• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bb37

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    North of US40
    Recently, I've begun to consider a gun range to be a good place for a private sale.
    Just be aware that some ranges, especially indoor ranges, are FFLs and they could have the same concerns as Alberson's about doing personal bidness in the parking lot. Many outdoor ranges are out in the middle of nowhere which could negate the idea of doing a FTF transfer in a public place.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Anyone have a link to the actual law on this?

I'd like to see that law myself.
    Many times in my life when a deal has fallen through on someone trying to sell a firearm to a dealer with the dealer's permission I have bought said firearm in the parking lot then and there.
    But always with the gunstores approval.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Your place, your rules. Bradis has the same policy. Other gun stores do not. I've been sticking to the same spot last several times which has worked well.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I actually made deal on a rifle in a gun shop after shop owner decided it the seller was asking to much. Shop owner said nothing and honestly didn't care. He had his chance and passed, then I pounced. It was and still is the best deal I have made on a Mosin.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Your place, your rules. Bradis has the same policy. Other gun stores do not. I've been sticking to the same spot last several times which has worked well.

How did you find out Bradis has the same policy? I don't see anything on their website or Facebook page.
    Dan

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN

How did you find out Bradis has the same policy? I don't see anything on their website or Facebook page.
    Dan

I and another member were chastised once at Bradis II for meeting there for an ammo sale. Guy very brusquely told us to take it to the gas station next door, knowing full well it was ammo not a gun. I agree though, law or not, their house their rules.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ATF agents misquote or fabricate laws the same as anyone else can. Don't pay them much mind absent an actual statute.

Since there is nothing illegal about it, if the store doesn't want private firearm transactions (or anything else, for any reason or none) happening in their parking lot, they should probably post a request in the lot large enough to be noticed and possibly honored.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Thanks for all of the input, I think we will continue to err on the side of caution.

We do own the building, as well as the parking lot.

Please feel free to use us as a transfer agent for those interested in going through the NICS system for private party sales. Mention this post and we will see what we can do to make the transfer fee go away.

:yesway: ^^^^This sounds very reasonable, to me.

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I and another member were chastised once at Bradis II for meeting there for an ammo sale. Guy very brusquely told us to take it to the gas station next door, knowing full well it was ammo not a gun. I agree though, law or not, their house their rules.

Thanks.
    Dan

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Thanks for all of the input, I think we will continue to err on the side of caution.

Please feel free to use us as a transfer agent for those interested in going through the NICS system for private party sales. Mention this post and we will see what we can do to make the transfer fee go away.

THIS, is awesome !!!!!

This is the second time, that I have said something good

about this business, and I have NEVER been there !!!!!

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison

Sounds like a great deal to me. If I was meeting someone I didn't have a good personal relationship with, a NICS check through an FFL seems like a good step towards preventing a firearm I have an association with used in a crime.

I'm an 'Err on the side of caution' guy myself.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    images

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    While I find it very stand up for the OP to offer to do the 4473 at a reduced cost or even free if you mention this thread, I would have to pass on the offer for the following reasons.

1) It is not required for a private sale
    2) What if the OP runs the 4473 and the buyer comes back delayed?
    3) I don't do deals when people want a BOS from me so why give the Government info that none of their business.

I also agree that it would be much less abrasive if I saw a sign posted instead of someone coming out and confronting me.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    While I find it very stand up for the OP to offer to do the 4473 at a reduced cost or even free if you mention this thread, I would have to pass on the offer for the following reasons.

3) I don't do deals when people want a BOS from me so why give the Government info that none of their business.

I also agree that it would be much less abrasive if I saw a sign posted instead of someone coming out and confronting me.

Nailed it.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A

All very good reasons, I still maintain that people should not be doing deals in the parking lot of an FFL, to me this excludes big box stores such as Gander Mtn. Dicks etc.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    All very good reasons, I still maintain that people should not be doing deals in the parking lot of an FFL, to me this excludes big box stores such as Gander Mtn. Dicks etc.

I agree about it being bad etiquette to do deals in the parking lot of a Gun shop but why are the big box stores exempt?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

I agree about it being bad etiquette to do deals in the parking lot of a Gun shop but why are the big box stores exempt?

I agree, if you don't think its right to do it in a mom and pop FFL, shouldn't do it at a big box FFL either.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Personally, I don't make much of a show out of a private sale. I'm discreet and quick with the deal. We might talk for an hour afterword, but the deal is quiet.

I'll be dealing with another vetted INGOer that has given me all the info I need on what I'm getting. No swinging muzzles around. I'll look closer when I'm home, but there has never been a need to follow up further.

In a big parking lot, you're not readily going to know what kind of a transaction or if a transaction has actually happened.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom