Tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly about wells, septic systems, water softeners, and water purifiers.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    If the pipe in ground was rusting bad, would I be getting heavy rust particles and sediment in the filter?

I'm getting none of that.
    You would get some, but most of the heavy particulates can fall down into the point. That's one of the reasons I asked about filter type, a string filter can help indicate how must rust is in the water.

Was that manifold and pex system in place the whole time? Did you have good flow with that previously?

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    You would get some, but most of the heavy particulates can fall down into the point. That's one of the reasons I asked about filter type, a string filter can help indicate how must rust is in the water.

Was that manifold and pex system in place the whole time? Did you have good flow with that previously?
    I'll see what filter I can find tonight.

Yes after we re did all the plumbing with pex the system was fine. No issues.

This has really surfaced the last 2 years with the last 6-8 months being really bad

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    My house only has 2 sinks, 1 toilet 1 shower. So not alot of plumbing at all. And it's mostly pex except right at some of the faucets were I just glued the pex to existing pvc cause there was shut off valves in line.

Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere
    Only advice I can add is that if you do have to build/upgrade in a way that requires the health dept to sign off or be part of the septic process, do be sure that your contractor/builder isn't on the health depts's bad side. Had that happen to my parents. Health inspector demanded a new septic suitable for a small church for their house largely out of spite for the builder.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    I installed a 5 micron filter,

But before I did that I opened that one exposed valve on the copper manifold the water just puked out pathetically...

Swapped new filter and that valve shot water 6 more feet and slammed into the wall then leveled out about 2 more feet spray then with the old filter. House is back to normal ish.

The filter I removed was part of a 4 pack that I've been using the last few years. It seems the last 2 were either defective or my system is aging terribly and low micron filters expose that.

Thanks to all involved!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Have been on wells and septics for about 15 years .

We use well water for bathroom and cooking. Drinking water is 5 gallon jugs and backup for power outages.

Septic tank we had inspected and they found one finger was doing all the work and the seller had to pay about 6k to get the other fingers to do their share.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Septic tank we had inspected and they found one finger was doing all the work and the seller had to pay about 6k to get the other fingers to do their share.

Can you share more info on this? New to septic and the home inspector said it all looks good when we purchased it - we did not do a separate septic inspection...

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Can you share more info on this? New to septic and the home inspector said it all looks good when we purchased it - we did not do a separate septic inspection...
    I used a septic guy the day we did our house inspection.

I know he put a dye in the tank and filled the tank to the top. After a bit he was in the yard looking at a distribution box.

I know the work recommended was to replace and adjust..... flappers? Inside the distribution box and did a terra lift.

Also removed the sump pump discharge from the tank.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I used a septic guy the day we did our house inspection.

I know he put a dye in the tank and filled the tank to the top. After a bit he was in the yard looking at a distribution box.

I know the work recommended was to replace and adjust..... flappers? Inside the distribution box and did a terra lift.

Also removed the sump pump discharge from the tank.
    Thanks and apologize to all for the thread drift.

I should be good to go then, he used a dye, ran a bathtub for over an hour then checked the tank. My leach field is up quite a ways from the tank (solid tank -> liquid tank -> pumped up to the leach field).

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    When I brought my home it had a newer septic installed so it didn't worry me much. Then 3 years later the city of Indianapolis came along and told me I am required to connect to the new sewer line that will be coming thru shortly. Had to hire my own contractor AND pay the city for the privilege to connect. And it wasn't optional. If I didn't do it within a specific time my home would be condemned. $8000 dollars later I would actually say it was worth it. My property value increased and would be more appealing to potential buyers

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Thanks and apologize to all for the thread drift.

I should be good to go then, he used a dye, ran a bathtub for over an hour then checked the tank. My leach field is up quite a ways from the tank (solid tank -> liquid tank -> pumped up to the leach field).
    Oh **** you have a mound system?

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    When I brought my home it had a newer septic installed so it didn't worry me much. Then 3 years later the city of Indianapolis came along and told me I am required to connect to the new sewer line that will be coming thru shortly. Had to hire my own contractor AND pay the city for the privilege to connect. And it wasn't optional. If I didn't do it within a specific time my home would be condemned. $8000 dollars later I would actually say it was worth it. My property value increased and would be more appealing to potential buyers
    City water and waste is a blessing, I wish I had the option

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I installed a 5 micron filter,

But before I did that I opened that one exposed valve on the copper manifold the water just puked out pathetically...

Swapped new filter and that valve shot water 6 more feet and slammed into the wall then leveled out about 2 more feet spray then with the old filter. House is back to normal ish.

The filter I removed was part of a 4 pack that I've been using the last few years. It seems the last 2 were either defective or my system is aging terribly and low micron filters expose that.

Thanks to all involved!
    Glad it was an easy filter swap. I'm late to this party but I was on city water at the previous house and had two 20"x2.5" filters in series, one at 25 micron pleated cellulose and the other was a carbon block 5 micron. Pressure drop after the carbon block was not as bad as what you're describing but it was terrible for everyone using the water. Flow was reduced to maybe 4 gallons a minute and things that took seconds to fill now took a minute. Prior to the carbon block it was a 25u in to a 5u both pleated cellulose. The carbon block really cuts the flow rate down. After getting enough complaints I removed the carbon block and put cellulose in. Nobody noticed a taste difference in the water with the carbon block removed.

Now I'm at a new place on well water and put a 1u spun polypropylene filter in for rust sediment reduction and it's cut back the flow maybe 10-15% but it's still good. I'll try a 5 micron next and see how that does for pressure drop and filter life.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Oh **** you have a mound system?
    Not sure if it's a "mound system". Due to hilly terrain and my lake, the only spot for the leach field is up on the hill. So waste goes to the solids tank, then the liquid tank then its pumped up to the leach field. I was able to get drawing from the health department when we bought the place so I have a good understanding of its layout.

It's been fine for the 25 years since it's been built...and passed the home inspectors quick peek.

The tank was pumped when we bought it, and looked good upon the reinspection.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Truth.

When I worked on a geotechnical sampling job, we did a lot of work up in super sandy NWI. Think up along the US 41 corridor west of Rensselaer . Generally the greater Kankakee River valley area. Very agricultural area. And again - very sandy.

One of the guys that was assisting us one day made mention that his house's water well was like 12' deep.

In a modern-day agricultural area.

I'm also quite sure that he was on a septic system, too. Granted, as long as your septic is down-stream from the groundwater it shouldn't be a huge issue. But groundwater levels fluctuate. And if it gets high enough to saturate an area, you're going to get backwashing / mixing.

His drinking water well was stupidly too shallow. Like "how much pesticide and herbicide would you like with your drink" stupidly / dumbly shallow.

Don't be dumb with your drinking water... If you can get municipal / rural supplied drinking water, go for it.
    All this talk of wells has me creeped out now I have a shallow well not sure how deep it’s a sand point ……. But I run all my drinking and cooking water through a Berkey water filter system…. Does that do the trick for herbicide / pesticide issues until spring when I can afford to install a deeper “real” well? Or should I switch to bottled water…….. ugh. Out of sight out of mind doesn’t work for me.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    All this talk of wells has me creeped out now I have a shallow well not sure how deep it’s a sand point ……. But I run all my drinking and cooking water through a Berkey water filter system…. Does that do the trick for herbicide / pesticide issues until spring when I can afford to install a deeper “real” well? Or should I switch to bottled water…….. ugh. Out of sight out of mind doesn’t work for me.
    You'd have to have your water tested by a lab to be sure.

Generally speaking - shallow wells are chock full of ag runoff. And plenty of other stuffs, too.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    They sell at home water test kits on Amazon. My well water out in the sticks tested better than city water from my home in suburban Indy...

Top Bottom