• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I'm in the market for one of these. Has anyone seen a decent price on one?
    Missed mine in the classies by a few weeks :laugh:

Since steel case x39 hit 45cpr they've suddenly been easy to find again. Try gun.deals, wikiarms, or Family Firearms.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Missed mine in the classies by a few weeks :laugh:

Since steel case x39 hit 45cpr they've suddenly been easy to find again. Try gun.deals, wikiarms, or Family Firearms.
    Did your ranch have that modular stock so you can switch out mag well?
    I plan on switching mine to AR 7.62x39mm magazines instead of the Mini 30 magazines.
    I believe the AR mag well is around $30 from Ruger.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Did your ranch have that modular stock so you can switch out mag well?
    I plan on switching mine to AR 7.62x39mm magazines instead of the Mini 30 magazines.
    I believe the AR mag well is around $30 from Ruger.
    Yes. I just used Mini-30 magazines. Not a huge fan of that pattern, but they worked.

My biggest issue with it was the action was slow and sticky using Wolf or Tula steel case. It was a little better with slicker lacquer ammo, and would probably be fine with brass, but I wasn't gonna buy any just for that.

Crazy accuracy with junk ammo, though.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Yes. I just used Mini-30 magazines. Not a huge fan of that pattern, but they worked.

My biggest issue with it was the action was slow and sticky using Wolf or Tula steel case. It was a little better with slicker lacquer ammo, and would probably be fine with brass, but I wasn't gonna buy any just for that.

Crazy accuracy with junk ammo, though.
    Mine will be 95% brass case. Maybe higher since I don't have any steel case 7.62x39mm.
    However, if I ever find it for $5 for 20rds I might buy some again.

Reactions: Ark

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Mine will be 95% brass case. Maybe higher since I don't have any steel case 7.62x39mm.
    However, if I ever find it for $5 for 20rds I might buy some again.
    Should help a lot. My idea was running it in carbine matches, but it just wasn't fast enough with the ammo I had. It's a push feed hunting rifle bolt, perfectly fine for hunting but just not fast.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Should help a lot. My idea was running it in carbine matches, but it just wasn't fast enough with the ammo I had. It's a push feed hunting rifle bolt, perfectly fine for hunting but just not fast.
    Pretty much what I'll be using it for is hunting, and range time.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    I'm in the market for one of these. Has anyone seen a decent price on one?
    Judging by the price of the one on GB I will cut you a deal and sell you mine for $1,200.00!:rofl:

I have only had it for about 5 years with a few hundred rounds through it...for a bolt gun it is still brand new....LOL

Oh word for the rest of you. If you decide to get one take the time to stiffen up the forearm on them. They are pretty flexible and almost always make barrel contact. There are videos in YouTube so choose your poison.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Judging by the price of the one on GB I will cut you a deal and sell you mine for $1,200.00!:rofl:

I have only had it for about 5 years with a few hundred rounds through it...for a bolt gun it is still brand new....LOL

Oh word for the rest of you. If you decide to get one take the time to stiffen up the forearm on them. They are pretty flexible and almost always make barrel contact. There are videos in YouTube so choose your poison.
    What did you do? Epoxy?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

I'll pass on your rifle.
    I can get one including shipping, sales tax ,and transfer for $482

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    What did you do? Epoxy?
    Wellllll.....the front portion of the stock is a waffle patterned.

I went to the hardware store and got a section of solid square aluminum bar stock +-3/8" square. Cut a channel straight down the waffled sections that same width.

Then I went through and drilled and tapped spots in the bar stock at the same locations where the open waffles were.

I put some small screws in the tapped areas so they could sit in the waffled areas (something for the epoxy to grab).

I sanded and cleaned all the waffles to rough them up and get off any oils.

I then nestled the bar stock in with the screws attached and filled the cavities with epoxy.

After cured I went through and sanded everything down with a deep well socket wrapped in sandpaper to insure a smooth finish and no barrel contact.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Posted this in another thread, but I found a guy online that made mag wells for the AK mags to stick in this stock. Unless you have a mini 30, or don't have any AK mags, this seems like a great mod for the rifle. Took some tinkering, but finally got it to work.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Considering that you can get a CZ with a better action and a more functional stock for another $150, that seems expensive to me.
    They aren't making 527's anymore. I already looked around for one.
    It's Ruger Ranch or Howa. Thats the only bolt-action rifles in production right now for 7.62x39mm that is considered a budget knock around rifle.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    They aren't making 527's anymore. I already looked around for one.
    It's Ruger Ranch or Howa. Thats the only bolt-action rifles in production right now for 7.62x39mm that is considered a budget knock around rifle.
    My boss has both. I've handled both and definitely would pick the ruger.

Top Bottom