They say the end of the world is coming.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sweet James

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    London
    By all accounts we are approaching the end of the world. Someone told me there is some kind of prophesy that we are approaching the end. Anybody know about this? If it's true I think I need to get some beans and maize in!:ar15:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Either YouTube or Hulu (I don't remember which) has the whole National Geographic thing that played on the History Channel about it. I didn't know that through the centuries different cultures had oracles and prophets that predicted the same date without having knowledge of the others. Creepy.
    I'm a skeptic, but it's still an entertaining piece.
    ETA:
    Supposedly, that's when our galaxy will line up in a way that only happened once so far (and NASA concurs based on current study)...the unusual gravitational pulls will flip flop our poles. The planet's crust and plates will shift violently and cause MASSIVE tidal waves, fires, and earthquakes. MEGA destruction in the matter of days or even hours. We'll all be thrown into the wrong hemispheres and then suffer instant ice age effects. Total annihilation. COOL!!

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Either YouTube or Hulu (I don't remember which) has the whole National Geographic thing that played on the History Channel about it. I didn't know that through the centuries different cultures had oracles and prophets that predicted the same date without having knowledge of the others. Creepy.
    I'm a skeptic, but it's still an entertaining piece.
    ETA:
    Supposedly, that's when our galaxy will line up in a way that only happened once so far (and NASA concurs based on current study)...the unusual gravitational pulls will flip flop our poles. The planet's crust and plates will shift violently and cause MASSIVE tidal waves, fires, and earthquakes. MEGA destruction in the matter of days or even hours. We'll all be thrown into the wrong hemispheres and then suffer instant ice age effects. Total annihilation. COOL!!

It wil reverse all things. My Harley won't leak oil, my mother-in-laws meatloaf will become edible, and my glock will jam! Oh, the horrors!

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    but so will the sense of EPIC FAIL when it comes and goes without incident.

Wow...you're sooo looking at it the wrong way!
    You need to HELP the hype!!
    Kick it up a notch or two!
    Whip it up to a frenzy....and oh yeah - stock up on popcorn so you can sit back and enjoy the ensuing entertainment. :popcorn:

Signed,

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Not by my account. :dunno: The hype surrounding the "2012" thing is going to make Y2K pale in comparison, but so will the sense of EPIC FAIL when it comes and goes without incident.

What people forget is the MASSIVE amount of work that went into making Y2K not be a disaster. I mean, the IT community was put through the wringer after the fact. No "Thanks! You did a great job!". It was just complaining that nothing major went wrong and it was all "hype". It wasn't hype. The problems were real.

I'd say it was far from an epic fail. It was an epic success, but like in any other field you never hear the good stuff.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    I tell you what. I'll pay you 100 dollars for your house, but I don't get it till Dec 22 2012 when the world ends.

The Myan calender is what most people refer to. Just because a calender stops doesn't mean it's the end. Watch the Pen and Teller episode about it. It's probably on Hulu or Youtube.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    We were talking about this at work the other day....My answer was simple

The Mayans (the ones that have the calendar that ends in 2012) probably just got tired of writing. They also figured that surly someone will be able to figure out the pattern and continue the calendar.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The Myan calender is what most people refer to. Just because a calender stops doesn't mean it's the end. Watch the Pen and Teller episode about it. It's probably on Hulu or Youtube.

It doesn't stop, it just rolls over to the next epoch. The same way our calendar rolled over from 1999 to 2000. People freak out when the odometer on their car rolls over. Of COURSE they're gonna go nuts when a 144,000-day (or about 400 years) calendar cycle rolls.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    What people forget is the MASSIVE amount of work that went into making Y2K not be a disaster. I mean, the IT community was put through the wringer after the fact. No "Thanks! You did a great job!". It was just complaining that nothing major went wrong and it was all "hype". It wasn't hype. The problems were real.

I'd say it was far from an epic fail. It was an epic success, but like in any other field you never hear the good stuff.
    +1 Y2K was a human created problem, that humans corrected before it happened. The end of the Mayan calendar, if real, is not a human created problem, and likely cannot be stopped or corrected by humans. Y2K was nothing compared the 12-21-12. prophecy.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    well not really. Im not real sure I believe in global warming. But I dont think anyone would disagree that the world was a whole lot cleaner and more pure 10,000 years ago.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    * We're all entitled to believe what we want, and below is what I believe about the end of the world, regardless of all the hype going on about possible prophesies, etc.*

Matthew 24:42 says: "Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come."

and again, in Mark 13:32 "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father."

The simple fact is that yes, the world is coming to an end, and has been since Christ ascended into Heaven. He will come again to judge all at the end of times, but as stated in the two verses above (and in many other passages in the Bible) nobody by God himself knows when that day will be.

Humans from all walks of life, religious, atheist, and everything in between have tried to predict the end of the world for as long as the world has been around, and so far, none of them have been right!

To decouple a bit from the religious part - Who knows, maybe the Mayans will have guessed right and the end will be in 2012. But my question back is, does it really matter? Would it change how you live your life today?

Top Bottom