• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have read they don't weather well when buried.

Are you referring to a shipping container like you see on the trucks etc???
    If so that could be stripped and sealed up. coated like Jeremy and others have mentioned. It would be big enough for a lot of things. Bury it. Almost like a bomb shelter.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Are you referring to a shipping container like you see on the trucks etc???
    If so that could be stripped and sealed up. coated like Jeremy and others have mentioned. It would be big enough for a lot of things. Bury it. Almost like a bomb shelter.
    Yea, that's what I'm talking about. I looked into them a while back and found a lot of information stating they're not the best option for burying.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yea, that's what I'm talking about. I looked into them a while back and found a lot of information stating they're not the best option for burying.

I can see why not but they could be made sound with the right effort. Just a thought. The size is what interests me. You could put all your preps in one and have room to move around. Battery lights and radio. The temp would be OK if buried. Some kind of fresh air snorkel needed. Crap, am I describing a nuclear bomb shelter. I am a child of the Nuclear age.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I can see why not but they could be made sound with the right effort. Just a thought. The size is what interests me. You could put all your preps in one and have room to move around. Battery lights and radio. The temp would be OK if buried. Some kind of fresh air snorkel needed. Crap, am I describing a nuclear bomb shelter. I am a child of the Nuclear age.
    It wouldn't need to be a full length box, either. I would think even one of the half boxes would have sufficient room to keep supplies and have room for people.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It wouldn't need to be a full length box, either. I would think even one of the half boxes would have sufficient room to keep supplies and have room for people.

I was thinking of my crew. 4/6 adults and 1/2 children. I do get carried away at times. Still, it is a good idea and would cover a variety of scenarios. Just thinking out load.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The key would be to make it not only corrosion proof for long term ground contact, but also to be leak/water proof.

But I agree, a 1/2 container would work pretty well, 8' wide/8' tall/20' long. That would hold a lot of supplies and a large/extended family very comfortably for a storm, or perhaps a bit longer. Build in some 3 high bunk beds, a small kitchenette, it could be semi-cozy.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I was thinking of my crew. 4/6 adults and 1/2 children. I do get carried away at times. Still, it is a good idea and would cover a variety of scenarios. Just thinking out load.
    I have slept 7 men in a 20' Conex for a couple of weeks. I do not recommend the experience. I Would not go over 3-4/20' Conex... ;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It would take some serious work but in my early days in the refrigeration trade we built some meat coolers at a slaughter house that were under ground as they had no room above. The sealed the panels with some kind of black pitch that i thought would never come off of me. That was in 1970 or so. I have been to that facility since then working on the refer units and the box is still in use or was about 7 years ago. Have it blasted and clean, a few rolls of wire, couple of tanks of argon, a good miller and it is sealed up. Again, just thinking out loud.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I am looking at one that is buried in the garage floor.

Hum, my brother had both cars parked in his garage with the door closed when the F5 hit. After it hit, the garage door was somehow under the cars and the exterior brick wall had colapsed on top of one of them...kinda like a car sandwich. Not sure I want to be patient while my neighbors (if any are left) dug me out. Just sayin'...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Makes perfect sense. It would have to be re-engineered. That would not be hard but steel is not cheap. I used to pick up free steel channel and angle all over the place but the scrapers get it before it hits the ground now. It was just an idea.
    I'm a couple pages in, and the basic consensus is to go block/concrete. By the time you re-engineer the shipping container you have defeated the cost effectiveness of it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm a couple pages in, and the basic consensus is to go block/concrete. By the time you re-engineer the shipping container you have defeated the cost effectiveness of it.

You would still have to seal it up and put fresh air to it. I can see the block construction being the proper way to go. Again, fall out shelter. Thanks for the info. You probably saved me from myself.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    You would still have to seal it up and put fresh air to it. I can see the block construction being the proper way to go. Again, fall out shelter. Thanks for the info. You probably saved me from myself.
    I may end up registering on that forum to get some more info...

One suggestion was to look into septic tanks. I found a thread where a guy used a 1500 gallon tank and he said it was pretty reasonable to do.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I may end up registering on that forum to get some more info...

One suggestion was to look into septic tanks. I found a thread where a guy used a 1500 gallon tank and he said it was pretty reasonable to do.

It was new I hope...LOL
    That makes perfect sense. If you are going in that direction and feel the need it would be a viable option.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hum, my brother had both cars parked in his garage with the door closed when the F5 hit. After it hit, the garage door was somehow under the cars and the exterior brick wall had colapsed on top of one of them...kinda like a car sandwich. Not sure I want to be patient while my neighbors (if any are left) dug me out. Just sayin'...

How would they know you are in there? :dunno:

Top Bottom