• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I remember even years ago when I was in school people getting in trouble at school for smoking at the bus stop. I'm not comparing air soft to illegal underage smoking. What im saying is these school systems think they have unlimited reach and power.
    want to change it? Don't re-elect the same dumb ass school board members. Show up to pro and school board meetings.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I went to Brownsburg Schools (indiana) graduated in the early 2000's and I remember two students got expelled for a fight that occurred over a weekend at one of the kids houses. it was written in the "student handbook" that anything that occurred between two students regardless of location would fall under the school rules. I don't know if it is still that way but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

and NO I don't think it justified. the school rules should stop at school property lines/no on school equipment.
    Current Brownsburg policy:
    http://www.brownsburg.k12.in.us/Documents/General/13-14/2013 - 2014 BHS Handbook.pdf
    Page 13
    The expectations and consequences listed are intended to address behavior on the school grounds during and immediately before or immediately after school hours, traveling to or from school or a school activity, function, or event, on the school
    grounds at any other time when the school is being used by any school group, or off the school grounds at a school
    activity, function, or event. The Board has also extended the authority for school administrators to impose
    discipline for unlawful activity by students that occurs on or off School property if the activity interferes with School
    purposes or the educational function of the School, which may include unlawful activity that may occur on
    weekends, holidays, and other School breaks including summer recess.
    And on page 14:
    SCOPE OF JURISDICTION -- This Code of Student Conduct is in effect while students are under the authority of school personnel or involved in any school activity. This includes but is not limited to school buses and property
    under the control of school authorities, and while at inter-scholastic competitions, extracurricular events, or other
    school activities or programs. This Code of Student Conduct specifically refers to: misconduct by a student that
    occurs off school district property but is connected to activities or incidents that have occurred on school district
    property and, misconduct by a student that, regardless of where it occurs, is directed at a district official or
    employee or the property of an official or employee.

So, at least in Brownsburg, the OP's article on "shooting zombies with AirSoft" should amount to nothing at all. It was off-property, not illegal, and had nothing to do with a school function.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    What's even funnier......

My little girl (3 years old) and I were down at a neighbors last week. She and their two boys were driving their battery-powered Jeeps around and "shooting" toy guns (an empty squirt gun, an empty cap gun, and a pirate's blunderbuss). Should their school(s) be worried? Us parents certainly were not.

My girl even said "HEY! Point that over there." When the other kids would "shoot" at her (by yelling BANG). She's getting the rules.... slowly.....

On one hand, I do understand WHY the school has rules: so many parents simply do not. However, when us parents DO, then the school needs to back off. This "zero thought / zero tolerance" BS needs to go.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    What's even funnier......

My little girl (3 years old) and I were down at a neighbors last week. She and their two boys were driving their battery-powered Jeeps around and "shooting" toy guns (an empty squirt gun, an empty cap gun, and a pirate's blunderbuss). Should their school(s) be worried? Us parents certainly were not.

My girl even said "HEY! Point that over there." When the other kids would "shoot" at her (by yelling BANG). She's getting the rules.... slowly.....

On one hand, I do understand WHY the school has rules: so many parents simply do not. However, when us parents DO, then the school needs to back off. This "zero thought / zero tolerance" BS needs to go.

According to the school's rules - You need to punish her.

How about some Ice Cream.

jaeisber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Westfield
    This neighbor is a waste of humanity and a prime example of whats going wrong with our country. She knew it was a toy gun, yet decided to spew nonsense anyway...she deserves to be sued or have some legal action taken against her.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    911 operator should have told the caller to shut the hell up and wait for the police to show up and charge her with making a false report and breach of peace.

School board should be sued.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    OMG, Call SWAT!!

20121221-ChristmasStory.jpg

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So, at least in Brownsburg, the OP's article on "shooting zombies with AirSoft" should amount to nothing at all. It was off-property, not illegal, and had nothing to do with a school function.

Student was waiting for a bus to take him to school = 'school function' of waiting for a bus. ;)

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    And soon enough, they'll push inside the front door of the home, like a SWAT team executing a faulty warrant, and claim jurisdiction over their students' morning routine. What kind of breakfast the parents have to feed them. Everything they do once their feet hit the floor. What kind of "informational content" is permitted on the home's media devices during that morning routine.

And then, it'll extend to the child's sleeping habits. What they do in the privacy of their own home before going to bed, what kind of PJs they wear, what kind of bed they sleep in, what kind of bed linens they sleep on. After all, if they're not well rested from the night before, the school's educational mission will be undercut, right? And that will get them into the child's evening routine, what they watch on TV, what kind of exclusively educational activities they are permitted in their own parents' home.

There is truly no end to the intolerable jurisdiction creep at play here. They stopped at the front door of the home because that's a clear and undeniable physical threshold. How about we push back the other direction? Until the child passes the clear and undeniable physical threshold owned by the school, they remain free. Until they step through the bus door, until they step through the school door (screw the school property line) for the first time that day until they egress for the last time that day, the school's rules just don't apply and they hold no binding opinions about anything the child says or does.

Well-said, and incredibly frightening.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    So I suppose studying at home = school function?
    Sleeping in order to have enough rest for school = school function?
    Eating breakfast to have the strength for school = school function?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So I suppose studying at home = school function?
    Sleeping in order to have enough rest for school = school function?
    Eating breakfast to have the strength for school = school function?

!!!CORRECT!!!
    (my pruple is broken BTW)

Are you dare questioning the authority of the school board and of the .gov?
    I think you are considering by your avatar that you are a domestic terrorist with such a scare rifle. ;)

Top Bottom