• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    That’s kind of what they were talking about. Find the right gun that fits you and under stress, proper marksmanship comes more naturally. If that gun is a Glock for you, then that is what you will have the easiest time using when the stress is cranked to 11.

The Glock was not all I shot, so I struggled with the angle. My only remaining Glock has a grip adapter that makes it point more similar to other guns I own. The CZ, 1911 and Sigs feel right to me and when I practice drawing with a Sig, eyes closed, the sights are lined up when I open them.

Right.

What I'm talking about is how one should not cripple themselves from being able to effectively shoot the most popular pistol on the planet. The most likely one you will pick up off the ground or get loaned in a pinch. The one that the cops and thugs and trainers and EDCers are most likely to have on them.

You don't have to like it. It would be foolish not to know how to be proficient with it though.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I get that and agree that everyone should have some level of proficiency with a Glock (except CM, Glocks don’t like the mouse). That’s the main reason I kept one when I sold the rest off. But, it’s important to train with what you carry most.

I don’t know that a Glock will always be the loaner gun. The circle I hang in is more likely to loan a CZ than a Glock. A P07 or P09 is most likely what a buddy would get in that situation with me. Maybe a 1911 if he’s a close buddy and that’s what he runs.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I think that a good shooter with a pistol is a good shooter with a pistol, regardless of whether it's the sharply raked angle of a Steyr or a DWM Luger, the 2x4 ergonomics and slightly less raked angle of a Glock, or the more or less 18° grip angle of the 1911 and several other popular pistols. But I do think that some pistols are easier to shoot well than others for most people.

I prefer striker fired pistols for carry and home defense, and my favorite platform by far is the Smith & Wesson M&P. In fact, after wasting years and money chasing something, anything other than a stupid Glock (:):), I found that the M&P 2.0 is the one that I can shoot ridiculously well without even trying. It points so naturally and handles recoil so well that it's almost like I have cheat code at the range.

I carried a Glock for years, despite never really caring for them much and having multiple brief affairs with several other makes and models. Mostly because that's what I carried and trained with at work. But I now have replaced almost every striker fired pistol that I have owned (and I've owned almost all of them at one point or another) with some variant of the M&P in 2.0 trim. The only exceptions are a Sig P365, which I just can't let go because it's just a neat little thing, and 2 remaining full size Glock 9mm Gen 5s who live in the safe in a "break glass in case of war" capacity.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Exactly why I have reservations about another Glock, that damn grip angle. No matter how many times I've shot them and the numerous ones I've owned it's never pointed naturally no matter how much I've tried. Draw, point, always off. I like the P320, but I wonder about all the lawsuits.
    Everyone's different and one's own personal experience is often a factor in their platform choice(s).
    I prefer a Glock as I -like the grip angle...but I grew up on SA revolvers with the plow-share grip angle, so I'm used to the more 'aggressive' grip angle. When I pick up other pistols (Ruger P-Series, Sig Sauer, 1911's, etc.), and point them 'naturally' the nose is always pointed at a downward-angle, and I have to slow down and refocus (reset) everything to shoot them straight! I don't mind shooting them, and I love 1911's, but they don't all feel 'natural' to me! The only thing I've found that comes close is a Beretta 92... and that's a fairly big pistol, nowadays, at least for EDC.
    No one pistol is right for everyone, as each person is different, and respecting those differences, matters!

Last edited:

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I’ve never understood the hate on the grip angle but I’ve been forced to shoot a Glock ever since I got into shooting so I guess it’s just natural at this point.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think that a good shooter with a pistol is a good shooter with a pistol, regardless of whether it's the sharply raked angle of a Steyr or a DWM Luger, the 2x4 ergonomics and slightly less raked angle of a Glock, or the more or less 18° grip angle of the 1911 and several other popular pistols. But I do think that some pistols are easier to shoot well than others for most people.

I prefer striker fired pistols for carry and home defense, and my favorite platform by far is the Smith & Wesson M&P. In fact, after wasting years and money chasing something, anything other than a stupid Glock (:):), I found that the M&P 2.0 is the one that I can shoot ridiculously well without even trying. It points so naturally and handles recoil so well that it's almost like I have cheat code at the range.

I carried a Glock for years, despite never really caring for them much and having multiple brief affairs with several other makes and models. Mostly because that's what I carried and trained with at work. But I now have replaced almost every striker fired pistol that I have owned (and I've owned almost all of them at one point or another) with some variant of the M&P in 2.0 trim. The only exceptions are a Sig P365, which I just can't let go because it's just a neat little thing, and 2 remaining full size Glock 9mm Gen 5s who live in the safe in a "break glass in case of war" capacity.

The classic Sigs were like that for me. Over the years, I had tried a lot of different stuff and intentionally avoided the Sigs because of the bore axis myth. CZ was my favorite flavor with Glocks figuring heavily for carry. I’d actually owned a Sig P6 years ago but dismissed it since it was a single stack.

When I started shooting the classic Sigs in either P229 or P226 form, they just clicked with me and I’ve moved over to almost pure P229 carry now days. They are the ‘Easy Button’ of handguns for me right now. The closest thing to Sigs for me was the P10C. I still own one and shoot it well but have moved away from striker fired guns.

sixGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 24, 2020
    Grabill
    So, what is the proficiency level one must obtain with a Glock in order to carry a (insert alternative handgun here)? If you have even the remotest interest in firearms you already know how a magazine fed semi-automatic pistol already works. I don't see the relevancy. Should I drive my neighbors Toyota because I don't own one despite already knowing how to drive?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I think the idea is to just be familiar with what you might need to run. You do make a point though in that the Glock does not come with a complex manual of arms. It’s the point and shoot camera of the gun world.

The conundrum with Glocks for me was that if I put time into getting better with Glocks, I found that I had issues with guns that pointed naturally. If all I ran were Glocks, it wouldn’t be an issue but I had other stuff so to carry a Glock, I ran the grip force adapter to get it to point like other guns a bit more. It helped but in the end, it was just easier to leave the non-adapted Glock world behind.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Right.

What I'm talking about is how one should not cripple themselves from being able to effectively shoot the most popular pistol on the planet. The most likely one you will pick up off the ground or get loaned in a pinch. The one that the cops and thugs and trainers and EDCers are most likely to have on them.

You don't have to like it. It would be foolish not to know how to be proficient with it though.
    It ain't that deep. Old folks with 38 Specials that have been laying in a drawer for years have probably successfully defended themselves from more bad guys than tacticool operators who are "crippled" by a slighty different grip angle and trigger. For anyone familiar with defensive carry, operating any semiauto pistol is not exactly rocket surgery.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I agree that it ain’t that deep. But nobody has said that they are ‘crippled’ by the odd grip angle of the Glock. The video above is largely about point shooting, so this discussion was about how naturally a gun points for someone.

When Glock designed their guns, they sought the lowest bore axis possible and the cost of that was having to rotate the grip a few degrees to get the trigger finger to align with the trigger. The grip angle is a compromise that allowed Glock designers to lower the bore axis more than others were able to do.

The downside of that compromise is that when point shooting, a shooter that tends to shoot other guns often will hit high but realistically, nobody should be point shooting outside of 10 yards so the difference is negligible.

Shooting a Glock for non-Glock owners can help make them aware of that issue. Other than that, there’s nothing magical about shooting a Glock that requires in depth training for non-Glock owners.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I agree that it ain’t that deep. But nobody has said that they are ‘crippled’ by the odd grip angle of the Glock. The video above is largely about point shooting, so this discussion was about how naturally a gun points for someone.

When Glock designed their guns, they sought the lowest bore axis possible and the cost of that was having to rotate the grip a few degrees to get the trigger finger to align with the trigger. The grip angle is a compromise that allowed Glock designers to lower the bore axis more than others were able to do.

The downside of that compromise is that when point shooting, a shooter that tends to shoot other guns often will hit high but realistically, nobody should be point shooting outside of 10 yards so the difference is negligible.

Shooting a Glock for non-Glock owners can help make them aware of that issue. Other than that, there’s nothing magical about shooting a Glock that requires in depth training for non-Glock owners.
    The problem comes in for me and a lot of other people who shoot and dry fire a lot is index. If you own just Glock you are good to go, if you have Glocks and other more "normal" pointing guns, you can run into an issue real quick, especially using MRDS. Of course this is when trying to eke out maximum efficiency and proficiency. Most people will never notice.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    But nobody has said that they are ‘crippled’ by the odd grip angle of the Glock.
    Ahem. :)
    What I'm talking about is how one should not cripple themselves from being able to effectively shoot the most popular pistol on the planet.
    Not sure if I should get me a handicap placard now, since I don't regularly shoot Glocks anymore.

:):

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Glocks are good pistols. The don't point as naturally for some as they do for others and the trigger might not be the best out there but the generally go bang when shot.
    Depends on one's experience and any muscle memory that's been developed over the years.
    I grew up on revolvers, including SA revolvers, and I don't mind the Glock grip angle at all, in fact, I prefer it over traditional pistols for a 'natural' point-of-aim!
    I shoot Glocks better than many other pistols, with the exception of a Beretta, which is a match for me with Glocks, and 1911's, which I slow-fire with anyhow, for the improved accuracy...but probably wouldn't naturally select a 1911 for use as an everyday carry pistol! The Beretta grip angle puts me close to comfortable.

breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    People overthink this. I'm free to say that, as I once did the same.

Run what you'd like.

If you're spending more time buying and selling than shooting, training and practicing in meaningful ways, then you're doing it wrong anyways.

Top Bottom