• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    PMs are the place for corrective information. The OP/Seller can then amend his/her post based on new information. No need to post it in the thread.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I was being too charitable I guess. I seem to recall a couple of times where the seller was being deliberately deceptive about what he was selling. Other members pointed it out. I know it is caveat emptor, but in a community like this, hopefully there is room for members to look out for each other.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I agree with Expat. I'd hate to lose the ability for others to publicly ask relevant questions on for-sale posts. That is part of what differentiates INGO from Armslist. People can ask legitimate questions and get clarification that helps others as well. If all communication is forced to PMs, there is nothing to make the seller have a more complete and accurate ad.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Anyone can PM the seller with questions, offers, clarifications. Then the seller at their next 24 hour bump can edit the ad to reflect any items that should be addressed. That keeps it clean and avoids bumping ads before they should be.

Once sold, the seller will post that the item is sold and should close the ad. They can put the price it ultimately sold for so others can see what the market is like.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm with Pudly and Expat on this. If I had to guess, I'd bet it's just a handful of users that are causing most of the problems. It usually is the few that screw stuff up for everybody. You guys have been nice about it, now it's time to take it up a notch, if that's what it'll take.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    In regards to not enough info provided with the OP, is there a way to setup some sort of form or template when the ad is being put together? I also recommend that a price and pictures are mandatory for any classified ad. Even if people are just wanting to trade, others need to know what dollar amount they value their trade at and what said item looks like, because we all know that "good condition" varies greatly in this community.

Like this maybe:

ITEM:_____________________

PRICE:_____________________

CONTACT INFORMATION:_____________

TRADE INTERESTS:____________

DETAILS & OR SPECIFICATIONS OF ITEM/S LISTED (CALIBER, ROUNDS FIRED, ISSUES / DAMAGES, ETC.): __________________________________

ATTACH PICTURES HERE:____________________________

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is there something we can do instead of 50 post? More of a time delay like 30 days or 43,200 minutes. Just a thought, especially with this gun ban scare and individuals trying to make an absurd profit on wares.

It has been suggested over the years to increase the requirements to participate in the classifieds. The idea being that the use of the classifieds is a perk of active membership. More than once the suggestion has been made to increase the requirement to 200 posts and six months of participation.

At the expense of a less than social trader or two, if we had stricter classified requirements, we might not have the problems outlined in the OP?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Anyone can PM the seller with questions, offers, clarifications. Then the seller at their next 24 hour bump can edit the ad to reflect any items that should be addressed. That keeps it clean and avoids bumping ads before they should be.

Once sold, the seller will post that the item is sold and should close the ad. They can put the price it ultimately sold for so others can see what the market is like.

The seller can edit their ad any time they want because the edit doesn't act as a bump. Also, when an ad is closed and the item marked sold it SHOULD be done in an edit of the OP, not as a separate post.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    It has been suggested over the years to increase the requirements to participate in the classifieds. The idea being that the use of the classifieds is a perk of active membership. More than once the suggestion has been made to increase the requirement to 200 posts and six months of participation.

At the expense of a less than social trader or two, if we had stricter classified requirements, we might not have the problems outlined in the OP?

Agreed. We have a lot of new members spamming the boards with 50 quick posts and there's no way the Mod staff can keep up, even though they do a wonderful job. With the recent panic we have an influx of noobs (even from out of state) coming in to make a quick profit. These modern-day carpetbaggers are leading to a lot of frustrated INGO'ers deciding an infraction is worth the comment/vent they want to make about the ad. Yeah, it's a free-market, capitalism is great, rah rah, but when we see the outright attempts at gouging, it's hard to not make comments in a classifieds thread. Not saying it's right or Ok to break the rules, but human nature normally wills out.

I say 200 posts and/or a 90 day probation period along with the OP being the only one allowed to reply in a thread. The argument that we may lose some info that was requested via PM and never added to the OP is valid but IMO, it's worth it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Pics are mandatory already, the rule is just routinely ignored...
    I believe you are mistaken, (although I would prefer it your way):)

The Rules of the INGO Classifieds! -> You MUST READ before posting! ...

...4. INGO strongly suggests you post pictures in your ads. If you are not going to provide pictures you must inform INGO members of this in your ad. Do not have members "email you for pictures" If you have the pictures you must post them or simply state you have no pictures. Not knowing how to post pictures is no excuse. Follow this link to learn more about posting pictures on INGO
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/classi..._tutorial.html

Last edited:

Ripper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Earth
    I've seen several ads in the last few hours that need this photo, but I'm gonna follow the rules and not bump their ad with it.
    ImpliedFacepalm.jpg

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I believe you are mistaken, (although I would prefer it your way):)

The Rules of the INGO Classifieds! -> You MUST READ before posting! ...
    4. INGO strongly suggests you post pictures in your ads. If you are not going to provide pictures you must inform INGO members of this in your ad. Do not have members "email you for pictures" If you have the pictures you must post them or simply state you have no pictures. Not knowing how to post pictures is no excuse. Follow this link to learn more about posting pictures on INGO
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/classi..._tutorial.html

Yeah, I didn't word that correctly. You're supposed to state "No Pics" if you don't have them but with the rush to get to 50 posts, a lot of posters must have missed the rule.

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    I did notice that it was getting a little sloppy and I'm glad to see that it is being addressed .
    The deliberately deceptive ads witch are popping up more and more need to be allowed to be addressed with no back lash.... ( IMHO ) .

As long as I'm dreaming up a perfect world ....No pics. == No post ..

I know the Mods. are busy and I would like to thank them for doing a great job.!

wabash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    SouthWest Indiana
    I have seen forums which have their classifieds set so that threads remain in the order they were started. Adding a post does not raise a thread to the top.

This reduces the bumping attempts (after people get used to it).

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    How about some conditions on out of state sellers and especially the ones who get a "fast 50", in one week from signing on, no site support then nothing from them as they wait for a response to their ad ? Isn't that what the Gun Brokers site is for? Just saying what needs to be said.

Top Bottom