• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thats not what I'm reading... correct me if I'm wrong, but here is the official rule (with my interpretation)
    I was definitely going to post pictures...

I did not... and this is a good rule...

I did not have pictures and stated so... "No pictures at this time, but will post some when I get a chance.

Technically I never violated any rules (as they are written)... and to be honest, I don't mind an infraction. I do think it was a bit unnecessary to delete the entire thread... especially considering I didn't break any rules.

"No pictures at this time... will post some when I get some" is not covered in the rules and it would have been easier for everyone if the mod simply deleted "will post some when I get some" if he felt it necessary.
    :twocents:

Honestly not a big deal, but since you opened some dialogue.... I'm just happy you guys are doing something about all the people who think "price gouging" should be regulated....

Shouldn't you be a bit more concerned about offending folks when you have such a high value item listed WTT: in the classifieds? :):

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I would venture a guess that probably 99% of the time when someone posts that they will "post pics soon" they never do and are only saying that to circumvent the rule. thats why we strictly enforce that rule in that circumstance.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Just handed out 3 infractions in a single classified ad. One person said it was "lame" and the other accepted full responsibility for his actions and apologized for not realizing what section he was posting in. Guess the 3rd response will be the tie breaker. . . .

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I guess I just look at things through the buyer's perspective more? I buy a lot more than I sell.

I like knowing all I can about what is going on. If I don't hear back from the seller on my PM fairly quickly, I'll post a "PM sent" to let other potential buyers know they may not want to waist their time or PMs until further thread activity dictates.

I appreciate not having my time wasted on stuff going on behind the scenes that I'm not aware of. I feel that good communication is the key to good translations.

Very understandable... but as a buyer I think it just creates a mess. The 24hour bump rule is there to create a fair playing field... how fair is it to have 14 people bump the thread with...

"1st"
    "2nd"
    "3rd if that deal falls through"
    "Oh hell... I'm fourth in case the other 3 don't pan out."
    "Man... I sent a PM before all of these guys, I'm actually 1st."
    "No way man... PM's don't take precedence over in forum messages"

Thats 6 unnecessary bumps.... If PM's were the standard, then Mods wouldn't have all of this mess.

Let the sellers deal with it.... its the most fair system for everyone.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I would venture a guess that probably 99% of the time when someone posts that they will "post pics soon" they never do and are only saying that to circumvent the rule. thats why we strictly enforce that rule in that circumstance.

Why would they want to circumvent the rule tho? (hopefully you guys don't misinterpret me as being an ass lol... )

There is literally zero value for the seller to lie... To me, its just the easiest way to inform potential buyers that they can see the product, because the first question a buyer is going to ask a seller is ... "do you have any pics?"

Again.. its a rule that seems to just create more work for mods (unnecessarily)... :twocents:

For me personally its not a big deal... I'll just make my 12 year old take pics for me first (since she has one of them fancy phones :) )

I won't waste any more of your guys time... I honestly just came here to say good job with all the comments and I'm happy that they are getting infractions/bans because its just gotten out of hand.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Why would they want to circumvent the rule tho? (hopefully you guys don't misinterpret me as being an ass lol... )

There is literally zero value for the seller to lie... To me, its just the easiest way to inform potential buyers that they can see the product, because the first question a buyer is going to ask a seller is ... "do you have any pics?"
    Then why not just post them

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Very understandable... but as a buyer I think it just creates a mess. The 24hour bump rule is there to create a fair playing field... how fair is it to have 14 people bump the thread with...

"1st"
    "2nd"
    "3rd if that deal falls through"
    "Oh hell... I'm fourth in case the other 3 don't pan out."
    "Man... I sent a PM before all of these guys, I'm actually 1st."
    "No way man... PM's don't take precedence over in forum messages"

Thats 6 unnecessary bumps.... If PM's were the standard, then Mods wouldn't have all of this mess.

When that happens, it's always very soon after the initial post, not bumping it much, if at all.

Last edited:

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Why would you post PM sent in a For Sale thread and bump it back to the top where it easier for some to see it. I never bump a thread on anything I am interested in buying.

Well I post PM sent because the seller might check his add to bump or whatever and see that someone posted that they sent a PM. I've had my notification info in the upper right hand corner not say that I had an unread PM so if the seller sees that someone posted "PM sent" they can check their inbox. Simply another way to respond. If the sellers inbox is full, posting in-thread is the only way to respond. Then they know that they need to look into their inbox issues.

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Just handed out 3 infractions in a single classified ad. One person said it was "lame" and the other accepted full responsibility for his actions and apologized for not realizing what section he was posting in. Guess the 3rd response will be the tie breaker. . . .

Well here is your tie breaker.

The guy was thinking about giving away a gun cabinet that belonged to his grandfather. I merely suggested an alternative use for it with what I am doing. Sorry for trying to help a fellow member here.

I understand there are rules, but can you not see what was going on there? Or you got trigger happy with the infraction button?

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Then why not just post them

For me personally, I was lounging around when I made the post... I didn't realize it was going to be such a production.

I could have used my phone and had put a crappy super pixelated picture... or wait an hour for my daughter to return with her super phone and take a nice pic?

From now on... I'll just wait or take the leap and get one of those Samsung Galaxy Note 2's I've been wanting.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    I was under the impression that the intent of allowing replies in the classifieds was to educate perspective future buyers and sellers as to values and sales practices?

An example was a fourteen year-old adding multiple, 'helpful' comments on a thread listing gear for sale. That behavior does not fit the purpose of WTS threads!

Also, people listing gear worth hundreds of dollars, and not supplying an actual photo of the item is mind boggling. Maybe it should be a requirement in the classifieds.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Wait to post your ad until you have the pics. Problem solved.

For sure... or better yet, simply put "NO PICS" then edit your post when you get them and add them in?

Again... there is no benefit to the seller either way? It's the mods that have to run around and check those things I guess.... Obviously I plan to make it as easy on them as possible.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Well here is your tie breaker.

The guy was thinking about giving away a gun cabinet that belonged to his grandfather. I merely suggested an alternative use for it with what I am doing. Sorry for trying to help a fellow member here.

I understand there are rules, but can you not see what was going on there? Or you got trigger happy with the infraction button?

For rules to be fair the need to be enforced equally, even it was a freebie thread. Still the classifieds

Pretty much this.

We have rules. I have to enforce them. We don't have exemptions for off-topic comments that are trying to be helpful-- we just say "no off-topic comments". You didn't receive the infraction for trying to be helpful.

We've given everyone fair warning that we're not letting minor issues slide any longer. We're now systematically combing through the classifieds and finding violations.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Pretty much this.

We have rules. I have to enforce them. We don't have exemptions for off-topic comments that are trying to be helpful-- we just say "no off-topic comments". You didn't receive the infraction for trying to be helpful.

We've given everyone fair warning that we're not letting minor issues slide any longer. We're now systematically combing through the classifieds and finding violations.
    And I am helping because I want to be a mod some day when I grow up :rockwoot:

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    Pretty much this.

Just like the zero tolerance rules in schools we all ***** about?

You got a set of eyes to see what's going on, use them. An infraction (whatever that is) is bull**** for some one offering help.

Top Bottom