• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Wow, based on some of the responses, it's obvious everyone HAS the right to carry a gun, but sure as hell SHOULDN'T be.

Some folks here display a remarkable lack of concern for innocent victims. Pathetic.

Does it matter if it's a 'little ol' lady'? What if it was a 6'4", 250 man in his 20's?

Last edited:

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    The problem is we're quarterbacking this topic on something that none of us have experienced first hand and even if did, it is different for all of us. Some of us have kids, family to think about. That influences the decisions we make. Some of us think of the big picture and the aftermath.

We're only human and it is very human to think about ourselves first before anyone else. Not saying it's right or wrong. It's just how we think.

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Mars Hill
    I did not think purple was necessary my last post. The sarcasm was loud and clear. The idea of reacting differently in this situation if it is a loved one or a stranger is unethical in my opinion. The idea of not doing anything because of a lawsuit seems unethical. I don't know what I would do. I do know it would haunt me for the rest of my life I did nothing and watched the cashier get murdered. It would haunt me to shoot the guy, but not as much as doing nothing and seeing someone die because my lack of action.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    The problem is we're quarterbacking this topic on something that none of us have experienced first hand and even if did, it is different for all of us. Some of us have kids, family to think about. That influences the decisions we make. Some of us think of the big picture and the aftermath.

We're only human and it is very human to think about ourselves first before anyone else. Not saying it's right or wrong. It's just how we think.

And some of us who have wives and kids look at this scenario and think

"what if it was MY wife or MY child standing behind that counter? Would I want someone to stand aside and let them be shot because "hey... it's just money"?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka

"what if it was MY wife or MY child standing behind that counter? Would I want someone to stand aside and let them be shot because "hey... it's just money"?

^ This.

Just saying. (Goes right along with an inherent desire to help people)

bobn911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Edwardsburg, MI
    To the OP, you asked the question, now you have several answers. All that proves is that everybody will react differently in every case and for different reasons.
    Would I shoot? More than likely. Would I try to place myself in a better position so if the bullet would not pass through the person and maybe hit the clerk? You bet. Would I shoot to kill? Absolutely not. I would shoot to stop the threat. (That last sentence will help you during the police investigation and maybe the court room if it goes that far.) Later, Bob

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I didn't say I won't help a man in danger. I would move to a better position so the clerk behind the counter isn't in the background. I would yell out for him to drop the gun and the moment the guy doesn't, if he turns towards me with the gun still in hand, I'd drop him.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Nothing could be further than the truth. You know nothing about me nor how I would react in a high stress situation.

It'd be much easier to be an internet rambo if that's what I was aiming for.

Some of us have an inherent desire to help and/or protect others. Having an inherent desire to help/protect others =/= an inherent desire to shoot people. I still fail to see how you made that correlation based on the conversation contained in this thread.

Never claimed to know you and how you would react dosnt really matter to me. You can shoot, stand, hide or runaway screaming for all I care. If you read through the thread again I am sure you can figure out the correlation.

dbiernesser

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Bloomington
    Take cover, draw your firearm, tell the BG to drop his gun, and say "you are under arrest." The next move is up to him. If he points the gun at you, you can shoot. If he runs, you or the clerk call the cops. If he does not respond to your verbal orders, repeat them.
    Do not shoot unless you must do so to defend yourself or you can reasonably argue that that was your only course of action to protect the clerk.

I do exactly this. Cover, shout, shoot if the freak moves.

pwoller

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Indianapolis

Or would I want some trigger happy idiot to cause this robber to shoot me because he has bad aim or shoot me when he was firing at the robber. You don't have a crystal ball so you don't know if you are making the situation worse. Plain and simple!

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Or would I want some trigger happy idiot to cause this robber to shoot me because he has bad aim or shoot me when he was firing at the robber. You don't have a crystal ball so you don't know if you are making the situation worse. Plain and simple!

:rolleyes:

So you're the kind of guy who would let me or my loved ones or any other innocent person be murdered before your eyes without lifting a finger to try and stop it?

I'm glad we're not friends.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    And your the guy that thinks he needs to save people and gets them killed.

:rolleyes:

You can spin it around and try to make me the bad guy all you want. You'd rather let some poor unfortunate person be murdered than lift a finger to help. You simply don't have what it takes to step in and help others in their moment of need. You know it. I know it. Everyone reading these comments knows it.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    why does the "bad guy" get to make the first move that we react to? he already made a move by pulling a gun commiting armed robbery... it is your move next and your going to skip your turn and wait for him to decide if this woman behind the counter... someones grandma wife mom sister.... dies?? why does he get to decide?

swilk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    As long as we are doing the "what if's" ..... you pull gun. You shoot at bad guy. Miss bad guy and kill clerk. Bad guy turns and drops his weapon. You discover his "weapon" was a realistic looking air pistol.

How ya living with yourself now?

To many variables in play for me to know what I would do if unless I was actually in the situation.

Nim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2013
    Falls City Area / Clark County
    why does the "bad guy" get to make the first move that we react to? he already made a move by pulling a gun commiting armed robbery... it is your move next and your going to skip your turn and wait for him to decide if this woman behind the counter... someones grandma wife mom sister.... dies?? why does he get to decide?

AGREED.

As long as we are doing the "what if's" ..... you pull gun. You shoot at bad guy. Miss bad guy and kill clerk. Bad guy turns and drops his weapon. You discover his "weapon" was a realistic looking air pistol.

How do you know if it an air psitol? Some of them are VERY realistic looking. The bad guy is using it as his way of appearing real and causing fear.

HE is the bad guy! It can still be defined as an armed robbery. I never understodd the "The gun was not loaded" defense as though that makes the clerk feel any better about having a gun aimed at them.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Shoot, without question in my mind. IF this ever happened to me for some reason, i would hope that someone out there would have the fortitude to pull the trigger.

H.T.

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Fishers -MSG 2
    Hey PriestEG, you can count on me. Grunt with the 1st CAV.. Fought in the Pocket.

My question is..Do you think the little old lady would let me have a beer and a corn dog while we waited for the Cops?

Top Bottom