• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    To the OP, may I ask what this elusive firearm is? And is everyone on GB asking the same amt. as your dealer? If not, could you just get one on GB?
    I have had outstanding luck on GB, have not been disappointed yet.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yeah I should probably just laugh at the people who are paying $1600 for a gun that in 3-6 months won't be worth 1/2 that.

Do you think someone should hold off until after the election if they aren't in a hurry to buy something?

And who is Bob?

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    "there should be a responsibility to sell at a price that is judged by the manufacturer" - seriously? Wow, just wow...

"So if I was a doctor who had a cure for cancer and an actress had an operable form of skin cancer but your daughter had an inoperable tumor, is it OK for me to sell the pill to the actress for 1,000,000?"
    by all means yes, but a smart doctor will make much more money in return by selling to the masses at a much lower cost - lower margin, higher volume = early retirement for the good doctor.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    The elusive gun has been mentioned, it's the KSG, backordered everywhere and GB is setting the market. I will bide my time, just dissapointed my local has had 2 and sold them both on GB

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    My local GS has a KSG that he will sell on GB because he can get a lot more for it. I have no problems with that as it is whatever the market will bear. I think I would do the same if I were in his shoes.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Also from Evansville, & thinking same LGS. Give them props, they let me fondle it (ksg you pervs), & made it clear it was going to GB. However, I think it's more due to the INSANE prices they're going for on GB.

Example, they're not selling the Ruger SR1911s on GB, for which they could make a couple/three hundred more bucks, instead of to me for just over $600.

Yes, still not happy about cosmetic defect (couldn't resist).

Easy for me, 0 interest in KSG.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Bob

If you refer to posts #39 and #40, that would be Bob Cheek of Plainfield Shooting Supply, and if anything the description fails to do him justice.

Bob more than deserves the credit he recieves in this thread....BUT HE NEEDS TO HIDE ALL THOSE BEAUTIFUL CUSTOM KNIVES IN THE CASE NEAR THE CASH REGISTER!! ( In a moment of weakness I might spend the house payment)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If you refer to posts #39 and #40, that would be Bob Cheek of Plainfield Shooting Supply, and if anything the description fails to do him justice.

Thanks! I have been there. Nice people but alas, no guns that I am looking for. They did say they could put a SA on back order but they had no idea when it would be available.

wetidlerjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    TIPTON
    What are your thoughts on a Gun shop getting in a hard to find gun, and instead of selling it to a customer at MSRP, they put it on GB for twice the price. I was told by a shop owner that this is what they are doing. I have chosen never to do buisness with this shop again what are your thoughts?

I agree. Don't give him your business. Complain by hitting him where he will notice; in his pocketbook. People who use the excuse "It's business" to defend these a**hats are, pretty much, the reason American business is in the state it is in.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    What are your thoughts on a Gun shop getting in a hard to find gun, and instead of selling it to a customer at MSRP, they put it on GB for twice the price. I was told by a shop owner that this is what they are doing. I have chosen never to do buisness with this shop again what are your thoughts?

I think you're anti-capitalist for trying to whine your LGS into selling you something for less than it's obviously worth. Why should he let you buy it and then turn around and sell it for more on the interwebz.:dunno: Whatever the market will bear. Maybe if you leave him alone he can actually run a business instead of a charity dedicated to the betterment of you.:rolleyes:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    If I could go directly to the manufacturer and have the chance that a gun shop has of purchasing the same weapon, then I would agree, but we as consumers do not have that freedom. Hence we have to deal with the people who do have that ability and I believe that it is the responsibility to not inflate the price of said item.

So if I was a doctor who had a cure for cancer and an actress had an operable form of skin cancer but your daughter had an inoperable tumor, is it OK for me to sell the pill to the actress for 1,000,000?

Yes I know this is brought to the extreme but sometimes absurdity needs to be used to prove a point.

Mind your own business. If you're not part of the transaction (i.e. the seller or the buyer), then it's not your business. If you choose not to buy it, then you don't get a say in what it sells for.

Some other buyer is going to be happy to take it home at that price. That's a win-win situation. Just because you want a gun at a price doesn't mean you deserve it.

I'd like to buy all of your firearms from you for $15. You owe it to me. It's socially responsible.

You're right; sometimes absurdity does need to be used to make a point.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I think you're anti-capitalist for trying to whine your LGS into selling you something for less than it's obviously worth. Why should he let you buy it and then turn around and sell it for more on the interwebz.:dunno: Whatever the market will bear. Maybe if you leave him alone he can actually run a business instead of a charity dedicated to the betterment of you.:rolleyes:

No I think life is a two way street, and local businesses are all the time complaining how online sales are ruining their stores. They can't compete and we should pay a bit more to keep the money in the local economy. They have National ad campaigns about it and write articles saying such, but when it benefits them they jump on the bandwagon. I will just worry about my wallet and not supporting local whiners.

Out of the hundreds of items they sell, one may be in demand like this. If they want to rape us for that one item then why should we buy the other items that they do sell for more than Walmart? If a National chain did this like Gander Mountain people would complain here as well.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    A couple of years ago I bought a new condition Winchester model 70 in 264 Win mag . I paid 300 dollars for it. I had know idea what it was worth. I put it on gunbroker after several dealers offered me 5 or 6 hundred for it. I was astounded when a collector in Texas bid 4,775$ for it. If these dealers put items up for auction at inflated prices and people buy them, that's the American way.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Auctions: by the nature of them, the seller hopes to find the buyer who is willing to spend the most for the item. Unless the LGS had some prior arrangement with you to sell the gun for a set amount, I don't have a problem with it. If they told me, "I've got one on order and your name is on one." OR "Thank you for the deposit", then I would be PO'ed if the first two they got went to auction instead.

Barring that, I've got no issue with them auctioning a gun instead of selling it outright for a MSRP. We, as the consumer, are all too happy to buy at LESS than MSRP.

I also think that MAP pricing is a load of horse-crap too.

One point you make... it does genuinely compel me though: The whining about online sales cutting into the business.

Yes, I do support my LGS when given the opportunity. I know them. I like them. If they get within a few percentage points of total cost online, I'll always go local. If they are 25-30% or higher than total online cost, then I'll likely purchase online. (That percentage margin may be lower when the item's cost is much higher.)

However, if this particular dealer is one of the consummate whiners about online sales killing their business. If they don't try to give me a deal from time-to-time to offset my loyalty. Yeah, no. Not so much. TSG and Bradis come to mind that always treat me right. As a result, I will pay more to purchase from them - calling to check stock first - than buying online.

One of the whiners though? If it is one of them, then I might artfully introduce into the conversation: "Yep... I've been wanting one of those KSGs. Man?! Y'all sure made a killing selling that online. Crap.. yanno, I really need to check out those online sites more often. There sure are deals to be had there and clearly we all need to watch that bottom line."

Further example: I buy a $300 knife. Busse. They are limited in availability. I decide that knife just isn't for me and decide to sell it in short order. FOR A FRIEND... FOR SOMEONE WHO HAS HELPED ME OUT IN THE PAST... Yep, I'll probably sell it to them for what I have in it, even if that blade is recently unavailable and they are ALL selling for $450. That's for friendship. Brotherhood. On the other hand, if they are ALL selling for $450 and I'm just going to put it up for sale, then you can bet my ad... my auction... will be for $450. Well... really probably $425/430 as I just roll that way.

Now... how about after the fact. Something that is no linger produced. If I paid $300 for a particular Busse 10 years ago that now is clamored after for $1200... once I've sat on it for 10 years... do *you* resell for $300?

Maybe to a brother but recognizing that I just gave them a $900 gift. A gift they may have "earned" by being a brother but a gift nonetheless.

It really gets to be splitting hairs. If the KSGs all sell for $1600 regularly... if I can easily sell it for $1600... but choose to sell it to you for $800, then I just gave you a $800 gift. That gift may be worth it to me to keep you as a customer. If, however, you don't recognize that it is a gift but rather you feel entitled to it as MSRP? Nope, probably not.

By the same rule, if I spend asking price for a quantity of several items from a LGS - both of us knowing I could have just as easily wasted no gas, saved considerable money, and none of their time by ordering 20 Pelican cases online. If I just gave them that large order knowing I'm spending more? Then they should recognize that my patronage and decision to "give" them that business means something too... a gift. A gift they may have "earned" by providing an excellent experience in the past but a gift nonetheless.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm new into the gun world so I don't know how the gun stores are. However in my other hobbies; cycling, running, swimming, and cars I buy most everything online. For this reason: If I am going to pay a higher price for something, there must be an added value to that higher price. There are 3 factors that contribute to value: Product, Price and service. If my local store does not have the product or can't provide me a service, but wants to charge me more than an online retailer, why should I buy from them?

I have paid a higher price for running shoes because the people at the running store invested the time to properly fit me to the correct shoe for my running style. But if they do not have someone knowledgeable to do this, then I may as well buy online.

If I find a gun store that will order me the pistol I want, help guide me in my decision and provide service after the sale, I will pay more. But if they say "I can order you one, but I have no idea when it will come in and if the price goes up, you have to pay the increase", well then I may take a look online.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville

This is probably my point and I did not express it well enough, I support a place with my buisness over the course of many years paying above what I can buy elsewhere, I would hope when the rare production gun comes in (not a collectible rare gun there is a difference), they would at least try to scratch the backs of their loyal customers, even if it was not me, one of the guys that are in there every day buying stuff from them should have the shot at it over the dude that can spend a ton on the internet that they have never seen face to face. I know he has a 5 person waiting list for that gun. I never put money down but in Jan 11 I asked to be put on the list to buy one when he got one in.

Top Bottom