• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    What are your thoughts on a Gun shop getting in a hard to find gun, and instead of selling it to a customer at MSRP, they put it on GB for twice the price. I was told by a shop owner that this is what they are doing. I have chosen never to do buisness with this shop again what are your thoughts?

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It's business. It's all about the money. What do you expect?

Key point is did the shop promise to sell it to you at MSRP. If the shop committed to selling to you at MSRP, shop has reneged. If shop only said it would get some in, no promise was made. Shop owner can set the price and sell for the greatest profit.

Business. Capitalism.

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    It takes two sides of the equation. One sider is the seller, the other the buyer. Someone has to be willing to PAY the price in order for the seller to sell the weapon. i can list a 2008 Chevy Tahoe in the paper for $40,000, but no one will want it for that price. If someone is willing to pay the price, then the price is justified. I see a lot of ads on GB right now that keep being reposted, because the asking prices are just too high. New Glocks with reserves higher than the current prices I've seen on the shelves at most of my local shops. Used guns within $50 of what I can buy new. Why would anyone think they could sell them that way? Hard to say. But, if they do, good for them. Capitalism at its finest.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The shop can sell it for anything he wants and can sell it anywhere he wants. It's his business. If his GunBroker business is more valuable to him than his brick-and-mortar business, then that's his decision to make. You're free to shop somewhere else.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville

Key point is did the shop promise to sell it to you at MSRP. If the shop committed to selling to you at MSRP, shop has reneged. If shop only said it would get some in, no promise was made. Shop owner can set the price and sell for the greatest profit.

Business. Capitalism.

I would agree if we had a truly free system but since we are required by law to buy from a licenced dealer usually in our state, there should be a responsibility to sell at a price that is judged by the manufacturer.

I feel that there is always so much talk of supporting the local guy with your purchases, which I have done that a little mutual respect should be shown. I am most disappointed that I have bought from this dealer before at a price greater that I could get at Buds to buy local but when they get the chance to gouge us then it is fair play.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I would agree if we had a truly free system but since we are required by law to buy from a licenced dealer usually in our state, there should be a responsibility to sell at a price that is judged by the manufacturer.

I feel that there is always so much talk of supporting the local guy with your purchases, which I have done that a little mutual respect should be shown. I am most disappointed that I have bought from this dealer before at a price greater that I could get at Buds to buy local but when they get the chance to gouge us then it is fair play.

So, you think that someone has the right to demand the seller charge a certain amount for his goods? I disagree. If he's asking too much then people won't pay it. If people will pay it, then he's not asking too much. There will always be another dealer willing to be competitive. That's how the free market works.

Would you be more comfortable if Glock said the MSRP was $2000 for a G19? Then you'd be getting a great deal on a $600 Glock, right?

doctrpt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Cope, IN
    The only time pricing is an issue is when there is collusion. Collusion is an issue, and I think that a lot of sellers on Gunbroker do in some way collude on sales and pricing. (By that I mean they seem to all set their reserve prices on auctions about the same level, and they seem to start their "buy it now" and "no reserve" auctions all at about the same price. Hence, they all know they aren't seriously undercutting a fellow seller on GB).

I only look at guns on there that are hard to find. If I can find one locally, even for a few dollars more, in equal shape, I buy local. Sometimes it is impossible to find a reasonable price on something locally.

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I'll first say that I feel as though it is 100% up to the shop as to how and for what price they sell their items at.
    You do however, bring up a valid point:
    I feel that there is always so much talk of supporting the local guy with your purchases, which I have done that a little mutual respect should be shown.
    Again though, it is completely up to the shop as to their items as much as it is for you to find a new favorite shop.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011

Business. Capitalism.
    Yep.....^^^^^^^^

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Everybody seems to forget what the "S" stands for in "MSRP". It is a suggested retail price. That does not mean suggested to be the highest a retailer should sell it for, but that is what many buyers have come to understand. The manufacturer suggests a price and it is up to the seller and his/her market to determine if that price is reasonable, high, or even low.

Sure I don't agree with a seller trying to sell something for more than most of us think it is worth, but if the seller thinks he/she could get that much, more power to them, and too bad for the buyer who didn't do the research to find out what a "good" price would be.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I will now just buy my ammo from Wal-mart, and shop for my best deal on a gun, including online. I have just been old fashioned in my thoughts and have been supporting local shops with my purchases over my wallet. 10-15% more per purchase adds up to alot per year probably the cost of a new gun, but I felt it was worth it to support my local guy. I will now just look out for my wallet, because the day of local buisness are really done.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The seller is the present owner of the property and can do with it as he likes. Likewise, I am the present owner of my money and can assure you that someone who possesses merchandise he is unwilling to sell to me at a reasonable price will not be seeing any of my money. Absolutely fair!

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I feel your pain... sucks as the consumer for sure.

My (eventual) dream/wants list includes a SR1911, Keltec KSG and a PMR-30(maybe)... so it sucks to come across one and see it being sold for double the price.

However, its business.... There is a demand for it, so I don't really blame anyone for maximizing their profits.

One thing I have seen that I do not approve of though... I've seen companies raffle off products in the name of charity yet net HUGE PROFITS off of it in the meantime.

Not too long ago, I seen a raffle online where they were raffling off $2000 MSRP worth of merchandise (we all know they get it for much less than MSRP from the distributors) 800 tickets for $5 a pop. ($4000 essentially)...

15% went to charity ($ 600).... which means the other $3400 (minus the cost of the items maybe $1500) likely went into the pocket of the company.

Last edited:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I will now just buy my ammo from Wal-mart, and shop for my best deal on a gun, including online. I have just been old fashioned in my thoughts and have been supporting local shops with my purchases over my wallet. 10-15% more per purchase adds up to alot per year probably the cost of a new gun, but I felt it was worth it to support my local guy. I will now just look out for my wallet, because the day of local buisness are really done.

And I see nothing wrong with that. I support my local gun shop, but I'm also not going to pay him twice what I feel a gun is worth. I'll pay an acceptable markup because (compared to Walmart or Gunbroker or etc.) he provides me with superior service, knows my name, and takes the time to show me his wares even when he knows I'm not going to buy that day. But he also knows I'm not going to pay $600 for a Glock 19. He invests time in me and I invest money in him. It's a mutually-beneficial business relationship, which is how it should be. If he wants to stay competitive, he knows he has to ask competitive prices.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The only time pricing is an issue is when there is collusion. Collusion is an issue, and I think that a lot of sellers on Gunbroker do in some way collude on sales and pricing. (By that I mean they seem to all set their reserve prices on auctions about the same level, and they seem to start their "buy it now" and "no reserve" auctions all at about the same price. Hence, they all know they aren't seriously undercutting a fellow seller on GB).

I only look at guns on there that are hard to find. If I can find one locally, even for a few dollars more, in equal shape, I buy local. Sometimes it is impossible to find a reasonable price on something locally.

Well said. I just made my first purchase on Gunbroker because it offered a revolver I wanted at $100 below MSRP. Seller said he got a good deal on a bulk buy (still had 19 pieces when I began my investigations) so he was selling passing on the savings. He made his usual profit, I am sure, and I saved a $100. These revolvers are not available locally. I have check out the local shops. All I can find are Rugers. While they are very good weapons, even the used ones cost ±$200 more than what I paid. If I cold have doing it local for near the same cost, I would have purchased local.

Again, it is business. Shop has to make a profit. If someone wants to pay twice the MSRP, I will sell any weapon I have and replace it at normal price later.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    we are required by law to buy from a licenced dealer usually in our state

For NEW guns this correct.

I have not bought a NEW gun in awhile. Most of my recent purchases have been Pre-owned, with very low round count, and few laws needed observed.

I will try to keep the LGS in business, but, in trade, the LGS must also meet my expectations on the price...Bill.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    FalconRC369
    Top Bottom