd3.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Ithaca45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2014
    United States
    I have a S&W model 60 Pro series that shoots fantastic. After I had it a couple months the night sight went dead. I sent it back and in about two weeks it was back with a new night sight. I also own 4 Ruger revolvers and two had to go back to Ruger. The Redhawk got a whole new trigger assembly and the New Bearcat Shopkeeper got a new retaining rod after it locked up. Each took about two weeks just like the Smith. I would buy another of either and think nothing of it.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I've been torn between a SP101 or a Model 60/640 for a while. I like my 642, but it's not fun to shoot. I go back and fourth all the time, will probably end up with both at some point. This guy has some really nice things. I REALLY like that Model 60.

[video=youtube;tEmhgHPaAZ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEmhgHPaAZ0[/video]

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I've been torn between a SP101 or a Model 60/640 for a while. I like my 642, but it's not fun to shoot. I go back and fourth all the time, will probably end up with both at some point. This guy has some really nice things. I REALLY like that Model 60.

I have both the SP101 and 640. I've installed the Apex spring kit and extended firing pin in the 640, so the trigger on that is night and day better than the (currently) stock SP101. The SP101 will soon get a new mainspring, which will make a big difference, but I still suspect the 640 trigger will be noticeably better. The SP101 is a solid, robust chunk of steel. I think it will end up being the more pleasant of the two to shoot, and more accurate with the 3" barrel, but also a bit heavier and slightly less comfy to carry.

I've always thought the S&W models had a better fit-and-finish, but so far, the SP101 seems to be screwed together very nicely.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have both. My answer to rookie's original post is that their is no wrong answer. They are both very good revolvers. Flip a coin and you will be happy either way.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I just wanted to mention something that many folks may not already know, which is that Ruger had no warranty back in the 1980s.
    I snapped the aluminum grip frame on my .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk due to heavy recoil while firing stout 200 grain SWC loads out of it in 1989, when I had owned it for not even a year.
    The reason that I know they didn't have a warranty at that time is because I had to pay for the repairs, which cost $90.
    They replaced the grip frame with a steel frame, put the lower and wider Super Blackhawk style hammer on it, then touched up the few little bluing scuffs and tightened things up a bit.
    Those little replacements have made my Blackhawk not only more durable, but much more pleasurable (surprised by how much I like that new hammer) to shoot, given the extra few ounces of weight added by the new parts.
    Ruger having a warranty now is a relatively new policy.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Ruger only has a warranty on guns they still have parts for. Older SP101s, Security Sixs, old Red Labels, 181 series Mini 14s, Deerfields, and a few others, you're hosed and have to find parts elsewhere or gunsmiths who'll work on them.

S&W only has a lifetime warranty on guns made after 1986 or 83 I believe. Anything made before that you generally have to pay for them to repair.

Rugers work. But I like S&W revolvers a lot more

Top Bottom