• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    That's similar to what we do. If its going to be iffy, the kids sleep downstairs, right outside our bedroom and literally a step or two from the basement steps. Clothes, shoes, wallets, a firearm or two, flashlights, radios", etc. are prestaged in the basement. Ive never had to do it, but trying to walk out of a destroyed house in your underwear and bare feet would not be pretty (in more ways than one:))

LOL! So True!

I remember Gary England (he is "The" weather guy in OKC) during the May 3rd tornado. He was the only person who said "Get underground, you will not survive". I had never heard that out of anyone before that day and there were a lot of lives saved because of that message going out.

Underground, in my opinion, is the best option. I have family with those safe rooms but when the big storms are coming I would rather be under ground. Those twisters like to pick things up and throw them and I just don't think I want to be on the receiving end of that pitch. Still shopping for the right thing, but thinking it will end up at the top of the priorities list very soon.

Patrolman1981

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Richmond, In
    I like the underground version. I have a deep basement with a room poured just as a storm shelter. 12' x 12' with 12" poured walls and ceiling. Thought i would someday buy a vault door and have a gun room, but for now it is a perfect storm shelter. As for the bolt down units. If the storm that just went through Henryville can pick up school busses like nothing I dont think I would bet my life on one bolted down. It might protect you from flying debris but you might still take a wild ride.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    As for the bolt down units. If the storm that just went through Henryville can pick up school busses like nothing I dont think I would bet my life on one bolted down. It might protect you from flying debris but you might still take a wild ride.
    For that to happen, the wind has to get under where you are hiding.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For that to happen, the wind has to get under where you are hiding.

It would get under one of these. And remember, straight line winds topple things over before they are picked up and thrown about. Not arguing at all, just saying.

The big fear I have with this is the half ton ford pick up truck sailing through the air and slamming into it. Then all the rest of the airborne debris follows. Needs to be buried out of the line of fire.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I'm glad we have a basement. My only concern is that when/if the house gets blown in, it will come in on top of us. I guess you have to pick your poison. :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I wonder how a cargo container would hold up in a storm? Some of the smaller ones can be had for reasonable prices, and I would think they would work well when secured to a concrete pad.

Pad should be well secured. Concrete just sits on the fill below. It would also require anchoring down.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I'm glad we have a basement. My only concern is that when/if the house gets blown in, it will come in on top of us. I guess you have to pick your poison.

If I had a basement, I think one of those storm shelters, the one that is sectioned and bolted together, would likely work well. You are below the surface for the most part, so the missile issue that churchmouse pointed out is negated for the most part.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If I had a basement, I think one of those storm shelters, the one that is sectioned and bolted together, would likely work well. You are below the surface for the most part, so the missile issue that churchmouse pointed out is negated for the most part.

Helped a good friend build a safe room in his basement a few years ago. It is not a bank vault by any means but it will withstand about anything mother nature can throw at it even a minor flood. The amount of work and money spent was not that bad. He keeps his preps, firearms and valuables in it. I realize everyone does not have a basement. One of these may fit your needs if it is all you can do. Protecting your family is the most important thing.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    As with Okie girl I saw Norman, Moore, and OKC shortly after the F5 went thru in '99. If you were within the footprint of the tornado itself and you were above ground you were DEAD! That sucker left whole subdivisions with nothing to prove their existance other than the concrete slabs the houses once sat on. Nothing, not even the asphalt of the streets were left!

Do it right, put it underground with access from inside the house, don't stack a bunch of crap on the door, don't use it for storage and make sure everybody knows how to properly secure it from inside. Make sure the right people know where to look for you after your house, car, boat etc are piled on top of it, relax and wait for help to arrive.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I've seen some good options from Safe Zone, and they do say they have a presence in Indiana. My only concern is that it seems very close to the surface, perhaps within a foot? They have models available with steel or fiberglass...not sure which I prefer right now. Fiberglass is less upkeep but steel is steel.

The images from May of '99 are hard to shake, lots of people died that day taking cover in their closets, bath tubs, under mattresses in their hallway, etc... I can't imagine being anywhere but underground with my family.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    I had a "hidey hole" or storm shelter put in my back yard several years ago. My neighbors and my family use it. I am a spotter and am normally out taking photos while everyone is hunkered down.

I got it from a company in Texas. They were called 'Tornado Alley" and brought it up from Texas to Kokomo. The cost was $3,500. It was going to cost me $9,000 to put in a 10x10 basement with just the concrete poured for the floor and walls. One thing sweet is my shelter does not flood. They had it installed in 4 hours. Dug the hole, put it in the top and bottom, bolted it together, caulked it, put the dirt around three sides and were on their way back to Texas.

We have taken shelter in there at least a few times a year. Nothing to worry about being in the ground. :D

Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    I wonder how a cargo container would hold up in a storm? Some of the smaller ones can be had for reasonable prices, and I would think they would work well when secured to a concrete pad.
    There are a few companies that sell them sealed up and ready to use. I've thought of that myself too. I've seen a few websites that sell used ones for about 2k

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    There are a few companies that sell them sealed up and ready to use. I've thought of that myself too. I've seen a few websites that sell used ones for about 2k

Cut a hole in the top of it & install some sort of steel door. Bury it. Good to go.

:yesway:

Oh, & put a ladder inside the door...

Top Bottom