• ...and so much more!
  • wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Question:

How will you carry the moon clips when you CCW your LCR 9mm?

In my pocket!!!!

Sorry, had to go there. But, that's the ONLY downside I see to this platform. I feel 9mm is better than 38 in this short barrel config, possibly even bordering on what 357 does with this short of barrel. 9mm in the snub is a plus. Carrying a moon clip or two is a minus.

What to do, what to do...

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I used to have a S&W 547, one of the guns I've regretted selling. Might have to look into the Ruger. I like the 9mm in a revolver.
    My S&W 547 didn't use moon clips, which was a plus.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    I used to have a S&W 547, one of the guns I've regretted selling. Might have to look into the Ruger. I like the 9mm in a revolver.
    My S&W 547 didn't use moon clips, which was a plus.

See, I'm assuming that the cylinder allows the round to seat up against the case mouth like other 9mm. I'd think, then, that while ejection would be a problem for individual rounds if loaded without moon clips, you'd at least be able to load and fire without.

Not that I'd want to limit myself in that way, but I suppose you COULD carry a speed strip for your reload. Assuming this is the backup gun, not the primary....

If I've had to go through that many rounds in that time I'm probably in a world of hurt by then anyway.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Since S&W came out w/ the 929 I've been wondering if they would offer a j-frame in 9mm. Seems Ruger beat them to the punch.

I don't know much about LCRs.... Do they have a hammerless model like my 642?

I reload 9mm, but never bothered to set up to load .38. Given my cost difference between .38 and 9mm it would probably pay for itself in a couple years to make the switch....

It would simplify things when I travel and take both my snubbie and G19, for both to use the same ammo.

ok, now I'm salivating....

-rvb

Last edited:

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Since S&W came out w/ the 929 I've been wondering if they would offer a j-frame in 9mm. Seems Ruger beat them to the punch.

I don't know much about LCRs.... Do they have a hammerless model like my 642?

I reload 9mm, but never bothered to set up to load .38. Given my cost difference between .38 and 9mm it would probably pay for itself in a couple years to make the switch....

It would simplify things when I travel and take both my snubbie and G19, for both to use the same ammo.

ok, now I'm salivating....

-rvb

The 9mm LCR being released is hammerless, like the first LCRs all were. It was only with the introduction of the LCRx that an external hammer came into the mix.

prescut

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    United States
    i'm a prescott boy, where they make Rugers, but I am cynical about Ruger triggers. My last sp101 had a 14 pound pull. after much work, it is now 8 pounds. the lcr had a 12 pound pull. so count on a $100 trigger job to pull double action.
    lost

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    i'm a prescott boy, where they make Rugers, but I am cynical about Ruger triggers. My last sp101 had a 14 pound pull. after much work, it is now 8 pounds. the lcr had a 12 pound pull. so count on a $100 trigger job to pull double action.
    lost

No, the trigger mechanism for the LCR is completely different. Brand new LCRs have a better trigger pull than Smith & Wesson j-frames.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    lost

My GP100 was a bit heavy (about 11.5-12 lbs), but smoothed out easily. I did the spring swap to 10 lb hammer spring and 10 lb trigger return spring, and some polishing and it is around 8.5 lbs now, maybe a hair lighter. Plus the SA is crazy smooth, short, and soft
    The LCR trigger pull, while a bit heavy, is still VERY smooth for a DAO trigger. (not counting the LCRx of course, which is SA/DA). It is one of the best DAO triggers for small revolvers from the factory.

--with all that said, I'm still a big fan of minor tinkering to get it how you like it :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    dang it, I'm going to end up wanting a new snubbie.......

quick, someone give me a reason it sucks.

-rvb

1. It's not free.

2. The moonclips are bulkier than speed strips.

3. You may want two.

If you get a chance to shoot one, do it. I've only shot the .38, but the felt recoil compared to an airweight j-frame (442) is much less. The 442 stings to shoot, but the LCR does not. And the LCR has a better trigger.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    1. It's not free.

3. You may want two.

If you get a chance to shoot one, do it. I've only shot the .38, but the felt recoil compared to an airweight j-frame (442) is much less. The 442 stings to shoot, but the LCR does not. And the LCR has a better trigger.

My father-in-law has an LCR in .38spl... I helped him put a FO FS on it, but I've not shot it. Now I'm going to have to shoot it. Being able to put a better FS on it is a plus for the LCR, also...

My 642 has never bothered me to shoot, maybe a slight sting w/ +p, so all the better if the LCR handles recoil even better (the 9mm LCR is a couple oz heavier than the 642 according to the website specs, both a pro and con).............

I like speed strips, but I seldom carry a reload regardless (if I feel 5 isn't enough, I'll take the G19), so that's a (-) for the LCR, but not heavily weighted in the trade...

-rvb

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Ref: Required moonclips.
    That will be a drawback for some. I typically don't carry spare ammo for a backup gun so it wouldn't be a problem.

1. It's not free.

3. You may want two.

I wonder if carrying the BUG loaded, plus a few empty moon clips, wouldn't leave one prepared to switch to a more available 9mm in the event of SHTF? For those of us who don't shoot 9mm, that might be the solution to have something to shoot the ammo that's available.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'd be interested to see some chrono/energy data comparing .38 to 9mm out of a <2" bbl.
    I guess [STRIKE] if [/STRIKE] when I get a 9mm I'll have to set up the chrono to compare....

-rvb

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    They aren't really out yet, I went to the LGS to see today and they can't get them. They still can't seem to get any of the 223 Gunsite Scout rifles yet and they were the first of the new releases made by Ruger this month...

I will get one though when it is finally really available. :D

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    S&W had the model 940 in 9 mm for awhile. It took moon clips but wasn't a big seller so they dropped it. I had one but sold it for a S&W model 640 in 357.

Top Bottom