• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I take it that cylinder rotation is reliable with the longer 147gr loads?

Yes, 147 gr works fine. After the early gen of SP101's that where for 125 gr or lighter bullets in 357 mag Ruger corrected that within short order. Now all their revolvers will operate with every bullet design in that caliber. Now what someone creates outside of factory ammunition OAL well thats another story

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Read over on arfcom that in DFW area has the LCR9 for $570. That $100 more than the LCR 357. And they're the same size gun to boot. Sounds like ruger is trying to take advantage of people knowing 9mm is more popular round. I can't justify spending $100 more for the same gun in a different caliber especially when 357 is a proven round

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Read over on arfcom that in DFW area has the LCR9 for $570. That $100 more than the LCR 357. And they're the same size gun to boot. Sounds like ruger is trying to take advantage of people knowing 9mm is more popular round. I can't justify spending $100 more for the same gun in a different caliber especially when 357 is a proven round

Carries the same MSRP as the 357 version, which I've purchased new at $450. Sounds like a dealer jacking it up, not Ruger.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Carries the same MSRP as the 357 version, which I've purchased new at $450. Sounds like a dealer jacking it up, not Ruger.

Supply & Demand ===> Market Price

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    To put things into perspective:

1 9mm bullet - 0.5 oz.
    LCR unloaded - 17.2 oz.
    Sig P938 unloaded - 16 oz.

LCR loaded (5 rounds) - 19.7 oz.
    Sig P938 (7 rounds) - 19.5 oz.

For me, I would lose barrel length, ease of reloads, night sights, extra rounds, single action trigger, and concealability.

I hate to repeat myself, but what is the practical purpose of a LCR in 9mm? From a concealed carry perspective, most people would be better off with a CM9, LC9S, P938, etc...

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I hate to repeat myself, but what is the practical purpose of a LCR in 9mm? From a concealed carry perspective, most people would be better off with a CM9, LC9S, P938, etc...

There is still a huge revolver market in both full size and snub nosed variety. revolvers are a little bit more forgiving than an auto especially in a small compact package than an auto to shoot. Cambering one in 9mm makes sense since it has good performance not to mention the last several years the price on 9mm ammo has become s a lot lower than the 38 special. Also it allows some folks to use the same caliber as their other semi autos. Which ammo interchangeability is very important to some. Not to mention the use of moon clip some like.

Round counts in a pocket pistol/revolver is over rated. While we all carry that speed strip or extra mag for our snubby/pocket pistol, A snubby or pocket auto is not intended for emergency reloads or sustained firing. If you need more than 5-7 shots and that is your primary you are in way over your head for the moment. If that is a

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield

The biggest advantage to me is the 9mm itself. 9mm is my #1 stockpile ammo, and I have a several thousand of them and several different guns that us it. By contrast, I only have one gun that uses .38/.357 and just a few hundred rounds.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    The 9mm is shorter and easier to reload in a hurry I guess but for the purpose of this type of gun, I see no use. They should just build a multi-caliber, medusa-type cylinder into the LCR .357 frame and call it a day.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The 9mm is shorter and easier to reload in a hurry I guess but for the purpose of this type of gun, I see no use. They should just build a multi-caliber, medusa-type cylinder into the LCR .357 frame and call it a day.

The issue with that in a small snubby is when you get in to the 357 mag type rounds including the 9X23, and hot 38 Super loads there are 2 issues. The cost is high with the availability of both practice and defense ammo and while some like the 357 type blast, boom whatever most never use the availability of shooting all that variety of cartridges. While when you compare the 9mm to 38 for some reason (they say all the old 38's floating around is it but not really buying that) factory 9mm defensive ammo s a lot better performer than factory 38 Special not to mention the availability and relativity lower cost of 9mm ammo.

The Ruger marketing folks obviously knew a 9mm would sell. There has been crying ever since they discontinued their 9mm SP101 as well as S&W dropping their 940 so it will probably be offered for as long as the LCR is.

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg

Personally, for me, I have several handguns and an AR that are all chambered in 9mm. Because of this, I have a variety stockpile of 9mm ammo.

Top Bottom