Safe or not safe? Check out this Range Instructor...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    See my OP. The link to the video is there.

I still can't get over the sheer amount of fail in that training class. Not just the wheelchair part. In just thirty seconds you see:

1. One shooter advancing well ahead of the line.
    2. Shooters breaking the 180 by turning completely around.
    3. One shooter pointing his pistol up right in front of his face. Dude could have blown his face off.

I'm no supporter of the organization represented on the video, and I don't agree with that particular method of scanning, but . . .

The "180" is a gaming construct. During that particular action, those students did not point their muzzles at anyone else or their own bodies. You can argue whether or not upward is acceptable risk management, but I didn't see anything that was a significant safety risk in that particular action (i.e. the scanning by rotating in a circle with the muzzle pointed skyward).

There are a variety of ways to manage the direction of your muzzle safely when facing uprange that break the "180 rule" of the gun games that are not inherently any less safe than anything you do pointed downrange. I think it's generally a bad idea to turn one's back on a known threat (even if it's down on the ground and apparently neutralized) and there are ways to scan "360 degrees" without doing so. There are also ways to move "uprange" without breaking any of the real safety rules (3 or 4 depending on your philosophy) such as Position Sul and similar techniques.

There is plenty to fault in the guy bouncing in the chair, well behind everyone else, trying shoot while being pushed.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I'm no supporter of the organization represented on the video, and I don't agree with that particular method of scanning, but . . .

The "180" is a gaming construct. During that particular action, those students did not point their muzzles at anyone else or their own bodies. You can argue whether or not upward is acceptable risk management, but I didn't see anything that was a significant safety risk in that particular action (i.e. the scanning by rotating in a circle with the muzzle pointed skyward).

There are a variety of ways to manage the direction of your muzzle safely when facing uprange that break the "180 rule" of the gun games that are not inherently any less safe than anything you do pointed downrange. I think it's generally a bad idea to turn one's back on a known threat (even if it's down on the ground and apparently neutralized) and there are ways to scan "360 degrees" without doing so. There are also ways to move "uprange" without breaking any of the real safety rules (3 or 4 depending on your philosophy) such as Position Sul and similar techniques.

There is plenty to fault in the guy bouncing in the chair, well behind everyone else, trying shoot while being pushed.

Agreed.

pack-indy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    Shoshone NF
    "All you people that said, I wouldn't drop my gun, I wouldn't scratch my gun, you're not gonna make it through a gunfight anyway...we don't want your money"."

Interesting business model.

Last edited:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Yeah lets...how many on here rushed to have lunch with Yeager when he came to town and posted of how awesome he is. Where are those folks now?

They even protected him on the last TR screw up with the gun dropping stupidity by saying it wasn't JY.

The reason for the crickets chirping instead of his faithful followers is because even they can't believe all the fail going on with TR. It is clearly JY's voice on the Bull Horn, he was there watching it all unfold before his eyes.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    If this ever happened in a training exercise i was involved in i would have walked out and emended a refund. This was not thought out or orchestrated to a safe environment for all involved

Top Bottom