• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    i got one in 9mm and its not a bad gun . would i stake my life on it .dont know about that maybe once.lol going to get sve9 sw next. so thanks..

I am not too familair with those but I do know that it will generate similar feedback to this thread focussing on the trigger.......

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Ive shot 4 of them, my dad has two for SHTF. They are really not ready to go from the factory, and will malfunction when new. You really need to disassemble and remove the paint from the moving parts, polish and lube them. After that, I could rapid fire them with no issues. Id say theyre a great stash gun, and great to have laying around for SHTF situations where you might want to arm a friend who doesnt have a gun. I would NOT recommend them for carry, they really are not made for that. TOO heavy, too bulky, BBI nailed it with the slickness of the grips, though talon grips would stop that immediately. I guess they would do well as a night stand gun, but there are so many better alternatives, albeit more expensive. Plus I am a big believer in shotguns for home defense.
    For the money, I guess, you cant get more gun. Literally, for 150 bucks you cant get more gun, hell you cant get more metal for 150 bucks, the hipoint 9c has more metal in it that a ww2 Japanese tank...... true story.
    My opinion is, theyre alright.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Hickok45 presents his take on the Hi-Point C9. Pretty fair review:

[video=youtube;rCNx0Ql2ZZw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCNx0Ql2ZZw[/video]

Best part: Duel-wielding Hi-Points.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yesterday, I was talking to the guy behind the gun counter at the Bedford Rural King. We were talking about their selection and I was asking about if they'd be getting any Springfields in. He said their inventory was based on their marketing's demographic studies of the area where the stores are located....which naturally drew my attention the the Hi-Point they had on the shelf. I jokingly mentioned Bedford must be considered more of a Hi-Point town than a SA town. We had a good laugh.

He then said he's sold some already. In fact, a week or so ago, he said a guy and his wife were in the store looking. She told him "to pick out whichever one you want". After thinking about it, he said the husband decided on the Hi-Point. We had another good laugh.

Kmocao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Somewhar in the Bush
    Haven't shot one, but handled a .45 this last weekend actually and like everyone said, they're bulky, heavy, and ugly as sin. The slide is so big it doesn't look like it even goes on the gun. You might be able to do as much damage by hitting someone over the head with one as you can shooting them.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    We need to teach you how spell check works.

Anyway, I bought a C9 because a friend wanted to get rid of it to make room in his safe and I wanted to form my own opinion of the gun. I'm gonna deck this thing out to be funny but overall if you need a handgun now and you have less than $200 you could do worse than a Hi Point.

1. It's fairly reliable depending on the magazine.
    2. It is surprisingly accurate due to the fixed barrel design.
    3. They are quirky to operate if not clumsy. The safety is barely usable and painful to operate without gloves at times. Not to mention if you shake it hard the slide flops out of battery.
    4. Zemac which the slide is made of has questionable integrity after prolonged use and the polymer doesn't feel very sturdy.
    5. Magazine capacity is low compared to other designs. You get 7-10 rounds in the handguns of any caliber.
    6. Sights are 3 dot and orange. This is good for contrast but they are cheap and mine weren't really on there straight.... From the factory
    7. The trigger is single action in style but has alot of take up and the it stacks. It isn't unusable though.
    8. The firing pin also doubles as an Ejector. This is a pretty bad design flaw in my eyes and could be potentially dangerous though I have yet to see documentation on the gun firing out of battery because of it.
    9. It is a blowback operated gun in a larger caliber than what blowback pistols typically are. Most blowback designs run up to 9x18 Makarov for very good reasons. This operating system relies on the weight of the slide to keep the gun in battery and because of this it makes the gun very heavy up top. This weight is a necessity so the slide doesn't open up prematurely causing it to detonate.
    10. It is very heavy compared to other designs that are not much more than it in costs.
    11. This added weight to the slide increases felt recoil dramatically. It is the slide that causes this as the 3lb slide comes back and stops bring with it all the momentum.
    12. It is difficult to disassemble to clean and requires tools. You need 3 hands, a hammer, and a roll pin punch to take it apart. Hi Point themselves don't recommend you cleaning it. They want you to send it to the factory for cleaning otherwise you void the warranty.
    13. Mine has not been reliable with all JHP ammo.
    14. It's cheap. That's about all it has going for it.

So if you need a Handgun right now and you have less than $200 you could do worse. If conceal carry is not a concern I'd buy a budget level pump shotgun. If you are really wanting a handgun eat some more Ramen and save for something a bit better. The gun world is cluttered with budget 9mm pistols for not much more money than what a Hi point goes for and all are a significant improvement. Here's some examples:

The Arcus 98DA is a Bulgarian made Browning Hi Power clone and it's only $80 more.
    https://www.classicfirearms.com/arcus-98dac-tt-compact-semi-auto-pistol-cal-9mm

The Zastava M70 is based on the good ol TT33 Tokarev design with an improved safety.
    Yugo M70A Pistol 9mm with (2) 9rd Mags

The Ruger P series is very underrated and can be had as low as $275 used

The Ruger 9E is an improvement on the on the SR9 platform by getting rid of those pesky lawyer accessories though they sell it as a budget gun.
    Ruger SR9E Pistol 9mm 4.14 in 17 Rd Magazine

Taurus has a questionable reputation for quality but the two PT111s I've shot were pretty decent
    Taurus 111 9mm 12+1 Pistol - 1111031G212 | CenterfireGuns

The Bersa Thunder 9 is somewhat a clone of the Walther P88 and are pretty highly regarded by it's owners
    Buck Shot Sporting Goods | Bersa Thunder Pro Ultra Compact 9mm 3.25" 13+1 Syn Grip Matte Blue Finish

These Smiths were once called Smegmas but they are a far cry from those days. I wouldn't be too sad if I was stuck with one especially if I get the Apex trigger kit
    S&W SD9 VE 9mm 4" 16+1 Stainless Slide | DefenderOutdoors.com

The Canik TP9 series has taken the budget 9mm scene by storm. With good reason too. It's essentially a clone of a Walther P99 and is a stupid good value
    at $300. Also available in a million colors
    Canik 55 TP-9SA 9mm Semi Auto Pistol, Single Action, Black, by CAI, New.

Also don't discount Military Surplus guns like the Radom P-64. I love mine
    S.F. ARMORY INC. | CENT P64 9MM MAK (2) 6RD

Then after all this maybe google around for Police Trade in Pistols. I've seen Glocks, M&Ps, and Sigs as low as $350

buddy17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    United States
    I wouldn't mind having 5-6 of them to supply others with in a SHTF scenario. Then again, for not much more you can get police trade older Glocks for that situation.....

Top Bottom