Tavor SAR vs. X95--Which Is Better & Why?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    How do you like the Lightning Bow? I have a Geissele trigger pack for mine but still have the stock trigger

Keep in mind that I have it straight out of the box with no adjustments, but I like it a lot.
    Seems to have eliminated most all of the slack/take up. Reset seems shorter as well.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    As I sit here watching Green Bay beat up on Dallas (still 1st quarter, so we'll see how it ends, not just begins), I realize it's Sunday... And tomorrow is a Monday I have off. Anybody up for a range trip? Be happy to meet pretty much anywhere that's convenient to you.

Been doing more and more YouTube research... Starting to look like the majority opinion is that the X95 is generally less accurate than the SAR. Looks like some of that is ammo choice, but ammo alone won't account for the extra size of the groups at 100 yards. Now I have to wonder if there's anything that will make that accuracy gap shrink for the 95?

Still, if the X95 is substantially better to shoot than the original, I'd entertain plans of buying it instead--I just don't see having the $$ to get both and use one for shorter and one for longer ranges.

If you pick a range I can meet you tomorrow sometime after 1pm. I work late shift tonight and need my beauty sleep.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I might be able to bring my X95 if this range trip happens before 5PM. If I can't make it, Frank please PM me and I'll make arrangements for you to come by my shop near 86th and Guion if you want to borrow it for the afternoon.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    If you pick a range I can meet you tomorrow sometime after 1pm. I work late shift tonight and need my beauty sleep.

I might be able to bring my X95 if this range trip happens before 5PM. If I can't make it, Frank please PM me and I'll make arrangements for you to come by my shop near 86th and Guion if you want to borrow it for the afternoon.

How about ~2pm then? Either of you know of a better range than Point Blank in Carmel as far as $$/location/length of range?

eric001

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    HUGE thanks to both Frank_N_Stein and cbhausen & tbhausen!! Got to shoot both the X95 and SAR back-to-back. From a huge sample size of 1 each, it's a pretty tough call as to which one will be better for me. They both shoot well, feel extremely comfortable to hold and shoot, and at least at short range they both were very accurate. The rifles are almost certainly more accurate than I am at this point, but at least I don't think I embarrassed myself too badly. Also shot my AK on the same trip, and the recoils felt fairly similar between the 3 rifles. The Tavor guns had much better triggers and were overall more fun to shoot than the AK, but that could have just been b/c I was so stoked to get to shoot them.

Getting to meet 3 fellow INGOers whose posts I've ran across for so long was icing on a very nice cake. Thanks again gentlemen for giving me such a great opportunity to learn first hand about what the Tavors are all about!

At this point, I'd say I'm 52% in favor of the SAR vs. 48% for the X95. VERY small differences in ergonomics make that tiny difference. Have to say though that I wouldn't turn down either one if there was a really good deal to be had. Still, it's going to be a while before She Who Shall Not Be Disobeyed gives me the green light on what is to us a pretty major expenditure...but I am now absolutely certain there will indeed be a Tavor in my future.

Awesome Day!! :rockwoot::rockwoot:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Always happy to meet other INGOers and hang out for awhile. I would have liked to stay awhile longer but my son getting sick at daycare took care of that. He seems much better now, though.

As for all this talk of X95 accuraccy (or lack thereof), I'm not worried. This rifle is for putting lead in meat (or on steel), not precision shooting. I could hang some magnification on it and drive myself crazy punching holes in paper and measuring group sizes or I could get out in the fresh air and ring steel with a red dot on top instead. Easy choice.

Next up for me is the 9mm kit (if I can ever find one) so I can take it to MCF&G and salivate like one of Pavlov's dogs every time the steel rings.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    HUGE thanks to both Frank_N_Stein and cbhausen & tbhausen!! Got to shoot both the X95 and SAR back-to-back. From a huge sample size of 1 each, it's a pretty tough call as to which one will be better for me. They both shoot well, feel extremely comfortable to hold and shoot, and at least at short range they both were very accurate. The rifles are almost certainly more accurate than I am at this point, but at least I don't think I embarrassed myself too badly. Also shot my AK on the same trip, and the recoils felt fairly similar between the 3 rifles. The Tavor guns had much better triggers and were overall more fun to shoot than the AK, but that could have just been b/c I was so stoked to get to shoot them.

Getting to meet 3 fellow INGOers whose posts I've ran across for so long was icing on a very nice cake. Thanks again gentlemen for giving me such a great opportunity to learn first hand about what the Tavors are all about!

At this point, I'd say I'm 52% in favor of the SAR vs. 48% for the X95. VERY small differences in ergonomics make that tiny difference. Have to say though that I wouldn't turn down either one if there was a really good deal to be had. Still, it's going to be a while before She Who Shall Not Be Disobeyed gives me the green light on what is to us a pretty major expenditure...but I am now absolutely certain there will indeed be a Tavor in my future.

Awesome Day!! :rockwoot::rockwoot:

I'm glad we were all able to get together. I'm always up for shooting. Hopefully we can do it again on a longer range and actually do some distance comparison with the Tavors and the AK. You can keep that .454 hand cannon though, my hand still hurts!

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Always happy to meet other INGOers and hang out for awhile. I would have liked to stay awhile longer but my son getting sick at daycare took care of that. He seems much better now, though.

As for all this talk of X95 accuraccy (or lack thereof), I'm not worried. This rifle is for putting lead in meat (or on steel), not precision shooting. I could hang some magnification on it and drive myself crazy punching holes in paper and measuring group sizes or I could get out in the fresh air and ring steel with a red dot on top instead. Easy choice.

Next up for me is the 9mm kit (if I can ever find one) so I can take it to MCF&G and salivate like one of Pavlov's dogs every time the steel rings.

I'm glad to hear your son is feeling better. Thats never a fun day when the little one is sick.

I'm with you on the accuracy thing. I like to have small groups on paper but my main goal is to put hits on target, whatever the target may be. Hopefully you get the 9mm conversion, that sounds like a good time. Too bad is so much $$$$.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm glad to hear your son is feeling better. Thats never a fun day when the little one is sick.

I'm with you on the accuracy thing. I like to have small groups on paper but my main goal is to put hits on target, whatever the target may be. Hopefully you get the 9mm conversion, that sounds like a good time. Too bad is so much $$$$.

Yeah, as impossible as they are to find I'm actually thinking about selling my 5.56 NATO X95 to buy a 9mm version (or trading for one). I know a lot of folks around here would poo-poo that but I'd get a lot more use out of it and have a lot of fun at a range ten minutes from my house. Unless we're in a WROL situation, it's hard to justify self-defense beyond what a pistol caliber carbine can hit anyway. If anyone sees it otherwise, please share your thoughts.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Yeah, as impossible as they are to find I'm actually thinking about selling my 5.56 NATO X95 to buy a 9mm version (or trading for one). I know a lot of folks around here would poo-poo that but I'd get a lot more use out of it and have a lot of fun at a range ten minutes from my house. Unless we're in a WROL situation, it's hard to justify self-defense beyond what a pistol caliber carbine can hit anyway. If anyone sees it otherwise, please share your thoughts.

I have no issue with your thinking. I've seen video of a Tavor being completely disassembled so as long as I could do the conversion myself and not have to pay someone I'd have both on hand and shoot whichever one fit my purpose.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Get the 9mm and a suppressor. You won't regret it.

eric001

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis

I'm really glad your son is doing better--I just hope it's not something that everyone else in the family catches and ends up suffering through as well. Nothing fun about inheriting and trading germs.

I'm with you on the steel ringing vs. group size obsession too. I'm happy to ring steel at 50 yards with pistols and 100 with rifles. Nice groups are a big deal to me with a gun I'm going hunting with, as I want to do my best to get a clean kill and stress the animal as little as possible. Past that, I'm just there to have fun launching lead at the range.

If I did put something other than a red dot onto a Tavor, it'd probably be more to see where I'm hitting than to go for the ultimate small group possible. My eyes aren't "bad" yet, but they're definitely not as good as they were when I was younger...and I foresee them getting worse with age. Yep, pun intended.

eric001

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'm glad we were all able to get together. I'm always up for shooting. Hopefully we can do it again on a longer range and actually do some distance comparison with the Tavors and the AK. You can keep that .454 hand cannon though, my hand still hurts!

I very much enjoyed the afternoon--though less of a time crunch and longer ranges would be ideal. I really need to dial in the zero on the AK at 50 or 100 to get back to the accuracy I used to have before I got stupid and broke the old red dot. I am hoping to have private land available next deer season so I could use the AK hunting--and I won't take it unless I'm sure to hit where I want to hit.

Granted, the .454 has a tad bit of recoil--I get tired of it after a box or two. But it's awfully fun to ring steel with. Even when I miss the steel, I figure the sound alone ought to scare it! I've got 3 different calibers in 6.5 in barrel revolvers if you'd ever want to try one of the others... They don't kick near as hard as that one.

Top Bottom