• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    First of the question from the OP was what to take not should I take.

Ever read anything on Katrina?

Has a cop ever shot someone, and a riot ensued?

If you have an MSG your weapon may not be for your use. It may be handed off to others in need, moving through.

1) There was plenty of advanced notice for hurricane katrina, everyone knew it was coming and had the opportunity to AVOID it.
    2) Cop shooting riots are how big? a couple city blocks? they can also be AVOIDED, and a handgun should be plenty of defense against angry homeys with rocks.

I arrived in the Moore,OK area just as the tornado hit in 2013. Our family was meeting down there to do some hog hunting. It was the biggest, baddest natural disaster I had ever been around. Guess what....I didn't see any looting, raping or killing and not one person was toting an AR around after that tornado went thru.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    1) There was plenty of advanced notice for hurricane katrina, everyone knew it was coming and had the opportunity to AVOID it.
    2) Cop shooting riots are how big? a couple city blocks? they can also be AVOIDED, and a handgun should be plenty of defense against angry homeys with rocks.

I arrived in the Moore,OK area just as the tornado hit in 2013. Our family was meeting down there to do some hog hunting. It was the biggest, baddest natural disaster I had ever been around. Guess what....I didn't see any looting, raping or killing and not one person was toting an AR around after that tornado went thru.

1. Fort wayne demographics are a FAR FAR cry from moore OK
    2. I don't know about you, but everything I have seen says thugs weapons of choice are NOT rocks, they are guns, and I would prefer to have a larger one.
    3. The op stated SEVERAL reasons he would like to carry a long gun, natural disasters are just one, many of the others would require much more than a handgun and avoidance of isolated dangerous areas.
    4. I have been to Katrina, and even with advanced notice, there were still lots and lots of armed evil people about. who is to say the next time there will be enough warning to avoid it?

You sir are an optimist and it sounds like you prepare accordingly. nothing wrong with that. However the OP wants to prepare as a pessimist and there is nothing wrong with that. However this thread is about preparing as a pessimist so it would be helpful for the responses to be worded accordingly.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    The LEO in my crew have been saying for a while that they are seeing more AK's with two 30rnd mags taped together carried by bangers.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I would just like your guys' input on what you would do in my situation and what you do if you have a similar situation. Also, communication would likely be down if a major situation like those happened. How are you prepared to alert your family of your status if you could not get through on a cell phone? My routes are pre-planned, so should I think about a pick up location if that was a viable option? I do not want my family out anywhere but the house, but also would feel responsible if anything should happen that I did not make it back quick enough.

Have a comm tree in place, cell, text, ham radio, predesignated meeting place, etc.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Im also in the camp of "take it ONLY if you can hide it". If the SHTF your primary goal is getting home. Blending in and not attracting attention is a good step in getting there without hassle. A battle rifle WILL attract attention. What if one of the options is military evacuation trucks/busses? Think they are going to let you on carrying an AR? You MIGHT get to keep your pack with your pistol and ammo as long as they dont know its in there.

Taking it down and storing it in the pack is an idea, but personally I would prefer a discrete bag that would allow me to keep it at the ready so I had to do absolutely no more than slam in a mag and pull the charging handle.

Personally, I'd load out a couple more mags (or even a box or two of ammo) over a rifle. YMMV

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    ill add my two cents about it to get the thread back on track... I would vote the shotgun. Its easier and cheaper to replace should something happen to it, and has some better knockdown.... anything out of shotgun range could probably be avoided, and in a situation where the threat would be close enough NOT to be avoided, a 12g will hurt more. the intimidation of a long gun being present will be better than just a handgun, and there isn't much difference in intimidation between an ar and a shotgun. I also think 12g would be easier to find.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    You could also SBR your glock, and carry a butstock and forward grip for it.... some 33 round mags and you can put some serious firepower down range really fast and effectively.

Or carry a conversion kit for the same weapon with an optic already mounted.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    The LEO in my crew have been saying for a while that they are seeing more AK's with two 30rnd mags taped together carried by bangers.

Probably stolen from the dudes that think they should keep them in their trucks.

To each their own... I own rifles even if you think that I don't.
    Taking the battle gear with you when you go out of town for the day doesn't make any sense AT THIS POINT IN TIME and seems TO ME that it's just asking for problems.

This isn't the Ukraine or Juarez... yet.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You should avoid Terre Haute just on general principle, regardless of apocalyptic status.

law enforcement away from the attack sites will NOT be very tolerant of a man with a carbine across his chest.
    And yet, in Indiana, we have IC 10-14-3-33.5, which specificly removes any authority to specially regulate firearms in emergency situations. In the case of a SHTF scenario, I would be viewing any organized group of uniformed, armed men to be equivalent of any other organized group of armed men and avoid them at all costs.

Justus mentioned not seeing a single AR strapped across anyone's chest in the aftermath of the Moore, OK tornado. Remind me again how widespread the TORNADO's damage was? How many states were affected? How many square miles? In a proper SHTF scenario, the WROL condition will be widespread. (And I don't consider military and SWAT units tear-assing around looking for people with guns to attack to be law enforcement.) In Moore, people knew that it was just localized and that they would be able to get help from outside the area quickly and recover to normalcy quickly. If Moore was a generalized calamity, consuming OK, north TX, NE, AR, MO, and UT, you bet your sweet bippy that the good ole boys in OK would have their rifles readily to hand. And for that matter, who says they weren't for that piddly little tornado? I believe this image came out of the Moore tornado:

loot_we_shoot.jpg

But, even if it didn't, and it came out of some other disaster where the armed populace had to defend its own, the sentiment is the same. Just because you don't see the guns doesn't mean they aren't there.

And I guess, that's really what a lot of people in this thread are saying. Have the guns. Keep them out of sight until it's time to go loud.Mo

More like images:
    you-loot-we-shoot.jpg

YouLootWeShoot.jpg

141013loot.jpg

151152537-8-jpg_201249.jpg

2906407948_8191b41d5e_z.jpg

Last edited:

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    OK, what threat do you realistically see in which things were normal when left for work in the morning but the country would be in total chaos before you can get in your vehicle and drive 150 miles home?

Please don't say EMP.

E.M.P.!!! Solar flare( same result as emp), train derailment with a chemical spill that closes local thoroughfares or highways, Terrorist cell decides to attack in whatever fashion. The world is a dangerous place. Not too many reasons I can think of NOT to have a rifle if I could do it.
    Ok to use your rationale. What threat do you see where not having a rifle would be better in any way?
    Again I say have you ever heard of a rifle toting self defense shooter that after the bullets flew he wished he'd had a pistol instead?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    CathyInBlue said:
    And yet, in Indiana, we have IC 10-14-3-33.5, which specificly removes any authority to specially regulate firearms in emergency situations.

In the sudden onset, country-wide TEOTWAWKI some here seem to be envisioning...do you really think any functioning law enforcement is going to abide by a statute that says they can't regulate firearms, if they perceive some dude walking around with a slung-up carbine to be a threat to them? After all...

I would be viewing any organized group of uniformed, armed men to be equivalent of any other organized group of armed men and avoid them at all costs.

On this point:

And I guess, that's really what a lot of people in this thread are saying. Have the guns. Keep them out of sight until it's time to go loud.

I'm in 10000% agreement. The key, as I see it, is maintaining a LOW PROFILE, which means not drawing attention, which means concealment of any and all weapons - because carrying a long gun for everybody to see makes you a target regardless if its a natural disaster like an earthquake or tornado, or a full-on Red Dawn-type scenario. There's no doubt I'd prefer a carbine to a handgun if I had to fight my way out of a situation...but really, what's the probability one is going to face such a situation in this most extreme of hypotheticals? As such, a rifle has much greater downside risk than the upside it presents, relative to a concealed handgun....IN MY OPINION.

YMMV, caveat emptor, etc...simply the view of a dude that travels to make a living.

Also, it would seem a few folks here have watched a few too many Chris Costa videos on Youtube and spend more time thinking about fighting in a survival situation instead of, I dunno, surviving?

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    but really, what's the probability one is going to face such a situation in this most extreme of hypotheticals?

Taking into account the failures / miscalculations of obummer / congress , failing to secure the borders , the Ferguson shooting , letting Ebola into the country , the probability that ISIS / some other group is already here and knowing that fewer than 20 guys could bring Indpls . to a grinding halt in less than 24 hours , I'd say the probability goes up everyday .

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    In the sudden onset, country-wide TEOTWAWKI some here seem to be envisioning...do you really think any functioning law enforcement is going to abide by a statute that says they can't regulate firearms,
    In my experience, the police can't abide by statutes (and court decisions) limitting their power to regulate firearms in routine circumstances. I don't care if it's an all hands on deck emergency to get a kitten out of a tree, if I'm bugging out and see a police vehicle, I'm routing around it, `cause those people are going to be spoiling for a fight with anyone nearly as capable in the extant emergency situation as they are.

The point I was trying to make on the law was that regardless of the size of the force of uniformed armed men in your path, if they engage you with an eye toward your disarmament, though prior to such engagement, you may have suspected that you were in a WROL situation. By such engagement, due to IC 10-14-3-33.5, you will know conclusively you are in a WROL situation, because these armed men, though ostensibly law enforcers themselves, will be acting as lawlessly as any bandits or marauders, and should be dealt with in like manner, avoidance if possible. If unavoidable…

Last edited:

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    The drunks with guns have it! One or two people trying to defend against anything more than uncalculated punks are going to loose. The key IMHO is an organized group (neighbors, friends, what have you) who have a plan to survive and get back some kind of normal exsistance. Advertising your intentions with signs or sitting on your front porch with a shotgun tells everyone else about the permeability of your defenses.

Roosevelt gave good advise. "Speak softly and carry a big stick."

Top Bottom