So whats it like when theres a weapons ban?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Elcardo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 14, 2020
    Ft.wayne
    Just wondering what it's like during an assault weapons ban as it pertains to parts
    I wasn't that into guns when the last one was still in effect ?
    had a pistol I carried , cheap shotgun and a bubba'd out sks with detachable mags lol
    Were you able to get parts? Was there even much of a supply of parts and accessories for like an ar15 at gun shops?
    Were parts more expensive than they had been?

kennedy759

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2014
    New Salisbury Ind
    they first had to make a list of what made a gun an assault rifle, about 7 things, like pistol grip, flash hider, threaded barrel end, bayonet lug, don`t remember the rest, anyway if it had 3 or more of the items it was an assault rifle. Sooo they started making them with less the 3 items, think the russian saiga rifle, ak-47 action, but no banned items. then the ban on high cap mags. the reason the ban did not work is it only applied to new guns and mags, those already made were still allowed to be sold, just no more could be made, but with so many already out there it did not make a difference, other then make the pre banned guns more expensive. anyway thats how I remember it

Gravyman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 21, 2022
    Fishers
    Nothing will happen. The key is to own your "banned" guns before they ban their sale. Which they won't anyway because it won't pass the senate. But uppers, parts, etc should still be readily available unless they're specifically called out to ban their manufacture and sale.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    But uppers, parts, etc should still be readily available unless they're specifically called out to ban their manufacture and sale.
    See, this is the part that confuses me, too. I wasn't old enough to remember the last AWB, so in hearing about it, I'm really confused about how that affected certain rifles, particularly one like the AR15? If a rifle had to have 3 things to make it an assault rifle, couldn't you just go to a guns store and buy a lower (no threaded barrel, so it only has 2 of the forbidden things in the telescoping stock and the pistol grip, so not an "assault rifle") and then buy an upper (only has 1 point against it in the thread barrel, so also not an "assault rifle") and them slap them together when you got home, and boom, ban evaded? How did they address that?

Gravyman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 21, 2022
    Fishers
    See, this is the part that confuses me, too. I wasn't old enough to remember the last AWB, so in hearing about it, I'm really confused about how that affected certain rifles, particularly one like the AR15? If a rifle had to have 3 things to make it an assault rifle, couldn't you just go to a guns store and buy a lower (no threaded barrel, so it only has 2 of the forbidden things in the telescoping stock and the pistol grip, so not an "assault rifle") and then buy an upper (only has 1 point against it in the thread barrel, so also not an "assault rifle") and them slap them together when you got home, and boom, ban evaded? How did they address that?
    I'm not sure they addressed it at all. Maybe there was some clause about "constructing" an assault weapon. Or maybe they would say doing that falls under the purview of the manufacture ban. All of those arguments are really a stretch and wouldn't hold up in a court (with a non activist judge) but that wouldn't stop them from charging you and ruining your life with the process, knowing you'll be cleared in the end anyway.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    The only thing that changed in the 1994 awb was the price.
    However, lots of misinformed people posted with great vigor. It was a complete cluster.....

Yeah, the internet was amazing in 1994.

Mostly the ban created neutered rifles (no muzzle devices), expensive preban guns, and expensive preban magazines (a lot of the AR ones were complete junk metal mags goign for crazy prices). You could still buy uppers, lowers, and parts and build rifles as you can now. The deal was much as a lot of laws are now... if you are running afoul of the law, don't get caught. If you built something in a preban configuration, you simply could get caught having it.

Unlike you, most of my gun buying started just after the ban started and I didn't have any experience buying firearms before the ban. I still hate metal AR mags because pretty much the only ones you could find back then were junk preban mags that barely worked. That was my experience anyway. I still won't use them even though there are good manufacturers out there putting out quality metal mags. That time was basically pre-internet also, and while not necessarily related to the ban, gathering information on good gear or training of any kind was difficult to say the least. Most information (in this case, disinformation) came from magazines (the paper kind) and gun show vendors. This is why I don't trust gun show vendors at all to this day. I wasted a ton of money and time on crap I didn't need because sources of good information were just not easy to come by.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    There were AR's out there during the ban. They were very expensive and much in demand. Me personally, I sprung for the much cheaper Mini-14, (bad idea.)

The AR, as we know them, started gaining huge popularity and noticeable design and configuration changes after the ban expired.

The vast availability of aftermarket parts (a lot better than original,) at competitive prices is the result of free market capitalism meeting demand.

If you cannot remember the ban, maybe you can remember folks bad-mouthing "frankenguns?" Have you noticed that you hardly hear that anymore? We are awash in great parts, with more quality innovative parts every day.

Never say never, but IMHO, there will be no more bans.

Just in case though, a good prepper mentality never hurts. We all should be watching the classifieds like a hawk. Gotta keep the guns you have running, on top of having parts ready for the next potential build. Hard to tell when you might have to put together the next new configuration, caliber, etc?

One is none right? Can't begin to tell you how many parts that a lot of us have accumulated, without a specific use at this time. I have a cabinet full of Magpul furniture, at least one BCG, a bunch of Gunfighter charging handles, BUIS, etc, etc.

Also a sweet expensive QD scope mount, still waiting on a reasonably priced Vortex (or similar) 6-24. In case someone wants to part with one. ;)

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Bwframe is correct. Two is one and one is none applies to rifles and pistols. Then add spare bolts, extractors, barrels, springs and all the possible spares that you think you might need for the next 20-30 years.

Then focus on mags and ammo. Minimum 10 mags per rifle and five mags per pistol. Then buy more mags for backups/training and future barter material.

Ammo can be divided into two types, defensive and training. Load up on defensive ammo first and then stockpile training ammo. With either type, if you see it on sale, buy it.

Two other areas that people scrimp on is training and secure storage for your firearms and ammo. Training should start with basic firearm courses and then progress to an Appleseed course, followed by a rifle or defensive pistol course. Then practice on a regular schedule. Secure storage means a good safe, fire resistant lockable cabinet for ammo in ammo cans and maybe alarms.

If I had invested in mags in the 80's, I could have tripled my investment during the 94-2004 ban. Same applies to ammo and AK style rifles during more recent times.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    For parts these guys are right here in Granger, IN. Worth subscribing to their mailing list and keeping track of the great sales they run. They make great spare parts kits that all of us should have in our rifle packs and range bags, along with a lot of other stuff.

Last thing I bought from them was this, after following a discussion here on INGO. Their standard price was better than Midway and Brownells, and happily they had a sale going on that justified purchasing two kits...

1658499253725.png

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    There were AR's out there during the ban. They were very expensive and much in demand. Me personally, I sprung for the much cheaper Mini-14, (bad idea.)

The AR, as we know them, started gaining huge popularity and noticeable design and configuration changes after the ban expired.

The vast availability of aftermarket parts (a lot better than original,) at competitive prices is the result of free market capitalism meeting demand.

If you cannot remember the ban, maybe you can remember folks bad-mouthing "frankenguns?" Have you noticed that you hardly hear that anymore? We are awash in great parts, with more quality innovative parts every day. ;)
    This is true. There was no motivation to innovate ARs back then. If the ban never set, carry handles would still be the cool guy thing.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The AWB back in the 90s was more cosmetic than anything, from the wording you would think that all high cap magazines and semi autos were illegal, but that wasn't the case. None the less it was a wake up call for gun owners and congressional democrats got pounded in the next election. It was more Clinton dazzle than anything, even corporate America was caught up in his side show, with shipping companies putting restrictions on firearms.

Bill Clinton was the rock star of the democrats at this time and pushed a lot of stuff through like the AWB and NAFTA, the 94 mid term elections put him on the defensive as lots dems including the sitting speaker, Tom Foley, lost their seats. Lots of dems who lost felt that this was caused by going along with Clinton, having been dazzled by his Hollwood used car salesman approach.

I see Gavin Newsom in the same mold as Bill.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yeah, the internet was amazing in 1994.

Mostly the ban created neutered rifles (no muzzle devices), expensive preban guns, and expensive preban magazines (a lot of the AR ones were complete junk metal mags goign for crazy prices). You could still buy uppers, lowers, and parts and build rifles as you can now. The deal was much as a lot of laws are now... if you are running afoul of the law, don't get caught. If you built something in a preban configuration, you simply could get caught having it.

Unlike you, most of my gun buying started just after the ban started and I didn't have any experience buying firearms before the ban. I still hate metal AR mags because pretty much the only ones you could find back then were junk preban mags that barely worked. That was my experience anyway. I still won't use them even though there are good manufacturers out there putting out quality metal mags. That time was basically pre-internet also, and while not necessarily related to the ban, gathering information on good gear or training of any kind was difficult to say the least. Most information (in this case, disinformation) came from magazines (the paper kind) and gun show vendors. This is why I don't trust gun show vendors at all to this day. I wasted a ton of money and time on crap I didn't need because sources of good information were just not easy to come by.
    Hooray for Telnet and FTP!

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Nothing would change much except prices for "grandfathered" stuff. The animals are already out of the barn and fences, running wild. The 1994 AWB didn't have nearly the quantity of AR and AK platform firearms in existence today. Knowing what occurred last time with grandfathering existing weapons, I expect any future AWB to demand everyone surrender anything banned or suffer decades in prison and astronomical fines. Any buyback to attempt getting around the Constitution's "Takings Clause" would provide a token $10 or $20 per firearm which would then be challenged. The collection would pile up all the worthless nonworking or completely shot-out junk, just as all buybacks do with only a few exceptions.

John

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I never really cared about AR15s until the ban. Went out and bought a post ban Colt HBAR. Didn't have a flash suppressor. My BIL gave me two full grocery bags of mags loaded with M885 green tip ammo for a gift. I have since expanded that considerably, in theory only you understand. And I milled the threads from a flash suppressor and used locking screws to put it on.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    The AWB back in the 90s was more cosmetic than anything, from the wording you would think that all high cap magazines and semi autos were illegal, but that wasn't the case. None the less it was a wake up call for gun owners and congressional democrats got pounded in the next election. It was more Clinton dazzle than anything, even corporate America was caught up in his side show, with shipping companies putting restrictions on firearms.

Bill Clinton was the rock star of the democrats at this time and pushed a lot of stuff through like the AWB and NAFTA, the 94 mid term elections put him on the defensive as lots dems including the sitting speaker, Tom Foley, lost their seats. Lots of dems who lost felt that this was caused by going along with Clinton, having been dazzled by his Hollwood used car salesman approach.

I see Gavin Newsom in the same mold as Bill.
    The numbers in 1994. Republicans picked up 54 seats in the house and a 6 in the senate. For majorities in both.
    Slick Willy commented that it was worth it.

Top Bottom