• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This is also part of a larger, more insidious problem -- the feminization of boys and men. Making boys and men feel that their natural tendencies that have served society well since society began, such as being a protector and defender, a competitor, aggressive, and the games boys play to act out those roles, are wrong. The behaviors driven by testosterone (a big difference between men and women) are demonized, and both boys from a young age and men are told that they need to get in touch with their feminine side. What a crock. But it has been going on for a long time, and has taken its toll on boys, men, women in their lives, families, and our society. Punishing boys for just being normal, natural boys is only one symptom of this much bigger problem. OK, off the :soapbox:.

Heh, apparently feminists heard the saying "boys will be boys" and decided to make them girls instead?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I think it's more of a pity that parents (generically speaking) in today's world don't use more common sense--if I had tried to use a pellet gun on other kids in my neighborhood and chased them down the street with one, my hide would have been well tanned before everything was said and done. I had much more respect for and fear of my parents' anger than I ever did of my school's disciplinary policies. It's rather sad that this no longer seems to be the case in our society.
    Yes, all true. But it doesn't change the fact that this is not in any way a school issue, let alone a school safety issue.

We are on dangerous ground if this is acceptable to anyone.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I see many levels of failure here. The parents first off for not teaching their kids basic gun safety rules. Only airsoft guns but they were still shooting them at other kids and sounds like they were running around like want to be thugs. The neighbor for not taking it to the kids and parents and for going straight to the 911 call. She stated that she thought it was a toy gun and not real. The police for notifying the school about an issue that had nothing to do with school. The school for over stepping their authority/boundaries.
    Parents need to read their children's student handbook and be familiar with the content. They need to get involved and step up when the school board/school staff tries to overstep it boundaries. I sent a letter to one of my son's teachers on the second day of school this year because her "course expectations" were not in line with the school policy. I politely but firmly advised her to read the policy and change her policy to come in line with the school's.
    I called out my daughter's principle a few years ago for trying to interject his "feelings" on school policy and then climbed in his ass big time when he lied to my face. I reminded him that he worked for me and that the school board hired him and the school board could fire him.
    Too many people that don't want to get involved in too many issues.

jaeisber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Westfield
    The ignorance involved here is amazing...how anyone would think letting a school decide what activities are allowed on private property is a good idea is beyond me.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    For the record, I'm not getting into the debate about the actions described within the OP's linked story. I am instead going to share what I think is a relevant link from the FB page of the school system in question. Those of you not completely preoccupied with the original description of events might find the statement released by the school board's president a little more informative. I'm not saying it accurately describes events either, but am just offering another point of view.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p480x480/578012_458445700937459_825950060_n.jpg

Just in case that link doesn't work, you can find the statement on FaceBook by searching for "VBSchools"--it is displayed quite prominently at the top of their page.

Like just about everything else that involves two opposing stories, the truth probably lies somewhere in between. I suspect the school is trying to save face in the midst of the ****storm, and the family of the kid involved is trying to make what he did sound perhaps more innocent than it was.

Whichever the case, this doesn't involve the school. They should keep their noses out of the neighborhood's business. Public Schools' incursion into students' family business is getting more ridiculous every day.

I like therealTrippleB's take on the whole thing.

[video=youtube;EKouzpw57jg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKouzpw57jg[/video]

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    This is the kind of thing that inevitably results from the mind-set that you can pro-actively prevent every accident and/or crime by use of law.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I can remember a time when I walked down a road with my star trek pistols that shot the flat disks, never had any problems.

I had one of those too! lol

I actually carried a BB gun around with me when I wasn't at school, and carried a knife to school from grade school on.
    My times have changed.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    This should trigger a civil lawsuit. The child's civil rights are being usurped.

I wonder where the ACLU is on this one?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Current Brownsburg policy:
    http://www.brownsburg.k12.in.us/Documents/General/13-14/2013 - 2014 BHS Handbook.pdf
    Page 13

And on page 14:

So, at least in Brownsburg, the OP's article on "shooting zombies with AirSoft" should amount to nothing at all. It was off-property, not illegal, and had nothing to do with a school function.

In addition, to continue discussing Brownsburg, this line marks the end of the policy book:
    The intent of this policy is not to infringe any person’s legal rights such as the freedom of expression, religion and

association. To the extent any portion of this policy would violate a legal right, that provision shall not be enforced.

That's a good line (for the citizens/for the natural rights) to be in there. I would hope that anyone in Brownsburg adversely affected by these rules would take the time to know that was there.

The best defense is not being there in the first place. WHY do people continue to keep their children enrolled in these schools? I'm fairly certain the parents who are dealing with this now said "But our school isn't like that." IT'S A GOVERNMENT SCHOOL. By definition it IS like that. You just haven't been on the receiving end of the **** yet. When will people realize that this is a trait of GOVERNMENT schools, not just "other" government schools?

No justification for any governmental entity, or anyone else for that matter, intruding in parental decisions. Not liking the way someone parents isn't grounds for butting in.

Why do people allow it? Simple answer to a complex problem, it's a paradigm. Just like "We potty train our children about 2 years old." and "We vaccinate against measles, mumps, and Rubella." and "We eat supper at 6PM", there is the paradigm that says, "When a child turns 5, they go to kindergarten. When they turn 6, they go to school." The disconnect happens at the word, "go". They don't have to GO anywhere; what, they learned nothing in those first 5 years? They had to wait to start learning until they turn five? We've discussed homeschooling ("we" on INGO as well as "we", you and I) and really, there's little if any reason not to do it. I was talking with a couple of co-workers this last weekend and a person they knew at another job had been hired by Indianapolis Fire, back when EMS was still part of the FD. (For those who don't know, that's a job some people would give certain body parts to have.)

She quit that job, giving up the salary, the "perks", the retirement, and maybe even her paramedic certification (*) to stay home and homeschool her child(ren).

That is an awful lot to give up, friends... but in her view, evidently, giving her children to the State for several hours a day is even more, and I can't say I disagree with that.

I don't have school-age children anymore, but I wish I'd known about all this when it was relevant. I can't say I'd have left my job, but I can say I'd have considered different options at the time.

If someone reading this has a child or children of or approaching an age to be enrolled in school, please consider your options. If you don't know what your options are, contact 88GT or someone else you know who uses some other option. They're your children, not the State's. Not only that, they're OUR future, so I think we all have a stake in expressing opinions, though it remains your purview as parent to decide to which opinion you will listen.

Blessings,
    Bill
    (*)I'm guessing, but if you're not employed as a medic, this state somehow believes you're not qualified to be one

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If someone reading this has a child or children of or approaching an age to be enrolled in school, please consider your options. If you don't know what your options are, contact 88GT or someone else you know who uses some other option. They're your children, not the State's. Not only that, they're OUR future, so I think we all have a stake in expressing opinions, though it remains your purview as parent to decide to which opinion you will listen.

I'll second that. She has been a fantastic resource for my family. We are already doing a hybrid homeschool through K12.com (they attend classes in classrooms two days a week and we do the rest online) and are pulling back to traditional homeschool within the next week or two as soon as our new curriculum materials arrive and we find a logical time to stop.

Top Bottom