• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I'd be interested to see some chrono/energy data comparing .38 to 9mm out of a <2" bbl.
    I guess [STRIKE] if [/STRIKE] when I get a 9mm I'll have to set up the chrono to compare....

-rvb

Just got this. Thought I'd share.

Real Guns - Ruger's 9mm LCR

That article showed several loads in the 125-138(!) PF range... not shabby for a snubbie. Probably better than the .38spl (incl +p). (my memory is fuzzy, but I seem to recall most defensive .38+p being in the 105-120 PF range from a snubbie?).

My competition load runs ~138 in my G34, ~132 in my G19. If it managed ~125 from the LCR I'd probably just use that one load for everything.

-rvb

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ref: Required moonclips.

I wonder if carrying the BUG loaded, plus a few empty moon clips, wouldn't leave one prepared to switch to a more available 9mm in the event of SHTF? For those of us who don't shoot 9mm, that might be the solution to have something to shoot the ammo that's available.

Sir, you clearly need one of those old Medusa revolvers. They could fire .357 mag, .38 special, .38 super, 9x19mm, 9x23mm, 9mm Largo (and probably .380 too, but I don't know).

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Looks like a cool setup.

Yes moon clips are bulkier than speed strips(but better than speedloaders) but moon clips are SEVERAL times faster than speed strips, or even faster than speedloaders.
    As for the durability of moonclips, S&W clips for the .38/.357 are .020-.025 thick depending on who made the clip. These clips are pretty tough but they are bendable. The S&W 9mm clips are .035 thick and are really tough. I can't imagine bending one of these in a pocket. All clips will bend if stepped on.

The LCR's have decent triggers on them but I think the trigger return is a little sluggish(that is how they get the lighter trigger pull) but that won't be a problem if you are not used to S&W or full size Ruger revolvers triggers.:twocents:

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    1. It's not free.

2. The moonclips are bulkier than speed strips.

3. You may want two.

If you get a chance to shoot one, do it. I've only shot the .38, but the felt recoil compared to an airweight j-frame (442) is much less. The 442 stings to shoot, but the LCR does not. And the LCR has a better trigger.

The LCR has a rubber air or gel bubble at the top rear of the grip. Too hot a load might could cause a blowout.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    The LCR has a rubber air or gel bubble at the top rear of the grip. Too hot a load might could cause a blowout.

My 357 shooting full power loads never had an issue. Can't imagine a 9mm load coming close to that.

Not sure you could "blow out" the sorbothane or whatever the material is in the grip in any case.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I feel like the "complaints" about moon clips are pretty silly. I imagine this is like the old 9mm sp101s in that it can fire without them but won't eject. If so, news flash you probably arnt going to be firing any revolver dry, reloading with speed strips, and firing dry again and loading a second speed strip in. Carry a speed strip with one reload. You will be fine.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    SOLD. I've come close to buying an LCR in a traditional caliber many times. My really preferred method of carry is AIWB. CTC is bringing a green LaserGrip for the LCR series at the end of October. Nothing helps me shoot a defensive gun better than a green laser. All this adds up to one EDC I'll CED :rockwoot:

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Sir, you clearly need one of those old Medusa revolvers. They could fire .357 mag, .38 special, .38 super, 9x19mm, 9x23mm, 9mm Largo (and probably .380 too, but I don't know).
    Sounds like they could .38 long and short colt as well as .38 s&w as long as it was loaded with a .355-357 diameter bullet and not a .360 too. Why hasn't a revolver been released that could accept all those different rounds? It'd be such a novelty and actually useful as well as having the previous mentioned quality.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sounds like they could .38 long and short colt as well as .38 s&w as long as it was loaded with a .355-357 diameter bullet and not a .360 too. Why hasn't a revolver been released that could accept all those different rounds? It'd be such a novelty and actually useful as well as having the previous mentioned quality.

I suspect that they didn't sell enough of them to keep selling them.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    140783880824.jpg

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    My buddy bought the first one today at Plainfield Shooting Supplies. I checked it out, it's a nice little piece.

Top Bottom