Should Indiana deer hunters be allowed to use high-powered rifles.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Sorry I'm not "OK"'with anyone dieing while hunting. Their mistake or others. To say you're OK with someone dieing from their own mistakes while hunting is very callous of you.

please show any actual documentation that there are more accidents or deaths with HPRs that any other firearm.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Sorry I'm not "OK"'with anyone dieing while hunting. Their mistake or others. To say you're OK with someone dieing from their own mistakes while hunting is very callous of you.

please show any actual documentation that there are more accidents or deaths with HPRs that any other firearm.

I think his point was that people should be allowed to make choices that put themselves at risk. Whether or not they should be allowed to make choices that put others at risk is not so easily accepted.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    Just about any case with an "accidental" death when hunting it wouldn't matter if the person had a bow,shotgun,muzzleloader,rifle or blowgun. Every year some where you hear that someone killed a fellow hunter with a bow that doesn't mean if it was a compound bow they were using we shouldn't allow compound bows. I think our state and many other states should be more aggressive to addressing it when it happens and not just wash there hands of it and call it an accident and not have any criminal charges filed.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Have you ever walked around Wilber wright just outside New Castle around deer season ? WOW , stands on top of stands guys around there don't care if they see a stand up if that's where they want to hunt they just put there's up right next to the other one ... Its kind of crazy, I don't think I would want to hunt there with everyone carrying high power rifles.... Geeezzz you talk about the lead fly'n , Im surprised know one has ever been shot out there already with gun season the way it is... Maybe its just that they are not all there at the same time ????? I know it would suck to get in your stand before day light and after day break you would see 10 or 15 orange spots all over the place, if a deer walked out everybody would be shoot'n at the same deer, that thing would have more holes in it then swiss cheese... lmao

Last edited:

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    If you could prevent stupid people from using high powered rifles you'd be fine.

But there's a lot of idiots out there that shoots at anything that moves.

If it passes I'll stay away from public property on opening weekend.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I vote no as well..Not sure if anyone has been on state land during opening day of shotgun, but it sounds like WWIII going off out there. Dont think i want to be out in the woods with 1000 other hunters carrying a high powered rifle.

You want to call yourself a "sportsman", then make it more sporting. Bring on the rifle toting hoards. The real "enemy", the deer, aren't armed so you might as well add another level of excitement somewhere in the equation, right?

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I think his point was that people should be allowed to make choices that put themselves at risk. Whether or not they should be allowed to make choices that put others at risk is not so easily accepted.

We are still more likely killed driving to go hunting by a vehicle crossing the centerline and hitting us head on that being shot by anyone toting a whatever while hunting.

Most gun related hunting accident are self inflicted.

Again - where is the data showing that HPRs cause more accidental shootings than other types of firearms.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    We are still more likely killed driving to go hunting by a vehicle crossing the centerline and hitting us head on that being shot by anyone toting a whatever while hunting.

Most gun related hunting accident are self inflicted.

Again - where is the data showing that HPRs cause more accidental shootings than other types of firearms.

The data might be available after next gun season........ ;)

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    What I get a kick out of are the guys who say that Indiana is too flat for rifles. If a hunter is hunting flat ground, the rifle will never be held higher than level. Assuming that a shouldered rifle is about 30" off the ground for a hunter sitting on their butt, a 150-grain .308 is in the dirt by 400 yards on a 100-yard zero.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Thank goodness all bullets stop at first dirt contact.

But I do wonder, when said shooter pops one (or more) at a deer 300 or 400 yards out and the shot goes high, where that little bullet is going to make first contact with said dirt..........

Ground may not be as flat as shooter thinks either...............poor sap might be on the low side a little ways past.

Have hunted hilly and roll off areas, had enough slugs fly by from idiot slug gunners.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    The thing I don't understand is why do they want 243 and bigger ? Do they think 223 won't kill a deer or is it because we all (well most) already own 223's ? Just don't understand it !

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Thank goodness all bullets stop at first dirt contact.

But I do wonder, when said shooter pops one (or more) at a deer 300 or 400 yards out and the shot goes high, where that little bullet is going to make first contact with said dirt..........

Ground may not be as flat as shooter thinks either...............poor sap might be on the low side a little ways past.

The same can be said about slugs though.

Top Bottom