• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    See, radio and TV stations have these things called ratings, so they can set pricing for advertising. If they're playing **** people don't like, then their ratings suffer and then the radio station can't charge as much for advertising.
    I've heard plenty of DJs ask for direct feedback on what they're playing (or not playing). Do you have a specific reason why providing such direct feedback is inherently a bad thing?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Did we miss the entire point about "White Christmas" being inherently racist? Not all opinions are valid and worthy of consideration.

...though I suppose there are many, many things out there that prove that the market endorses rampant stupidity.

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Funny how your definition of "direct feedback" doesn't involve actually contacting them, you know, directly.
    You're aware that, had the petitioner been genuine instead of pretending, the petition would have gone to them?

Did we miss the entire point about "White Christmas" being inherently racist? Not all opinions are valid and worthy of consideration.
    He asked what else I wanted to ban, after I had made it clear that my dislike of the song had nothing to do with racism.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    At your advanced age I would have thought you would have said Eartha Kitt or Pam Grier...

Or Shirley Bassey, or...

What bugs me about the whole thing, aside from the fact he's being punished for expressing an opinion* is that people are counting off a few examples of their own opinions** in order to refute what he's said, and what, justify his punishment? If I scratched you would I find a fascist underneath?

* Remember, it was a black guy that said it in the first place, as if that has any bearing on him being allowed an opinion in the matter, but we have to presume he means "generally", as there are always exceptions

** "His opinion is wrong because it doesn't agree with mine", besides which, you're reasoning inductively here, implying that all the black chicks are hot just because you can think of a handful that don't line up with what he's said. Is that really your opinion, or are you just dressing it up for public consumption? Hey, I've known some black chicks personally I would have gone out with, but, you know, generally not. Say what you mean and quit being afraid of offending people. Sometimes somebody is going to say something that's uncomfortable or distasteful, but that's the 1A for ya.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You guys are so insensitive. I feel like I am a 19 year old female and demand to shower with the college volleyball team.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Who (here) was justifying his punishment?

Maybe not justifying it explicitly, but by quibbling about his opinion and not just coming out in outrage against the treatment he's received, it's playing the SJW's game by their rules. That kind of thing is really taking up my slack these days, and quite frankly it motivates me to be less civil to those who haven't demonstrated that they deserve civility.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Maybe not justifying it explicitly, but by quibbling about his opinion and not just coming out in outrage against the treatment he's received, it's playing the SJW's game by their rules. That kind of thing is really taking up my slack these days, and quite frankly it motivates me to be less civil to those who haven't demonstrated that they deserve civility.

...or it's making fun of the SJWs by pointing out the totally insignificant thing they found so offensive.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    You guys are so insensitive. I feel like I am a 19 year old female and demand to shower with the college volleyball team.

Hey, is this a hot 19 year old female? As consolation she could come shower with me. Will there be a photographer present perchance? Yeah, I said "hot". Unbunch your own panties.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    ...or it's making fun of the SJWs by pointing out the totally insignificant thing they found so offensive.

Hey, if I, having a brain the size of a planet (even though some of it doesn't work that well sometimes, I'm having a terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side), didn't walk away with that, you really think those pinheads would get it? It just seemed like a bunch of equivocation to me.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I've heard plenty of DJs ask for direct feedback on what they're playing (or not playing). Do you have a specific reason why providing such direct feedback is inherently a bad thing?
    And what of when that feedback is solicited by a third party for political reasons from people who might not even listen to that DJ?

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    There is kind of a difference between saying you like or dislike the programming on a station vs demanding they remove something specific for a specious reason. The rate at which he was collecting signatures was more likely due to him kind of playing around with it rather than seeking signatures in earnest. It's the fact that anyone signed it at all that shows us how stupid they are.

Lowe0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Indianapolis
    And what of when that feedback is solicited by a third party for political reasons from people who might not even listen to that DJ?

Then it's their choice to listen or not. Their business, their call.

It's a lot like the whole Chik-Fil-A thing a while back. Telling people you don't agree with that you won't be consuming their product is a good thing. Telling people you agree with that you will be consuming their product, that's a good thing, too. Whether that's because you think "Baby, It's Cold Outside" is rapey, or you just don't want to be subjected to Wham's "Last Christmas" while eating dinner, people can and should include their personal opinions in their purchasing decisions. (Or listening decisions, in this case.)

But keep in mind that it's difficult to know what the real world end result of this would have been, because the guy in question made the whole thing up.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

...though I suppose there are many, many things out there that prove that the market endorses rampant stupidity.

Thanks. Denny.

Hey, is this a hot 19 year old female? As consolation she could come shower with me. Will there be a photographer present perchance? Yeah, I said "hot". Unbunch your own panties.

This is Expat we're talking about here. If you want to imagine a hot 19 year old, go for it, man.

I look suspiciously like a fat middle aged white guy... but... YMMV.

See?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom