• ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I'll check them out.
    I thought I read the 600 series were problematic or has those issues been solved now?
    They were recalled early on because they were originally intended to be capable of switching barrels/calibers but were capable of being reassembled wrong and still firing, potentially causing the guns to blow up. They eliminated the switch barrel capability, so it is no longer an issue.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Yes. I just used Mini-30 magazines. Not a huge fan of that pattern, but they worked.

My biggest issue with it was the action was slow and sticky using Wolf or Tula steel case. It was a little better with slicker lacquer ammo, and would probably be fine with brass, but I wasn't gonna buy any just for that.

Crazy accuracy with junk ammo, though.

You have my attention! Define “Crazy Accuracy”! How good?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    You have my attention! Define “Crazy Accuracy”! How good?
    PXL_20230305_174036270.jpg

Still got this in my phone from before selling it. Easy cloverleafs at 50 with Tula accurate.

Obviously the rainbow trajectory and light weight will degrade it fast at distance, but if you can't heart shot a deer at regular deer distance with this rifle, the problem is you.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    View attachment 293423

Still got this in my phone from before selling it. Easy cloverleafs at 50 with Tula accurate.

Obviously the rainbow trajectory and light weight will degrade it fast at distance, but if you can't heart shot a deer at regular deer distance with this rifle, the problem is you.
    O.k. that's 50 yards, but what would it do at 100 yards, or 125?
    I shoot quite a few deer at under 50 yards.
    Years ago I shot one from about 25 yards with a Raging Bull .454 Casull.
    First deer I shot was at 12 feet!
    Accuracy degrades exponentially however, as distances increase.
    I've always considered the 7.62x39 as something like "close enough" at distances.
    Not something I want to hit an animal with unless I know I can get an ethical hit in my mind.
    To each their own.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    O.k. that's 50 yards, but what would it do at 100 yards, or 125?
    I shoot quite a few deer at under 50 yards.
    Years ago I shot one from about 25 yards with a Raging Bull .454 Casull.
    First deer I shot was at 12 feet!
    Accuracy degrades exponentially however, as distances increase.
    I've always considered the 7.62x39 as something like "close enough" at distances.
    Not something I want to hit an animal with unless I know I can get an ethical hit in my mind.
    To each their own.
    IMO, that's pretty good accuracy from cheap steel case ammo even at 50 yards. I would hope that most have enough sense not to hunt with cheap steel cased ammo, especially FMJS which aren't legal. Even if they did, that would still be plenty accurate to make ethical kills out to a sensible limit with the cartridge.

In fact there's almost certainly a bunch of the much vaunted JM stamped Marlins that would struggle to match those groups with the best of ammo. Many old and much hyped bolt actions would do well to match it either, especially with cheap ammo.

The problem with the Ruger American isn't nor has it ever been the accuracy.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    My concerns are accuracy of the round, not the rifle.
    That's why my first two paragraphs were focused primarily on the accuracy of the round. :dunno:

With a decent load from a decent rifle, there's no reason to be concerned about 7.62x39. This particular American apparently even shoots poor loads well.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    That's why my first two paragraphs were focused primarily on the accuracy of the round. :dunno:

With a decent load from a decent rifle, there's no reason to be concerned about 7.62x39. This particular American apparently even shoots poor loads well.
    I was more concerned with a novice hunter.
    Most believe that bolt guns are inherently accurate, and for the most part that's true.
    Much like a finely tuned race car, if you feed it junk gas you get junk performance.

I worry about some idiot trying to turn the 7.62x39 into a 200+ yard round.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My concerns are accuracy of the round, not the rifle.
    Using Hornady SST bullets handloads you can get real good accuracy from the 7.62x39mm out of an AR-15. I'd say it should improve even more from a bolt-action.
    I don't have my information on this load as i stated it got lost in old cellphone when it died.
    IIRC it was under 1 moa out of my AR-15 from a rest.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Another question.
    How much room is there between the barrel and the stock. 1/8" or less?
    I ask because if it isn't at least 1/8" I'll probably sand it until I get at least 1/8" clearance.
    If the stock is that flimsy that should keep the barrel from making contact with the stock. Unless it's really flimsy.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Another question.
    How much room is there between the barrel and the stock. 1/8" or less?
    I ask because if it isn't at least 1/8" I'll probably sand it until I get at least 1/8" clearance.
    If the stock is that flimsy that should keep the barrel from making contact with the stock. Unless it's really flimsy.
    There’s probably not 1/8th inch on my model although it’s 300Blackout. Brownells recently had the Magpul stock with AR magwell on sell so I purchased one. These are nice and have a hefty clearance around the barrel and are very ridged.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    There’s probably not 1/8th inch on my model although it’s 300Blackout. Brownells recently had the Magpul stock with AR magwell on sell so I purchased one. These are nice and have a hefty clearance around the barrel and are very ridged.
    Can you post a picture of the clearance between barrel and stock?

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Can you post a picture of the clearance between barrel and stock?
    This is 10 4x6 cards. And it doesn’t touch at all up until where the receiver bolts into the stock. It’s completely free floater all the way down.

Don’t mind the dirt. Just got back from a hog hunt this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_7339.jpeg
      IMG_7339.jpeg
      432.4 KB · Views: 11
    • IMG_7338.jpeg
      IMG_7338.jpeg
      371.1 KB · Views: 11
    • IMG_7337.jpeg
      IMG_7337.jpeg
      304.1 KB · Views: 11

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    This is 10 4x6 cards. And it doesn’t touch at all up until where the receiver bolts into the stock. It’s completely free floater all the way down.

Don’t mind the dirt. Just got back from a hog hunt this morning.
    Very nice thank you.
    I just put an order in today for my 7.62x39mm Ranch. My plan is to change out the magazine well for the AR mag well and use AR-15 7.62x39mm Duramags.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Got my scope mounted, and lubed, now waiting on the AR magazine well from Ruger. It's supposed to be here tomorrow via FedEx.
    Picked up a 10rd and 20rd Duramag magazine for it as well.
    Now waiting on a chance to take it out and shoot it in. I checked and seen that the rifle lands are .302 caliber. This will handle .308 caliber bullets.
    I have some 125gr Speer TNT bullets I'm thinking about using for deer hunting this year.

Last edited:

IN New Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 13, 2017
    Terre Haute
    Isn't there some differences in bullet/bore diameter in 7.62x39? Seems like US is .308 and Russian is .310 - I read something to that effect several years back. Wonder what caliber this Ruger is bored out for??

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Isn't there some differences in bullet/bore diameter in 7.62x39? Seems like US is .308 and Russian is .310 - I read something to that effect several years back. Wonder what caliber this Ruger is bored out for??
    I didn't slug the barrel, but have read that others have and that it is .310.
    So if that is the case with mine the rifling is about 0.008" high, and 5 in the barrel.
    I've also read that .308 caliber bullets have good accuracy in them.
    IIRC Winchester, Federal, and Remington 7.62x39mm ammunition use .308 caliber bullets.
    Hornady and most foreign made use .310 caliber bullets.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Well I took it out and proceeded to shoot it in. My Bushnell AR Optic 1-8×24 decided to fail. I'm now in the process of contacting Bushnell for warranty services.
    Now it looks like I'll be taking my Vortex 1-6× Strike Eagle and putting it on for this season.

I'll update you all with the warranty services of Bushnell. So far it's been two business days and no response.

Top Bottom