• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mototc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Czech VZ58 was my choice

Obviously pushing your budget a little but worth the extra couple hundred bucks and is still less that an milled Arsenal AK. The VZ58 was only made in a milled receiver and is available from only two sources (that I am aware of) so it simplifies the confusion when your new to the AK world. I read that magazines are harder to find but I located and purchased a dozen alloy mags in 24 hours.
    There are numerous spec and feature differences you can read about on the Czechpoint-usa website or youtube videos.
    I would recommend the DTeknic build over the Century. Better fit, finish, and chrome lined barrel
    I have been really impressed with this weapon.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    If possible, try to stay way from Century builds until your a little mode familiar with the platform. They're stuff is very hit or miss. .

Don't forget to qualify this statement.

Century imports are usually good to go.

Century builds are typically to be avoided. ;)

They import a LOT of firearms, so just because it says 'CAI' or 'Century', doesn't mean its bad. You need to find out where it was built.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Obviously pushing your budget a little but worth the extra couple hundred bucks and is still less that an milled Arsenal AK. The VZ58 was only made in a milled receiver and is available from only two sources (that I am aware of) so it simplifies the confusion when your new to the AK world. I read that magazines are harder to find but I located and purchased a dozen alloy mags in 24 hours.
    There are numerous spec and feature differences you can read about on the Czechpoint-usa website or youtube videos.
    I would recommend the DTeknic build over the Century. Better fit, finish, and chrome lined barrel
    I have been really impressed with this weapon.

^^^^^^^^^^^

This! I was going to suggest the very same rifle. It is my go to rifle, and I did A LOT of research before I purchased.

The vz.58 is as dependable as an AK and nearing the accuracy of the AR. The Magazines have gotten harder to find, but recently there is a company selling a 10 pack of brand new Czech made 1970's mags for $159.95 with 6.95 shipping, that is a very good price... cheaper than the AK74 mags, and just a little more than the good steel '47 mags...

If you can swing a little extra in your budget, and possibly wait a bit, you can get the vz from Czechpoint for $789 with the funky sporter stock, which you can swap out later for various different stock configurations. I'll be honest the vz.58 doesn't have the number of add-on options of the AK or AR, yet, but it is a wonderful platform.

If you ever get down to the Bloomington area, or are near Fishers during the week, I'll let you fondle it. :D

mototc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    DTeknic VZ58

You will always find a lot of varying opinions and the diehard AK guys tend to downplay the VZ58 because is uses proprietary parts but the reality is that all of the parts are available and the gun has many advantages over the AK.
    I agree with the previous post regarding the accuracy of the VZ58. Standing unsupported with iron sights, I can shoot a better group at 100 yards with my VZ58 than my Ar15. I attribute this to the light weight and short stroke piston operation of the weapon.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    My house has recently acquired another M70AB2 for the wife, and we're both very pleased with them. Not to be confused with the M70AB2T, which supposedly had reliability issues. That information is hear-say, however. I cannot confirm it first hand. Our M70AB2's are great, though.

As others have said...check to be sure that the gas block is not canted, that the front sight is not canted, that a magazine in the magwell doesn't have a lot of "wobble," and finally try to find the one with the smoothest action.

(Two M70AB2's.)

20121207_163442.jpg

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Finding ammo for the 5.45x39 locally is totally impossible. Be ready to order bulk over the internet.

semiautosniper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 16, 2012
    I saw a youtube video where people fired AK47 and AK74 through a dense bush to engage a target behind the bush, and the AK47 was right on target, and AK74 missed the target all together. Apparently, the 5.45 x 39 was keyholing the target when it's trajectory was diverted by the dense bush in front it. The bush had no ill effects on the 7.62 x 39.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I was out today shooting my vz.58 at Panther Ridge, and with my less then perfect skills I was hitting a 50%(?) steel silhouette at 100 yards about 70 -75% of the time... I know not that impressive, but with irons and little experience and no training I was very happy with it and myself.

mototc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    Hey japartridge,
    Is your VZ58 at Century VZ2008 or a VZ58 from CSA. The CSA VZ's can be really accurate regardless of what people say about 7.62x39. I shot an expert score at Atterbury with a VZ48 from 100-400 yards.
    Sign up for an Appleseed or a rifle event with Revere's Riders and they'll teach you the skill set to do it with iron sights.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Hey japartridge,
    Is your VZ58 at Century VZ2008 or a VZ58 from CSA. The CSA VZ's can be really accurate regardless of what people say about 7.62x39. I shot an expert score at Atterbury with a VZ48 from 100-400 yards.
    Sign up for an Appleseed or a rifle event with Revere's Riders and they'll teach you the skill set to do it with iron sights.

what is CSA?

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Okay, I will play the "good guy" in this thread. Maybe it has some relevance for some of our newer members. Maybe our necro poster is making a "run", haven't checked the "runner" thread yet.
    I think this is a good video to watch for anyone wanting to own an AK and can't decide what to get.

Video is 2 years old, still good info in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOzepJ-6jgI

Last edited:
    Top Bottom