• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Catfish33

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Clifford, In
    Planning a trip to St. Louis and would like to take my CCW. Am I right to believe according to this site that I can OC through Ill.? Pack-N-Go Carry Concealed Trip Planner Results
    Also founs this tid bit on an Illinois site

"If a non-resident is coming to Illinois to hunt and would like to bring their firearm, how do they legally transport it? Non- residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:
    1. Unloaded, and
    2. Enclosed in a case, and
    3. Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state."

Last edited:

ABolt243

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Shelbyville, IL
    Planning a trip to St. Louis and would like to take my CCW. Am I right to believe according to this site that I can OC through Ill.? Pack-N-Go Carry Concealed Trip Planner Results
    Also founs this tid bit on an Illinois site

"If a non-resident is coming to Illinois to hunt and would like to bring their firearm, how do they legally transport it? Non- residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:
    1. Unloaded, and
    2. Enclosed in a case, and
    3. Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state."

NO!!!!! Do not open carry or any other kind of carry through Illinois!!! Before crossing into IL, disarm, unload the firearm and put it in a case.

Sorry, we're trying to get things changed, but that Daley fella that somebody here likes is a royal pain in the butt!!

AB

ABolt243

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Shelbyville, IL
    Thanks for the clarification ABolt.

You're welcome. There is a debate now about Illinois' ambiguous law concerning incorporated/unincorporated carry. But even if it's allowed in unincorporated areas, it does the traveler no good considering that you will be passing through incorporated areas. And, IL law is specific about no loaded guns in vehicles unless they are locked away out of reach.

Unloaded and cased will keep you out of trouble.

AB

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I was told last year, can't remember by whom, that honorably discharged veterans were eligible to purchase a 4 year permit that allowed carry (OC/CC?) in 37 states. A little salty, but,...
    Does this ring any bells with anyone, or was this just a wet dream?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I was told last year, can't remember by whom, that honorably discharged veterans were eligible to purchase a 4 year permit that allowed carry (OC/CC?) in 37 states. A little salty, but,...
    Does this ring any bells with anyone, or was this just a wet dream?

If it's not a wet dream, I'd sure love to know where to get one! Particularly one that WV honors, since I don't know of any non-resident permits they honor. Which means that a Florida or Utah non-resident permit would do me no good when I go visit my Mom :(

whitewolf68

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Toledo
    WOW!! Holy $hit! I just looked at the Indiana permit application. 1 stinking page?? Really?? Ohio you have to take and pass a class consisting of 8 hours class room and 4 hours live fire, if memory serves correct. The application is $45 and 2 pages long. Damn near the same as buying a gun. I sure wish I did live in Indiana again. I love the lifetime license too. Best I can do is wait for my DD214 and DD201 to arrive as proof of military service to opt out of the class portion next renewal.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Well, that training requirement is why Ohio won't recognize our Hoosier permit.. and as much as I like Ohio (especially chocolate/peanutbutter buckeyes) I don't like that part..

agentl074

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    WOW!! Holy ! I just looked at the Indiana permit application. 1 stinking page?? Really?? Ohio you have to take and pass a class consisting of 8 hours class room and 4 hours live fire, if memory serves correct. The application is $45 and 2 pages long. Damn near the same as buying a gun. I sure wish I did live in Indiana again. I love the lifetime license too. Best I can do is wait for my DD214 and DD201 to arrive as proof of military service to opt out of the class portion next renewal.

Shoot, I would just use the DD2586 VMET or your T/A ID card. I only give the DD214 out to employers or universities for veterans preference and/or benefits. Unless you did not keep any of those other documents....

Ya that is what I don't like about other states and their gun permits. You have the right to carry and the privilege to drive a vehicle! You should not have to take a test for a right - it's not a drivers license!

Last edited:

whitewolf68

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Toledo
    Shoot, I would just use the DD2586 VMET or your T/A ID card. I only give the DD214 out to employers or universities for veterans preference and/or benefits. Unless you did not keep any of those other documents....

Ya that is what I don't like about other states and their gun permits. You have the right to carry and the privilege to drive a vehicle! You should not have to take a test for a right - it's not a drivers license!

I do not have ANY of my documents here with me. I know that my mother has some of them in her safe along with my blue braid and some awards. I just want to give the government as much information on my military past so that I can opt the hell out of those classes. I think the training I received a long time ago while in the service should mean more. Hell I still react to certain sounds and other things because of the ingrained training. :D

I agree with you 100% about the license, but consider that Ohio is, well how to say it politely, JACKED BEYOND BELIEF!! While i like where I live location wise, I am continually working to change things on a small scale in the fight for my rights.

whitewolf68

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Toledo
    The bad thing is that the states on either side of Indiana don't honor our permits.

Don't feel too bad Remmy, look at Ohio's permit acceptance. It is probably worse because of our law system. We, Ohio, are isolating ourselves by putting such strict laws in place like Chicago, New York and California. Granted we have not gotten to those extremes YET. Give it time I am sure the government here will.

Top Bottom