• ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier.Patriot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Why I carry concealed at work...

I work in a medical setting where encountering the mentally unstable is a common occurrence. These patients would not react well to open carry. In my 12 years of working in this field, encountering 100s if not 1,000s of patients I've only had two incidents where I thought a patient might be violent ~ one was a threatening to harm someone else (not present @ the facility) and one who I thought might want to punch me but who, instead, ran out of the room.

I believe that there is a rather low chance of violent crime because the patients are there to receive help and so it is in their best interest to "be nice" to the staff who are there to help them.

I guess that, because of my work situation, I just fell into the habit of CC all the time but the author makes some good points about the benefits of OC when not "on the job."

:cheers:

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I work in a medical setting where encountering the mentally unstable is a common occurrence. These patients would not react well to open carry. In my 12 years of working in this field, encountering 100s if not 1,000s of patients I've only had two incidents where I thought a patient might be violent ~ one was a threatening to harm someone else (not present @ the facility) and one who I thought might want to punch me but who, instead, ran out of the room.

I believe that there is a rather low chance of violent crime because the patients are there to receive help and so it is in their best interest to "be nice" to the staff who are there to help them.

I guess that, because of my work situation, I just fell into the habit of CC all the time but the author makes some good points about the benefits of OC when not "on the job."

Yours is a situation where CC is a good choice, that is really all this argument is about personal choice. I carry both ways depending on my situation. Heck right now I am LC or lunch box carry. I can't carry on my body for comfort reasons so its in the truck in my lunch box. There is no lunch but at least my protection is there.

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg

My father worked in the hospital for 25+ years and has a number of stories where patients were combative, many who were on drugs.

Cornmilitia

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Jasper Co.
    Concealed here, my main deterrent is the police themselves, and the places that will call the police if you do open carry, i would rather be able to move about my life freely... i've been booted from one place before because my shirt lifted up and exposed my gun.
    So now i carry in the front and stay a little more aware of if its exposed. To each their own but thats my preference and reasoning behind it

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Concealed here, my main deterrent is the police themselves, and the places that will call the police if you do open carry, i would rather be able to move about my life freely... i've been booted from one place before because my shirt lifted up and exposed my gun.
    So now i carry in the front and stay a little more aware of if its exposed. To each their own but thats my preference and reasoning behind it

Good first post, nicely reasoned.:welcome: to :ingo:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I'm going to say it. Here goes:

We would not have even heard of Zimmerman or Martin if Zimmerman was OCing legally in Florida. Why? Because that kid would not have attacked an armed man and Zimmerman would not have had a reason to shoot in self defense.

But he took the 'element of surprise' argument to its logical conclusion: You WILL get hurt first. He was lucky he wasn't knocked unconscious before he was able to draw his pistol and fire.

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg

You miss the point of the article. The point people always make for CC is that you have "the element of surprise" and you "won't get your gun grabbed."

It doesn't matter how/if you carry, but always be aware of your surroundings and take some hand to hand combat courses.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    You do know that many people consider this a sort of psuedoconspiracy to gain some form of concealed carry right?
    Please don't turn into an "anything against my point is a conspiracy" guy. You make so many good points without that kind of stuff.

So many times on here it's said to point out a time that an OCer has been targeted, and every time someone does it's turned into a "conspiracy".

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Please don't turn into an "anything against my point is a conspiracy" guy. You make so many good points without that kind of stuff.

So many times on here it's said to point out a time that an OCer has been targeted, and every time someone does it's turned into a "conspiracy".

HA! This is the 'argument' thread so I bend the rules a little. Can an OCer be targeted for his gun? Sure. Why WOULDN'T he be? It sure as hell isn't a magic talisman warding off all evil.

I did read on one of the other forums from a guy who supposedly knew this guy that it was done on purpose. Whether it was total BS, him lying and trying to save face or not I doubt we will ever know.

Cornmilitia

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Jasper Co.
    You do know that many people consider this a sort of psuedoconspiracy to gain some form of concealed carry right?
    i say if it was a conspiracy then good for those guys, for all the low down dirty tricks that the anti gun folks use, ie.fast and furious, the least we can do is have one guy embarrass himself for the good of his fellow carry enthusiasts

protias

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Formerly Greensburg
    Was a big topic on OCDO (opencarry.org). Was done to show Wisconsin needed a CC law so they wouldn't have to OC. :)
    I'm very active on OCDO and don't remember such post. I do remember Nik (WCI President) saying how the guy who was robbed would have preferred to CC but OC because it was the only legal way he could.

Top Bottom