• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    It's all about trade offs.....

With the below garage type, there is not a second form of egress, and the building might be on top of you.
    With any below ground unit water may be a problem.
    With any above ground unit, it won't offer as much protection.

That was my thought. I think I would much rather have an above ground shelter that can be seen, than a below ground shelter that could get covered and overlooked.

Build one into the ground that is two-thirds below grade and just outside the house/garage. If the crawlspace of the house isn't damp, then the chances are that you are not going to have a water problem.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Once we end up moving here this year or next year, I'm getting one installed in the garage floor. There are videos that show that just because it could happen, the garage doesn't necessarily end up over the door, nor does the wall come down. Even if 90% of the time an F5 blows a car, garage door, and brick wall over the sliding door, so be it. I would rather be alive and stuck than deal with near imminent death taking shelter above ground.

And depending on what house we end up buying, there is a strong possibility of actually just adding on a three season slab sun room. Again, the frame of the house could fall onto the opening, but big deal. Just let family and friends (not neighbors per se) know that if they hear of a tornado through your area, start calling the cell phone, sending messages on Facebook, e-mails, etc.. If there is no response, have them call the county and let rescuers know of the issue.

Again, you would want to preposition items in the box that could help: Old cell phone that can still dial 911, batteries to charge the cell phone, air horn, flare gun. So long as you can get a small gap and see daylight, you should be able to shoot off a flare gun. Don't do it if gas might be leaking. In that case, a smoke grenade/stick might be better. Air horn would be the best. Also put in some ear plugs, battery powered lantern, etc..

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    The video I watched of the in the floor shelter had a come a long in there to help open the door, so atleast you could use lights or sound to advise your location. Also I was thinking you could take a battery powered sawzall and a hand saw to use if possible...

kylerudibaugh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    When we take shelter in my base ment I have multiple supplies pre positioned. Inluding chainsaw, ax, hatchet, sawzall w/ metal and wood demo blades 2 fressh batteries, E- tool and long pry bar. I worry about being trapped.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    That mother in southern IN lost her legs while she was protecting her 2 kids with her body, when they were in the basement and the house came crashing in. That's why you need the protection of the SW corner of the basement under a strong table or workbench...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That mother in southern IN lost her legs while she was protecting her 2 kids with her body, when they were in the basement and the house came crashing in. That's why you need the protection of the SW corner of the basement under a strong table or workbench...

It is not all that hard to shore up a corner of the basement with heavy timbers.
    I have helped friends do just that.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I think is goes without saying that there is no "perfect" solution for the majority of us common folk.
    "Perfect" solutions cost a lot of money. Ideally a storm shelter is underground with multiple points of ingress and egress. A properly situated entrance from within the home leading to an underground room with ventilation and some supplies would be good, then an exit located further away from the house, preferably out in the open away from buildings and trees would be great.
    I've seen a few units like this and they were excellent but VERY pricy.
    As for me... I'll just hide in my dinky ass hole in the ground (root cellar) and hope for the best... if it's my time... well... there's no law saying I can't go kicking and screaming like a wuss. :D

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I think is goes without saying that there is no "perfect" solution for the majority of us common folk.
    "Perfect" solutions cost a lot of money. Ideally a storm shelter is underground with multiple points of ingress and egress. A properly situated entrance from within the home leading to an underground room with ventilation and some supplies would be good, then an exit located further away from the house, preferably out in the open away from buildings and trees would be great.
    I've seen a few units like this and they were excellent but VERY pricy.
    As for me... I'll just hide in my dinky ass hole in the ground (root cellar) and hope for the best... if it's my time... well... there's no law saying I can't go kicking and screaming like a wuss. :D
    My ideal shelter would be a concrete room off of a basement, probably around 12x12 (if not bigger). This room would also serve as storage for most of my preps (food, water, blankets, etc). I like this idea because I would not need to go into the storm to access my shelter, I would have adequate supplies to survive in the shelter in the event egress is blocked and it takes a couple days to be found, and most importantly it would protect my preps from being destroyed (giving me something to be self sufficient while others seek help from FEMA and the like). It would also keep someone from coming on my property and helping themselves to the things I would have stored inside. If they're helping themselves when it's in my basement, well, I have bigger problems.

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I have not considered one of those, but I have been thinking seriously about an underground shelter. My property is pretty much flat, so I'm thinking of doing some digging. I would love to have a hill side to dig into and pour some concrete walls. That's about the only type of shelter I would feel 100% safe in during something like what we saw yesterday. I heard a tornado ripped up pavement on Hwy 60 in Washington Co. I'd much prefer to be under ground in that type of situation.

The tornado took out the north bound side of hwy 135 about a mile from my house. Definately looking to obtain something (below ground) that can handle an F5. In the recent years two have touched down right in the same spot. Too close to my home.

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    One thing they did recognize in Katrina is even though you could not call out on your cellphone, you could still send and recieve text messages.

If you do put in a shelter, especially in a garage, be sure to let your local fire department or emergency services know in case you get buried by debris.

My tornado shelter is capable of picking up weather on the emergency radio, track weather with my wife's lap top on the wireless router, and call or text with my cellphone. The only downside is we have to go outside and walk ten feet to enter the shelter. In the middle of the night or during a downpour it is a pain in the butt. But we are safe and secure once inside.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    She was in a walk out basement.

Not faulting her, tragic. Just saying as we are discussing a proper shelter for such things. I have assisted in doing the structural with friends to make a shelter or safe room in the basement. For a few hundred dollars you can make a secure place for family and preps.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Not faulting her, tragic. Just saying as we are discussing a proper shelter for such things. I have assisted in doing the structural with friends to make a shelter or safe room in the basement. For a few hundred dollars you can make a secure place for family and preps.
    What materials did you use? I'm thinking lumber 4x4 and bigger, creating a structure similar to what you would see in one of those old west gold mines.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I wonder how a cargo container would hold up in a storm? Some of the smaller ones can be had for reasonable prices, and I would think they would work well when secured to a concrete pad.

They'd get pulled right off the re-enforced anchors with little to no problem, anything above ground is fair game for a tornado to play havoc with.

For that to happen, the wind has to get under where you are hiding.

No it does not, there have been numerous instances of tornado's destroying re-enforced shelters. Wind is just one of a tornado's deadly aspects, there is also the upward suction that has lifted very large objects and carried them distances that are simply astonishing.

I'm glad we have a basement. My only concern is that when/if the house gets blown in, it will come in on top of us. I guess you have to pick your poison. :)

That's why you need to pick one corner and re-enforce it as much as possible with nothing attached to the main structure. It would prevent it from being pulled off with the house is destroyed and swept away.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What materials did you use? I'm thinking lumber 4x4 and bigger, creating a structure similar to what you would see in one of those old west gold mines.

We have done a few and everyone was different depending on the height of the area, the basic structure we started with and how it was to be finished.
    The neatest one in my opinion was done with 2X6 stud walls sheet-ed in half inch plywood both sides and made into a safe room with a steel door and its own battery bank light system. He put all his preps, guns and so on in it along with bunk beds and a pantry with its own water supply. Basically a bomb shelter but not quit as strong. The stud walls supported the perimeter and 2 steel I beams crossed the area for the ceiling support. The house could fall on it and they would be safe. There are also anchors and cables in the stud walls to keep the area in place should the house experience the "Hoover" effect from a tornado. We strapped the floor joists or the top of these areas and anchored them to the concrete walls to further keep the area intact. Nothing is foolproof but this area is as near to it as we could make it. The total cost was a bit more than most would want to spend but you could do a lot with less and be safer than most folks.
    We have done the 4X4 thing as you mentioned but with no walls. We shored up one corner of the basement not unlike a mine shaft. Strapped the edges etc. Very sturdy. Again, nothing is perfect but something is better than nothing.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    We have done a few and everyone was different depending on the height of the area, the basic structure we started with and how it was to be finished.
    The neatest one in my opinion was done with 2X6 stud walls sheet-ed in half inch plywood both sides and made into a safe room with a steel door and its own battery bank light system. He put all his preps, guns and so on in it along with bunk beds and a pantry with its own water supply. Basically a bomb shelter but not quit as strong. The stud walls supported the perimeter and 2 steel I beams crossed the area for the ceiling support. The house could fall on it and they would be safe. There are also anchors and cables in the stud walls to keep the area in place should the house experience the "Hoover" effect from a tornado. We strapped the floor joists or the top of these areas and anchored them to the concrete walls to further keep the area intact. Nothing is foolproof but this area is as near to it as we could make it. The total cost was a bit more than most would want to spend but you could do a lot with less and be safer than most folks.

That's probably the best idea I have heard so far. You have gotta have a door that closes, even if it is in a basement room. A lot of people forget that everything gets airborne in a tornado - even little bits of lumber, dirt, stones, etc... If you aren't covered up, that stuff gets embedded in your skin and will scratch you up pretty bad while it's blowing around.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That's probably the best idea I have heard so far. You have gotta have a door that closes, even if it is in a basement room. A lot of people forget that everything gets airborne in a tornado - even little bits of lumber, dirt, stones, etc... If you aren't covered up, that stuff gets embedded in your skin and will scratch you up pretty bad while it's blowing around.

The door was really nice. We used a steel frame unit with upper and lower dead bolts and a regular knob. The steel frame added to the structural integrity. Like I said, it was a spendy project but well worth the money and effort just in case.

Top Bottom