• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    What does everybody have for shtf vehicle? I've got a Polaris ranger to take off to the woods and my diesel pickups but was just curious as to what everybody else is gonna use. I'm thinking if getting an old military blazer or pickup.

Last edited:

L-W-R-C

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Willow Branch
    my civic, i would say truck but i would rather not stop 3 times as much for gas. or really anything for that matter. space isn't a problem it has a huge trunk.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    What if there's an emp used? That's why I was thinking of an ol military truck. No computer on there. My diesel truck would be out.

millfire517

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Grant County, IN
    mytruck.jpg
    album.php

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I plan on stayin at home but in emergency. I also have about 85 acres of woods behind my house I just bought this spring. Thinking of maybe putting a cabin back in there sometime as a little hideout.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Got my '94 Ford Ranger. Not a 4x4 but I have a CB if cell phones are out so my wife and I can talk on the way to our bug-out place--a relative who lives out in the country. She'll be drving her car. I have a camper top and am thinking about putting some steel across the inside of the tailgate and across the front of the bed area to protect me from bullets should they start flying my way. Any good ideas on how best to install that anyone? Also I am intending to match the carpeting behind the seats and put a hidden gun rack for either an AK or a shotgun. Just to have something besides my XD. Call me paranoid but I'd rather be ready and not need it.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    1. Ford F150
    2. The scooter I can lift into the back of it (120 miles/gallon). Your basic street legal 49cc scooter actually will handle some offroad trails ok because of it's light weight.
    3. My tootsies

Will0369

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Westfield
    I dont have one, but this new pickup called the "Mahindra", is a small diesel pickup that would not only be a workhorse, but get amazing fuel economy.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    The more thought I give to this subject the more a horse tends to make sense.

None of the following:

1. Belts
    2. Hoses
    3. Radiators
    4. Extra fuel cans
    5. EMP/Electrical issues
    6. Burned out bulbs
    Having said that, I'm sure there are a few trade-offs when compared to a fuel powered mode of transportation but the four-legged mode seems to outweigh the four-wheeled mode.

What's the going rate for a good horse, saddle, and assorted tack?

I would be interested in learning some more about this. It's been a long time since I rode a horse, although I did enjoy it.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Yeah the ranger will come in handy if I have to go to the woods. Horses would be a good vehicle but I'm no horse whisperer!

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    ... I'm thinking if getting an old military blazer or pickup.

If you do make sure you get several glow plug controllers and have 6-8 fuel filters on hand.
    Be prepared to remove the heads once a year to remove the swollen glow plugs and replace them.
    These are the most common failures that we had during my 8 years as a mechanic in the army.
    Off the top of my head I would say have:
    2 starters
    4 sets of glow plugs
    3 glow plug controllers
    6 fuel filters
    plus the normal hoses, air filters, etc.
    should keep you going for a year if your not careful, 2-3years if you are careful about how you start it.

Top Bottom