Should Indiana deer hunters be allowed to use high-powered rifles.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I vote no as well..Not sure if anyone has been on state land during opening day of shotgun, but it sounds like WWIII going off out there. Dont think i want to be out in the woods with 1000 other hunters carrying a high powered rifle.

What percentage of hunters hunt public land? And how are the dangers any different than what they currently are?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My buddys place is big and flat, with small clumps of woods. The big field has 3 such little clumps, with ditches on both sides.
    So under current regs, 3 guys can hunt it (one per clump- cover surrounding open field sections).

Go HP rifle and one guy off a point gets the field.....the whole field.
    Field is about 400 x 700 yards, point would put them kinda sorta middle.

7 mag would own that spot.

Have 3 fields connected...........currently run about 6 people. New regs would cut that to 3 if using HP rifle.

So...............where would everybody else hunt? How will such demand affect access, lease price, shift to more X bow hunters after smaller spots for bow season (since big places for gun beyond their budget)????

100 yards...............lots of places offer shots longer than that. Hell, even on my rolling, ravine CRP and oak woods place I shot deer out to and past 150 yards ......with shotgun and MZ. 100 yard gun shots are nothing, dunno why everybody keeps mentioning them as some sort of threshold.

Oh my goodness.............nobody needs 300 yard capability! Well, the big bucks we see at my bud's place often are well past 300, and they don't get real close (why they get big).
    A 7 mag would offer a chance at some of them. But then the guys in other places would no doubt also get such gear...........to up their chances.

There is no such thing as a "win win" situation. For any "win" there must be a "lose".

We may not see what those are until a couple of HP rifle seasons have passed. Might not see it at your spot..........but then if you lose said spot you might very well get a bit of a shocker.

Time will tell.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    My buddys place is big and flat, with small clumps of woods. The big field has 3 such little clumps, with ditches on both sides.
    So under current regs, 3 guys can hunt it (one per clump- cover surrounding open field sections).

Go HP rifle and one guy off a point gets the field.....the whole field.
    Field is about 400 x 700 yards, point would put them kinda sorta middle.

7 mag would own that spot.

Have 3 fields connected...........currently run about 6 people. New regs would cut that to 3 if using HP rifle.

So...............where would everybody else hunt? How will such demand affect access, lease price, shift to more X bow hunters after smaller spots for bow season (since big places for gun beyond their budget)????

100 yards...............lots of places offer shots longer than that. Hell, even on my rolling, ravine CRP and oak woods place I shot deer out to and past 150 yards ......with shotgun and MZ. 100 yard gun shots are nothing, dunno why everybody keeps mentioning them as some sort of threshold.

Oh my goodness.............nobody needs 300 yard capability! Well, the big bucks we see at my bud's place often are well past 300, and they don't get real close (why they get big).
    A 7 mag would offer a chance at some of them. But then the guys in other places would no doubt also get such gear...........to up their chances.

There is no such thing as a "win win" situation. For any "win" there must be a "lose".

We may not see what those are until a couple of HP rifle seasons have passed. Might not see it at your spot..........but then if you lose said spot you might very well get a bit of a shocker.

Time will tell.

I guess I don't completely understand how it displaces other hunters. If these guys are following what is taught in the hunters ed courses, you shouldn't be making shots that would put other people in danger, including shots that do not offer a clear stopping point for the bullet. Even with the current regulations, you should not shoot a deer if all you see is sky behind the shot.

Tobryan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Lafayette
    So, it appears many believe that a 200+ yard shot is going to be taken more if rifles are allowed. Most rifled, scoped shotguns and muzzleloaders are capable of that range and beyond. When was the last time you leaned up against a tree with that same weapon and squeezed a confident, solid shot off? Do people think that because a 7mm is in hand, a shot at major distance is more capable? Really? Go outside and lay your scoped rifle across your grill at a 6" 300yd target. Most people will continue to take shots they're comfortable with. 300yds and beyond is a major undertaking for those of us that shoot with limited practice, and I dare say that includes 90% of the hunters in the woods. I can't see hp rifle changing a damn thing.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Glad to know that folks can't shoot or think..............bring on the rifles..................it'll make things all the better.

Maybe they should force hunters education classes on everyone, not just the kids born after '86.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The class doesn't make people smart or shoot better.
    It's just a class.

Not saying such classes are bad.............but they are no cure for societal and or genetic illness.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    The class doesn't make people smart or shoot better.
    It's just a class.

Not saying such classes are bad.............but they aint a cure for social and genetic ills.

Lol... you just made me send coffee through my nose...

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I think it funny, how society now thinks everything can be solved by taking a class.

Reminds me of a fat person wanting to lose weight by simply taking a pill.

I won't solve everything, but it will sure drop the number of hunters. People who don't do the amount of prep work to properly hunt, won't bother to take the time to take the class. You know the guys who roll up to Gander Mountain the night before opening season and grab a box of 12ga slugs of whatever brand is left, and head out the next morning....

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Uh, those Gander dudes probably took the online class ;)
    Reg class can be as short as 2 days..................seen plenty of rubes in 'em (family member an instructor).

FWIW I took my 1st Hunter's Ed after school in the science classroom .................Northrop High School.

BOP!

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Stupid people are going to be stupid, regardless if you give them a slug gun, smokeless muzzlestuffer, or a '06...all of which have a projectile that can be deadly WELL beyond "I can hit a pie plate" range.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    This is akin to saying "stupid people own guns, so allowing open carry will make their stupidity worse".

How many people in Indiana are hit by stupid hunters' stray bullets every year?

How many "stupid people" fall out of treestands EVERY year? Maybe we need to ban treestands or say no further than 6 feet off the ground..

J/K of course.. but same train of thought..

Tobryan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Lafayette
    Glad to know that folks can't shoot or think..............bring on the rifles..................it'll make things all the better.

My point is current legal weapons are capable of 200+, and beyond that, you have to have some pretty good skills. The gun will not make any difference. Same idiots will be there either way.

JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    My point is current legal weapons are capable of 200+, and beyond that, you have to have some pretty good skills. The gun will not make any difference. Same idiots will be there either way.
    It won't make any difference,but it still won't keep some people from trying 400 yard
    + shots.I shot the benchrest circuit for a number of years in the 80's and 90's,along with "field" competitions-no rest,basically hunting simulation.There are very,very few people that I've met that are what I would call qualified to shoot at a deer much past 200 yards with anything.But there will be those that think they can.I have no problem as far as safety goes-no better or worse than it is now.I think in the next 2-4 years we will see a significant drop in the number of hunters because of nobody seeing deer.This has little to do with rifles,the damage is already done.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    How many "stupid people" fall out of treestands EVERY year? Maybe we need to ban treestands or say no further than 6 feet off the ground..

J/K of course.. but same train of thought..

Yeah, but I can't kill you when I fall out (unless you're right under my tree).

Top Bottom