Tavor SAR vs. X95--Which Is Better & Why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    12 more quality posts until getting access to private messages and the classifieds. Runs to 50 via one-liners are dealt with...

:mods:

Oh I see.

Why would I be interested in the lame classifieds here? I perused them a couple times and there is very little traffic or anything good for sale for that matter. I am not interested in buying overpriced 22lr, PSA kit builds or tapco pimped SKSs. I also have nothing for sale for that matter and if I did I would not bother listing it here.

I joined this site to learn about Indiana gunshops, gunshows, gunsmiths, gun laws, gun ranges, etc. I mostly read and chime in a little bit here and there. I could care less about the "priviledge" of using the classifieds here or what the resident hall monitors think of my intentions.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Oh I see.

Why would I be interested in the lame classifieds here? I perused them a couple times and there is very little traffic or anything good for sale for that matter. I am not interested in buying overpriced 22lr, PSA kit builds or tapco pimped SKSs. I also have nothing for sale for that matter and if I did I would not bother listing it here.

I joined this site to learn about Indiana gunshops, gunshows, gunsmiths, gun laws, gun ranges, etc. I mostly read and chime in a little bit here and there. I could care less about the "priviledge" of using the classifieds here or what the resident hall monitors think of my intentions.

Now that we have that out of the way, do you have anything to add to the discussion about the Tavor SAR vs the X95? Do you have experience with or own either one?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I have both the SAR and X95. I like both quite a bit. It's going to be hard for me to recommend one over the other. I suppose part of it depends on how much and where you plan to mount on the front of it and what you are willing to spend to upgrade the front end of the SAR. You can go all out on a new handguard like from Manticore or just get a smaller rail for the bottom for under $30 from Homeland Guns....

Below the two Tavors on the Right are mine, the FDE is the SAR with a Manticore rail and optional internal light (love that setup) and my X95 that I haven't done a single improvement to. As others have mentioned if you are a trigger snob you'll want to upgrade your SAR trigger to a Super Sabra, it makes a night and day difference. I haven't felt the *need* to improve the trigger on the X95.
    The choice isn't an easy one.
    15129663_813625305443494_1834058811280899042_o.jpg
    Which flashlight is that? I have a TLR-1 mounted to the side of the aftermarket forend on mine but I like the idea of the internally-mounted light.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Which flashlight is that? I have a TLR-1 mounted to the side of the aftermarket forend on mine but I like the idea of the internally-mounted light.

That's a great question. The short answer is I don't know unfortunately. I got the "fully loaded kit" from Manticore about 3 years ago and it included a single cr123 300 lumen light. It's an "off brand" but this thing is a tank. It's been on my SAR for 3 years and had who knows how many rounds fired with it in place... somewhere between 1,500 and 2,500. It's been bumped around, dropped, you name it. Front screws off to replace the battery so you never have to unmount it or the rail. Pressure switch is contained inside.

This setup works "with any 1" diameter light" according to Manticore website I just checked. I didn't see the light or option for the included light on their website, just the attachment options. It's very handy and a great "grab and go" when I have to check on the animals in the middle of the night. Works much better than the inforce WML I have on the X95 both in terms of usability and the quality of the light and beam itself is much better than the inforce. I'd buy more of these if I could figure out who made them. I'll have to ask Sven next time I see him.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    That's a great question. The short answer is I don't know unfortunately. I got the "fully loaded kit" from Manticore about 3 years ago and it included a single cr123 300 lumen light. It's an "off brand" but this thing is a tank. It's been on my SAR for 3 years and had who knows how many rounds fired with it in place... somewhere between 1,500 and 2,500. It's been bumped around, dropped, you name it. Front screws off to replace the battery so you never have to unmount it or the rail. Pressure switch is contained inside.

This setup works "with any 1" diameter light" according to Manticore website I just checked. I didn't see the light or option for the included light on their website, just the attachment options. It's very handy and a great "grab and go" when I have to check on the animals in the middle of the night. Works much better than the inforce WML I have on the X95 both in terms of usability and the quality of the light and beam itself is much better than the inforce. I'd buy more of these if I could figure out who made them. I'll have to ask Sven next time I see him.

Frank - there are some additional internal light options here from Gear Head Works

I have a Midwest Industries handguard on my Tavor with a SureFire Scount light. I liked the idea of having the entire light contained inside the handguard although it does make battery changes a bit more difficult.

X_Outside_1_zpsnqu1ktr4.jpg

X_Light_On_1_zpsfp8ansgh.jpg

Thanks to you both for the info. I'll do some research and the options and see how much $ I need to save up if I want to go that route.

deadsquirrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Carmel
    Although I have no experience with the SAR, I love my X95! Near perfect for close range badassery. Added a weapon light and a meprolight rds to mine and wouldn't have anything else. Called IWI for another rail cover to grind and to fill in the empty rail space after installing the light

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    My Tavor had an aftermarket forend on it when I bought it from another Ingo member, and looking at it again it is the Midwest Industries like Yamadog's. It has the closed front on it so I just need the piece with the hole for the light and the light itself. I might even be able to use my TLR-1 with a remote pressure switch if it fits under the handguard.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I prefer the SAR. I think the layout of the controls are more intuitive than the X95, and believe that not every firearm is best served by mimicking an AR. Plus the reports of poor accuracy are concerning.

I've had 2 SARs now, and the last was pretty pimped. I set it up for NV use (Meprolight MOR M&P and X300V), and added a Geisselle Super Sabra trigger. I really miss it, and feel the need for another coming on.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I disagree with that. The X95 has the mag release in a very natural place to press it. The charging handle is closer to work. The grip is now interchangeable and that means more aftermarket parts to fit the shooter. Because the charging handle is closer, it gives more space for places on the left side for stuff like a light instead of getting a whole different handguard aftermarket. And of course, a better stock trigger

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Having never fired either, I would have to actually shoot both to see which one shoots, reloads, and just plain feels the best to me...what feels great to someone else may well feel uncomfortable to me and visa versa. I've found multiple different opinions about the x95 being less accurate and just as accurate as the SAR. I have to wonder if maybe it might have as much to do with the individual gun-shooter-ammo combination as anything else.

I did experience that with my Marlin 1895--it would do reasonably good at 50 yards...~3" groups...until it launched a flier out 6+ inches away from the group--at least one in every bunch of 10 shots. Tried several different high end, lower end factory brands/weights until I found that my barrel really likes Winchester 240gr whitebox stuff...no more fliers, and the groups shrank too. Now it's almost as good at 100 yds as it used to be at 50, but much more consistent.

Honestly, I'd truly love to see the x95 with an 18" barrel--that's the one thing it seems folks tend to agree on, that the extra barrel length seems to help.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I'm a bit late to this thread but...
    Eric, I have a SAR that has some customizations. I have both the stock trigger pack and the Super Sabra/Lightning Bow combination.
    I am willing to meet if you want to try it.
    IMAG1852e.jpg

Last edited:

KrisMT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2013
    Vincennes
    Frank - there are some additional internal light options here from Gear Head Works

I have a Midwest Industries handguard on my Tavor with a SureFire Scount light. I liked the idea of having the entire light contained inside the handguard although it does make battery changes a bit more difficult.

X_Outside_1_zpsnqu1ktr4.jpg

X_Light_On_1_zpsfp8ansgh.jpg

:rockwoot: I have been drooling over a SAR forever and this is almost exactly how I envisioned my end result, except mine vision has a can on it. Beautiful rifle :ar15:

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    As I sit here watching Green Bay beat up on Dallas (still 1st quarter, so we'll see how it ends, not just begins), I realize it's Sunday... And tomorrow is a Monday I have off. Anybody up for a range trip? Be happy to meet pretty much anywhere that's convenient to you.

Been doing more and more YouTube research... Starting to look like the majority opinion is that the X95 is generally less accurate than the SAR. Looks like some of that is ammo choice, but ammo alone won't account for the extra size of the groups at 100 yards. Now I have to wonder if there's anything that will make that accuracy gap shrink for the 95?

Still, if the X95 is substantially better to shoot than the original, I'd entertain plans of buying it instead--I just don't see having the $$ to get both and use one for shorter and one for longer ranges.

courier6

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 26, 2016
    Indiana
    As I sit here watching Green Bay beat up on Dallas (still 1st quarter, so we'll see how it ends, not just begins), I realize it's Sunday... And tomorrow is a Monday I have off. Anybody up for a range trip? Be happy to meet pretty much anywhere that's convenient to you.

Been doing more and more YouTube research... Starting to look like the majority opinion is that the X95 is generally less accurate than the SAR. Looks like some of that is ammo choice, but ammo alone won't account for the extra size of the groups at 100 yards. Now I have to wonder if there's anything that will make that accuracy gap shrink for the 95?

Still, if the X95 is substantially better to shoot than the original, I'd entertain plans of buying it instead--I just don't see having the $$ to get both and use one for shorter and one for longer ranges.

Do you want a tavor specifically or a bullpup?

Top Bottom