• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I don't think a full sized rifle is the right tool for a GHB.

I think ARs and MBRs are tools for defending fixed positions, and for patrol situation AFTER everything has gone to heck.

When you are still in the thick of things, and your trying to get home as soon as possible, I think you need something closer to the PDW concept. Yes you may need something that has a good deal of firepower, but you also may still need to blend in. You don't want to be targeted at you rmost vulnerable because your the only one running around with an AR, plate carrier, and LBV.

What you need in my opinion is something that holds 10 - 20 rounds in a detachable mag, is semi-atuto, can reach out to 100 yards accurately, but can still be hidden under a coat or under a car seat. One of the Optic ready full size service pistols (M&P Pro / FNP Tactical) would fit the bill on the small end, or something like and AR pistol with a small red dot on the large end. A Sub 2000 may also fit the bill.

That way you can bring firepower to bear without sticking out like a sore thumb the other 99% of the time.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    easyriderred.jpg

If you're worried about drawing attention with a long gun, keep the cover from a folded up camp chair in the trunk.

A shotgun would slip inside pretty easily and you could carry it slung over your shoulder without being completely exposed.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    yes, but a rifle or shotgun inside a bag is hardly useable when you need it.

A five inch .357Sig with an MRDS can be worn on a belt, concealed under a light coat, drawn at a moments notice, and arive at 100 yards with some authority intact. A 7" AR pistol canbe hidden under a car seat, in a small backpack, or under a heavy coat in the winter, mount a real optic, and make accurate hits out to a significant distance.

Why would I hamstring myself with a shotgun in a duffle bag, or a dissasembled AR15?

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    The OP stated he would be on daily sales calls on company-provided route that would take him a maximum of 150 miles from home.
    This is mileage that would be driven in a normal shift and he would be home that evening or afternoon.

I keep trying to stress that there is no realistic threat in the US that would bring things to total, unavoidable violent chaos in the span of less than 8-10 hrs.
    To think otherwise is either extreme paranoia or wishful fantasy.

Katrina keeps being brought up as an example.... it's a poor example of the OPs possible situation. There was how many days notice that a hurricane was going to to hit the gulf states? Do you think that a salesman would be required to enter an area that has had that much notice and an voluntary evacuation order?

Ferguson is brought up as an example....really? Do you know how small of an area that those riots were in? The rest of that town was still hanging out at the malls and going on with daily life during those riots.

I brought up Moore OK because a tornado and earthquake would be two good examples of realistic surprise disasters that could strand someone away from home or at the very least cause them to reroute the drive home. Neither of which produced warlords or militias immediately afterward that I can recall.

Situational awareness is the key to the OPs question.
    If things get spooky while I'm out of town for the day you can bet that I will head back home early that day. If things have gone awry overnight BEFORE I leave for that area in the morning I will request another route or I will refuse to go to work. Carry the handgun but why in the world would you take an AR and chest rig full of ammo? The handgun is good enough everywhere else, otherwise we'd be seeing long guns strapped to peoples backs all over town.

There are too many reasons not to at this point in time. 1) The OP is out on the road representing his employer. 2) Not all LEOs are survivalists. 3) Cars get broken into. 4) There's no sign of any unavoidable trouble that could ignite into uncontrollable violence in less than a day. If there is, please enlighten me.

As far as an EMP or solar flare... I find it ironic that no one believes what comes out of a politician's mouth until one of them says something about an EMP attack or world-ending solar flare.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I agree with most of that.

Thats why I'm suggesting things that can be easily concealed and carried on person instead of a shotgun or an AR that gets left in the car.

An AR pistol is a high bower, yes, but its still a good deal more practical in this situation than a full blown AR or a pump shotgun IF you were intending to prepare for an extreeme scenario.

OP is already taking a GHB along with him. It makes sense to use something that could fit inside that bag instead of adding another bag with a long gun in it.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    OK, what threat do you realistically see in which things were normal when left for work in the morning but the country would be in total chaos before you can get in your vehicle and drive 150 miles home?

Please don't say EMP.

Realistically?

55b482201b318495f16d4f46dcb054e3.jpg

Is that realistic enough?

How many people needed their GHBs that day? How many of them were wishing they had their rifle, and praying they wouldn't need it because they didn't have it?

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    The OP stated he would be on daily sales calls on company-provided route that would take him a maximum of 150 miles from home.
    This is mileage that would be driven in a normal shift and he would be home that evening or afternoon.
    I have no idea what the OP does for his job, but sales is a pretty general term. Just to factor in he may not be someone who is away from his vehicle all that much during the work day. That may mitigate the car break-in threat.

ill add my two cents about it to get the thread back on track... I would vote the shotgun. Its easier and cheaper to replace should something happen to it, and has some better knockdown.... anything out of shotgun range could probably be avoided, and in a situation where the threat would be close enough NOT to be avoided, a 12g will hurt more. the intimidation of a long gun being present will be better than just a handgun, and there isn't much difference in intimidation between an ar and a shotgun. I also think 12g would be easier to find.
    I was in the rifle camp until this post got me thinking.
    If its turns into a battle scenario, I'm optimistic about your chances being able to find another gun if need be but for any other case, a shotgun represents a capable and diverse weapon with a relatively low price tag. I don't want to prepare to get it stolen, but things happen; confiscation by resolving authorities, voluntary abandonment in favor of transport, theft, injuries prohibiting a two handed weapon, etc.

You could also SBR your glock, and carry a butstock and forward grip for it.... some 33 round mags and you can put some serious firepower down range really fast and effectively.

Or carry a conversion kit for the same weapon with an optic already mounted.
    This sounds awesome, but like a headache every day that isn't The Day, ha.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Realistically?

How many people needed their GHBs that day? How many of them were wishing they had their rifle, and praying they wouldn't need it because they didn't have it?

EXACTLY.... never say never. There is a reason we have so many compartments on our fire engines. Most of the tools don't get used even once a year, but they are there should we need them.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    Realistically?

Really...
    How many people needed an AR and a chest rig that day?

Oh ya, that's right there were stories of skirmishes in every street in every town.
    I almost didn't get home that day for all the road blocks between work and home.

I'm done with this, you people are giving this kid bad advice.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Really...
    How many people needed an AR and a chest rig that day?

Oh ya, that's right there were stories of skirmishes in every street in every town.
    I almost didn't get home that day for all the road blocks between work and home.

I'm done with this, you people are giving this kid bad advice. IMHO

fixed it for ya

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    :dunno: Why would one have a vehicle without a rifle in it?
    When you need a rifle, you REALLY need a rifle. A handgun won't do, when you need a rifle.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    When have any of you ever needed a rife in civilian life?

What good would a rifle have done for anyone in the towers on 9/11?

We civilians have ARs for ONE resson, and that is a deterrent to a .gov gone mad - not so we can play rambo durring a tornado or flood.

Please do try to put practicality ahead of your fantasies.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

We civilians have ARs for ONE resson, and that is a deterrent to a .gov gone mad - not so we can play rambo durring a tornado or flood.

Not to throw too much water on your statement...but I've needed my rifle a number of times, be it hunting, target shooting, competing etc. I think what you meant to say was how many have needed it during a public crisis or natural disaster situation. I would imagine very few of us here, but maybe a few more in areas that have been hit hard by hurricanes or other natural disasters in densely populated regions.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

I did say rifle, before, however, my focus was on long guns in general. The point is unchanged.

Would a long gun have helped someone in the towers on 9/11? No. Would it have helped one of the thousands, even millions of people who were not in the towers, trying to get home when the SHTF that day? Without question.

Further, my AR is a dedicated .22LR. I don't think that's going to do much good as a deterrent to the .gov. It may someday provide food, and it may be used someday to teach someone how to shoot, but your point is correct that it's not for "playing Rambo". I don't have any guns that are for that purpose, but I do have some that will help me get home if I need them for that.

I think that's practical. Would you disagree?

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Wow... yes, i thought it was obvious the discussion was not about hunting, because this discussion is about GHBs, not squirrels.

Others - Please explain to me how you plan to prevent Columbine and the Boston bombing with a rifle that gets left in your car?

When the bomb blows up, are you going to run back to your car, retrieve the rifle, and start shooting? Are you going to start detaining people that look suspicious to you? Both great ways to get yourself shot or arrested by the real police.

When someone else starts shooting inside the school, are you going to run out to your car and get your rifle, then run back into the school and start shooting? Sounds like a great way to get mistaken for the shooter.

If it's not already on you, it's not going to help you. You have real life things to do in the meantime, so it had to be concealed.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom