Office of the Attorney General
    Division of Criminal Investigation Bruce A. Salzburg
    Forrest C. Bright, Director Attorney General

MEMORANDUM

TO: All Wyoming Sheriffs
    All Wyoming Chiefs of Police

DATE: February 12, 2009

RE: Concealed Firearm Permit Reciprocity

I am writing to let all the agencies in Wyoming know of substantial changes resulting from review of other states’ concealed firearm criteria. The Wyoming Attorney General’s Office recently completed examination of the other 49 states statutes for the purpose of honoring concealed firearms permits issued by another state, or reciprocity.

Pursuant to Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-401(a)(iii), Wyoming will recognize a permit from another state that “has laws similar to the provisions of this section, as determined by the attorney general . . ..” The Wyoming Attorney General has determined that with the exception of 8 states, presently all the others concealed firearm permit statutes are not sufficiently similar to Wyoming’s. Specifically, Wyo. Stat. Ann. § 6-8-104(b)(v) prohibits issuance of a permit to any person who has been convicted of a controlled substance violation, felony or misdemeanor in any jurisdiction. Most other states’ analogous statutes do not.

The Wyoming Attorney General holds that if a misdemeanor drug conviction disqualifies a Wyoming resident, is also needs to disqualify an out-of-state permit holder. Due to the difference in how each state handles controlled substance convictions, Wyoming is also limited in our ability to maintain reciprocity with states we may have previously.

Accordingly, as of March 1, 2009, Wyoming can only honor concealed firearm permits issued by the following states: Connecticut, Ohio, Georgia, Oklahoma, Maryland, Oregon, Massachusetts, and Utah.

If you want to send the govenor a letter protesting this fiaco then here is the link BTY I did...

http://governor.wy.gov/contact-dave/default.html

Yamadog35

- - - - - - - - - - - -
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Just came across this on another site. Posted by a Wyoming LEO:
    <snip>
    Accordingly, as of March 1, 2009, Wyoming can only honor concealed firearm permits issued by the following states: Connecticut, Ohio, Georgia, Oklahoma, Maryland, Oregon, Massachusetts, and Utah.
    <snip>
    I just posted this in another thread. Looks like the Wy AG has backed off of this position for now.
    Link --> https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._from_it_s_reciprocity_list-2.html#post263975

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    It would be most convenient if more states honored our carry permits.

I went to college in Maryland for a bit, and it was illegal for me to carry there. While attending school out there, I twice had ...individuals... threaten me with guns.

And I did not like it. Not even a little bit.

model67a

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    jasper
    Lifetime permit

Boy I hope that is not true about discontinuing the lifetimes. Got my 4 year about 2 months before they started and can't get my lifetime until my current permit is within 180 days of expiration. That really would suck if I missed it on both ends!!! stay safe

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Boy I hope that is not true about discontinuing the lifetimes. Got my 4 year about 2 months before they started and can't get my lifetime until my current permit is within 180 days of expiration. That really would suck if I missed it on both ends!!! stay safe

It's not. I got my 4 year in hand the week before the Lifetime was available. There is no bill in the legislature to rescind the Lifetime. I can and will transmit my application as of December of this year, which means you can probably do so in October.

Good luck!

Blessings,
    Bill

tackleberry65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    speedway
    :laugh:

Does anyone know why states choose to deny some states but not others? Is it training related?

I'm working on VA. My brother is in the Navy out there. I emailed the VA attorney general. Their office said that Indiana wasn't honored because we don't provide instant verification of permit status. When I emailed the Indiana state police and attorney general, they said we do provide instant verification. This thread reminded me that I need to follow up on that.

WV never responded to my inquiry on the subject. Go figure. You'd think that WV would be an extremely pro-gun state.

Taipan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Greenfield, IN
    So... 'Indiana Resident Permits Only" means you have to be a resident of Indiana for them to honor your permit... and not say a citizen of another state (For example someone in Ohio, with a Florida permit so they can CC) right?

That's partially correct. Indiana offers a "non-resident" permit. That's what it's talking about. If you have a non-resident permit, then you can not carry in those states.

Ripleydog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I will be going to Florida in a couple weeks. I see florida and the other states i will be driving through honor my IN permit. Are there any regulations I should know about while driving? are there certain states where the gun can not be loaded, ect....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I will be going to Florida in a couple weeks. I see florida and the other states i will be driving through honor my IN permit. Are there any regulations I should know about while driving? are there certain states where the gun can not be loaded, ect....

TN requires that you inform a police officer if you are pulled over. I do not know if this is required in KY, GA, or FL. You may have to go to each State Police website to find out. Or, you can err on the side of caution and tell them. I normally don't in IN, but if you are out of state you either need to know their rules or err on caution. Also, some states have laws against carrying in bars, so if you stop for a bite to eat, keep that in mind. Lastly, be aware that at least FL, and possibly others along the way, do not allow open carry and require you to conceal. I don't know what that means while you are in the car, but once out, you need to cover up.

If you have specific questions post them here or in another pertinent thread.... it's very likely that your questions have already been answered and discussed elsewhere. The search function is a little picky but can be pretty useful. Enjoy your trip.

Top Bottom