• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Everybody seems to forget what the "S" stands for in "MSRP". It is a suggested retail price. That does not mean suggested to be the highest a retailer should sell it for, but that is what many buyers have come to understand. The manufacturer suggests a price and it is up to the seller and his/her market to determine if that price is reasonable, high, or even low.

Sure I don't agree with a seller trying to sell something for more than most of us think it is worth, but if the seller thinks he/she could get that much, more power to them, and too bad for the buyer who didn't do the research to find out what a "good" price would be.

For years, people were expecting to get new guns at least 10-15% below MSRP and no one complained. Now if the shoe is on the other foot, it's unfair. I'm not a dealer but I've worked casually for a few and it's a tough business. If it's a seller's market, then the dealer has the right to make up some lost ground, that's how they stay in business.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    ......there should be a responsibility to sell at a price that is judged by the manufacturer.

......That's crazy talk.

I say let the seller set the price.......

There are many products that the seller is contractually obligated to charge. It has less do to with the profit margin of the seller, but rather the needs of the manufacturer who produces the product. Of course, the exception/reverse of this is Wal-Mart.

If a retailer doesn't wish to abide by the manufacturer's dictates, then that retailer shouldn't feel obligated to sell the product.

Stotie1478

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2012
    Offer to sell....

I agree with this, I am not going to pay what it takes, I am usually not enamoured by new shinies but this will be a really cool range toy, I will own one it will just be a while before the craziness dies down. That is if they turn out OK and not giant pieces of horse pucky.

Did the owner offer to sell this same gun at MSRP AFTER things settled down? Usually honesty is appreciated and understood....

Stotie1478

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2012
    Is this a repeat offense?

No I think life is a two way street, and local businesses are all the time complaining how online sales are ruining their stores. They can't compete and we should pay a bit more to keep the money in the local economy. They have National ad campaigns about it and write articles saying such, but when it benefits them they jump on the bandwagon. I will just worry about my wallet and not supporting local whiners.

Out of the hundreds of items they sell, one may be in demand like this. If they want to rape us for that one item then why should we buy the other items that they do sell for more than Walmart? If a National chain did this like Gander Mountain people would complain here as well.

Or is this the only time it has happened? I think it a little crazy to stop doing business over not being able to get one of the hottest guns on the market...an BTW gander mountain does sell at MSRP unless there is a sale so your local shop should e cheaper than them in most cases.

UNCLE HARLEY

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    Kendallville
    What are your thoughts on a Gun shop getting in a hard to find gun, and instead of selling it to a customer at MSRP, they put it on GB for twice the price. I was told by a shop owner that this is what they are doing. I have chosen never to do buisness with this shop again what are your thoughts?

Let's get the gubmint to set the price! Then none of us will have guns. MSRP= More Stupid Regulated Prices. Don't like that idea, then the free market rule.

Gibster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Boone County
    Gubmit pricing? First they'd have to hire someone who knows enough to tell one gun from another. Probably appoint a sub-committee to write volumes of required credentials and experience for position first.

At the last 1500 there was a KSG for $1900. I saw a guy try to trade 6 nice pistols (Colt, S-W stainless, semis, wheel guns, etc) that the trader totaled at a $2250 value for all 6. Seller turned down the trade and insulted the trader by offering him $800 for all of them as he walked away. Seller said his cost was $850 for the KSG.

IMO the vendor could have gotten an additional $100 or more per pistol, maybe $3000 for all of them with only the $800 he had invested in the KSG.

Ya just never how the seller acquired the weapon or how greedy he is.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Personally, I'd just wait until Keltec gets their production up to speed and the guns drop to MSRP or lower.

In general, you can get most guns for under MSRP, which means really you'd expect to pay maybe $650 to $700 for the KSG. However, since the supply is so low, they are going for twice that. Unless you really need a 15 round shotgun right frickin now, just hold your horses and wait. Sure you run the risk that Keltec stops making them and they never become common, but if that's the case you were probably better off not buying one.

Trust me, I've been there and done that. I've picked up a "dream gun" a number of times for more than I really wanted to pay because I just had to have it. Then I realized that it wasn't really that great and end up off loading it and taking a loss because I couldn't find another sucker as stupid as I was (and of course I have stories in the reverse, selling stuff I didn't shoot much for about what I paid, whereas if I had just sat on them for a few years and let them get rare in the marketplace, I could have gotten double, like with that Tokarev rifle I bought and sold for less than $200 in the late 90's).

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    I went to a shop here in town and asked if he could get me a Ruger 1911. We talked about how hard they were to get or even find. He told me when he gets them he just puts them on gunbroker.com and sells them for $800 instead of the listed $600. I expressed clearly that if he got one in I wanted it for the MSRP, thinking he would take care of his "in house" customers first...he made it clear that he would continue to list them online.....I have bought one box of ammo from that shop since.

mkbar80

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    What are your thoughts on a Gun shop getting in a hard to find gun, and instead of selling it to a customer at MSRP, they put it on GB for twice the price. I was told by a shop owner that this is what they are doing. I have chosen never to do buisness with this shop again what are your thoughts?

I believe this is what a free market is all about. If there are idiots out there that will pay him this premium, he'd be an idiot for not charging them and supporting his family. I know several dealers and LGS owners. Not one of them I'd consider filthy rich.

There is no firearm I NEED that bad. Quality working man's, pistols, rifles, carbines, & shotguns are fairly easy to come by and for appropriate prices.

Top Bottom