• Help me choose

• Total voters

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I had a G43 for about a week. Damn thing rubbed the skin off of the rear knuckle of my right thumb in less than 50 rounds, due to the pronounced lip on the beavertail. This is not an uncommon complaint, but hand size determines whether or not this will be a problem for you. I've never seen anyone complain about the Shield 9 being uncomfortable to shoot. To me, the Shield is a far superior pistol, and one of my trusted EDCs. The Shield shoots more like a full size pistol, while the G43 reminds me of the unpleasant experience of shooting an Airweight revolver, especially with the 147 grain +P HST round I use for my 9mm pistols.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    Traded around some stuff earlier in the week and ended up w/NIB Shield. I like it. Real smooth. Feels good in my large hand w/the 8 round mag. 7 round mag is ok, just not quite as comfortable. Factory sights are good, but I's sure some people will want to dress it up. :thumbsup:

I only have about 20 rounds thru it so far. I did have one fail to fire, really didn't understand that, it was a Winchester PDX1 hollow point. Second pull it discharged.

I like it, but won't be the last gun that I buy.

I could be wrong.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    307SD, new gun might need to be cleaned. I wonder if there is gunk around the striker. Or maybe an old cartridge. It is not uncommon for a little break in to be required for pistols.

I I always fix the painted three dot metal sights on my pistols. It is easy! Step one, find a fine tip black sharpie marker. Step two, color in the white dots on the rear sight. If you don't want it to be permanent then use a black fabric marker, it will clean off easily with a Qtip and rubbing alcohol. Send me rep. I just saved you $100

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'd like to try out one of those new Shields from the Performance Center

As would I! But I will be critical. The Performance Center guns IMO are not what they used to be. They are dressed up production guns with marketing. This is coming from a guy who carries around a PC1911. Yes I like my gun a lot but it is overhyped a bit. Beauty of the Shield is the $400 price tag and they work.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    I bought my son a shield for his birthday last year and almost didn't give it to him cause I liked the way it fit my hand. Yea I gave him the shield and ended up with one of my own. It is my main carry gun. Last Thanksgiving I did some trading and ended up with a Glock 43. I also have a Glock 36 in .45acp that I carry sometimes and dang I like that little 43 too. The shield is still my go to carry piece but I do find myself putting the 43 on for a quick trip to the store. I like 'em both....is that wrong?:dunno:

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    307SD, new gun might need to be cleaned. I wonder if there is gunk around the striker. Or maybe an old cartridge. It is not uncommon for a little break in to be required for pistols.

I I always fix the painted three dot metal sights on my pistols. It is easy! Step one, find a fine tip black sharpie marker. Step two, color in the white dots on the rear sight. If you don't want it to be permanent then use a black fabric marker, it will clean off easily with a Qtip and rubbing alcohol. Send me rep. I just saved you $100

Thanks Vert, good advice. I would think a very light lube, just a touch would be good.

Check is in the mail, patiently wait for delivery.

But I could be wrong.

ART338WM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 2, 2013
    I own and presently use a Shield but in .40S&W. Will be in the extreme near future replacing it with a 9mm Shield for reasons of ammo costs as I plan on joining my local IDPA chapter. Bottom line is 9mm is far cheaper to reload than any other HG caliber and the cold hard truth of my situation is money matters, and to become proficient with a HG you need to shoot it a lot like in IDPA, and lots of shots even for a reloader like me ='s lots of $$$ spent.

I tried out both the Glock and the Shield and considering I felt they were equal in terms of reliability, the deciding factors for me was which one felt best in my hand and lastly which was more affordable, in the end it was the Shield.

In no way am I trying to imply the Shield is any better than the Glock for the intended purpose, it simply felt better to me than the Glock.

Last edited:

hdrenollet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2016
    South Indy/Greenwood
    My initial reaction would be the Glock, but the M&P Shield has been getting so much love, I've got to try one. I'll probably go ahead and just buy one, just because... I can't (in good faith) vote in the poll since I haven't fired both weapons. Interesting results though.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I have both but the Shield doesn't come out of the safe. The Glock just fits me better. It also, in my opinion, conceals better. This is relative to whoever you ask, but for me, the 43 is the ticket.

307SD

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2016
    Down by the river.
    I didn't expect the poll to be this close, I honestly thought the G43 would be running away with it. Thanks for all the great responses.

I understand your comment. At the Kokomo show I was all touchy/feely/slobbering/coonfingering a G43 and thought that I would be having one. But in my case it just worked out that I ended up with the Shield for right now. G43 in my future?? I think so.

But I could be wrong.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    Central IN
    Glock 43

I currently and will carry the 43. Here is why. I had the the Shield, great gun, but I did not like that it for these reasons was to big for my front pocket and had a manual safety at the time. So I turned it into a Springfield XDS 9mm. That also was a great gun and was a very well made. Then Glock finally caught up(only years late but made it to the game) and the 43 came out. I bought it and have never looked back. 1500 plus rounds zero malfunctions. Fits in my pocket and has a great Glock trigger. No need to buy an after market trigger good from the factory for what it is. I now carry everyday as stand alone or back up gun to my 19. Yes I am a Glock guy but I own many guns from many manufactures and I love them each for what they are. The Shield for some the Glock for me!

hdrenollet

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2016
    South Indy/Greenwood
    I currently and will carry the 43. Here is why. I had the the Shield, great gun, but I did not like that it for these reasons was to big for my front pocket and had a manual safety at the time. So I turned it into a Springfield XDS 9mm. That also was a great gun and was a very well made. Then Glock finally caught up(only years late but made it to the game) and the 43 came out. I bought it and have never looked back. 1500 plus rounds zero malfunctions. Fits in my pocket and has a great Glock trigger. No need to buy an after market trigger good from the factory for what it is. I now carry everyday as stand alone or back up gun to my 19. Yes I am a Glock guy but I own many guns from many manufactures and I love them each for what they are. The Shield for some the Glock for me!

I had an opportunity to actually hold one for the first time today, and honestly, wasn't very impressed. It wasn't comfortable in my hand and I didn't like the placement of the mag release. It's a nice looking and well balanced handgun, but I don't think it's for me. I'm going to save final judgement until after I have a chance to put a couple hundred rounds through one, but for now, the glock 43 is winning in my book.

Top Bottom