• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I've been watching a lot of westerns lately and now I am in the mood for a good old cowboy gun. I have a couple of single actions already, both Rugers, and they are super guns but don't have that classic look or action. I've always wanted a Colt SAA, they're pretty high price wise. I see the Uberti guns and Ruger Vaquero's as well. I like the Vaquero for its ruggedness and I like Ruger revolvers so I know it will function well , but it doesn't have the same action as the SAA or its clones. I guess my question is for you Colt SAA owners out there, is it really worth the extra money for the real deal? I'm going to shoot it, not let it set around. Thanks for any input folks. :)

Juday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    You might want to look into the Taylor's & Company "Smoke Wagon" Deluxe model. It's a SAA clone, but it's tuned out of the box with some nice features. It ain't a pretty lookin' gun, but it sounds like it's a helluva shooter. I know the next one I get will be the Smoke Wagon. Just need to find some Taylor's dealers around here somewhere....

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I have two second gen Colt SAA. Yes, I shoot them both. Yes they are expensive. Yes they are smooth and fun. No, I don't think they're worth the extra money if they're JUST going to be a shooter.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    You might want to look into the Taylor's & Company "Smoke Wagon" Deluxe model. It's a SAA clone, but it's tuned out of the box with some nice features. It ain't a pretty lookin' gun, but it sounds like it's a helluva shooter. I know the next one I get will be the Smoke Wagon. Just need to find some Taylor's dealers around here somewhere....

Thanks I will check them out, hadn't heard of them!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have two second gen Colt SAA. Yes, I shoot them both. Yes they are expensive. Yes they are smooth and fun. No, I don't think they're worth the extra money if they're JUST going to be a shooter.

Hmm, it will be shot, cleaned, and handed down when I go later in life. A real Colt SAA would be something I would pass on, I don't know what it would be besides a shooter. I'd like to get a Colt to be honest because it't the original. I've held several over the years and they are nicely built and finished!

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    I have a 357 vaquero and love it. I caught the bug a while back too. If you know how to work with wood at all you could easily make a gun belt and leather holster to boot there are a lot of similarities.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Sweet, I have a little while to think it over. I want to get one before the summer, probably going to either be the Colt SAA or Ruger Vaquero. I could buy the Vaquero and a 1911 for the price of the SAA. :faint:

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    I would also go with the vaquero. it is ruger so you know it is high quality and I doubt the average shooter (like me) could tell the difference.

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    For the money, you can get 2 vaqueros. I have 2 stainless vaqueros for cowboy action shooting. You can start shooting them right out of the box and they will last for ever. If you look around, you can find a pair with consective serial numbers in stainless for around 1100 to 1200 dollars. That would be my first choice.

Ter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Pekin / Washington Co.
    You can't go wrong with the Heritage Big Bore. Built "hell for stout" and accurate.

Picture001-1.jpg

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I get the bug Every now and again. I will get a SAA style gun one day but I really wish someone would make a 357 mag Schofield. I tend to like them a bit more but thats for looks and it being a top break

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    You can't go wrong with the Heritage Big Bore. Built "hell for stout" and accurate.

Picture001-1.jpg

I like that case hardened Heritage there in the middle. Good to hear a positive about them. I've got a Rough Rider that has been trouble free and a hoot to shoot. I too have an itch to pick up a cowboy gun, but I'm looking for best bang for the buck since it would purely be a "fun" gun and not something that I would EDC.

Top Bottom