• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I have a high point carbine in 9mm. Its a hoot. Its a gen 1. I got it cheap and spent more on the new stock, red dot, and shipping than I did for the rifle.

I would not consider a high point carbine or standard pistol appropriate as a "truck gun". Nor would I consider anything in a pistol calibre.

Trucks are big. And when cornered, can be dangerous.
    I'd recommend something in .30 calibre at a minimum. If you have a .50 cal, even better.

Unless you're hunting one of those smallish Toyotas or an old Chevy LUV type truck.
    Then you might be "ok".

Crossbow

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Tippecanoe Co.
    I have a high point carbine in 9mm. Its a hoot. Its a gen 1. I got it cheap and spent more on the new stock, red dot, and shipping than I did for the rifle.

I would not consider a high point carbine or standard pistol appropriate as a "truck gun". Nor would I consider anything in a pistol calibre.

Trucks are big. And when cornered, can be dangerous.
    I'd recommend something in .30 calibre at a minimum. If you have a .50 cal, even better.

Unless you're hunting one of those smallish Toyotas or an old Chevy LUV type truck.
    Then you might be "ok".

Well, I heard it doesn't take much to bring down a Dodge Ram Truck, cause they usually die on their own.:lmfao:

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    Well, I heard it doesn't take much to bring down a Dodge Ram Truck, cause they usually die on their own.:lmfao:

LOL! I used to own a Ram (1985 model with a slant six & four speed manual, short bed, bench seat, manual steering, and no A/C). It got me around, but I prefer my current F-150 SuperCrew 4x4.

Maybe it's the same with Hi-Points. I have a friend who swears by them. They're certainly economical to buy. I've thought about buying one. But I always seem to pass them up. My biggest hangup was the magazine capacity on the models available here.

If they fit your budget and you can shoot them well? Go for it. It's certainly better than arming yourself with a stick.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    is it just me? but when I am at the 1500 and I see a table with a Hi Point pistol on it I loose interest in anything else the guy is selling

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Well I applaud you for wanting to own a firearm, and hi point has a great warranty. But I would only use one for a doorstop personally, seen too many fail too often. My advice woudl be to save your $$$ a little bit longer and get something a bit nicer. A Ruger, S&W SDVE, etc.. I know it's more but it's worth it. IMO

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I will say if you can sit through all 11 minutes of this it is actually kind of impressive

[video=youtube;AbvvurXmAmg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbvvurXmAmg[/video]

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Well I applaud you for wanting to own a firearm, and hi point has a great warranty. But I would only use one for a doorstop personally, seen too many fail too often. My advice woudl be to save your $$$ a little bit longer and get something a bit nicer. A Ruger, S&W SDVE, etc.. I know it's more but it's worth it. IMO

Every Hi-point I've seen fail is due to people thinking cheap gun = cheap ammo. Some people still are of the opinion that if you have a gun in a particular caliber, that ALL types of ammo in that caliber will run reliably through it. Needless to say, they don't shoot much.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville

A Canik TP9 SA can be had for $350 or less, including ffl transfer, shipping, everything. I just saw one at prepper 4 in bluffton for $369 + tax yesterday. A very solid pistol for a great price. Best value on the market currently, IMO.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    if going highpoint, I recommend the Assailant Arms Ultimate High Point. price is a little steep, but who can put a price on your life?

-rvb

[video=youtube;KjQk244oW9c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjQk244oW9c[/video]

tlandon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 13, 2014
    USA
    Owned two 45 JHP. Both ran perfectly and were very accurate. Typical responses from people on this forum. They feel a need to bash everything and have never owned one or shot one.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    =y brother-in-law has the .380. I will say it is the softest shooting and one of the most accurate pistols I have ever shot. big heavy gun + anemic rounds = easy shooting. Very nice gun to let nervous new shooters practice on. Once they stop flinching in anticipation, move them to a gun with better ergonomics. All we have ever shot through it is Blazer Brass FMJ and probably 2k rounds of it.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    A Hi Points s a fine range gun. They work weel as a gun for the night stand too. They are reliable as all get oit but they weigh a ton so I won't carry it. It would be a good carry piece if that was the best you could do too, just make sure you wear suspenders AND a belt so it won't pul down your britches. ;)

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I remember having an older 45, with a heel mounted mag catch, and a flush fit mag. It was a reliable gun. A huge boat anchor, but a reliable gun.

I hate the way the new ones look, with the profiled slides and goofy, extended ribbed floor plates that still hold the same number of rounds. The were never pretty, but the newest versions look retarded. So bad, I will never own one.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I don't own one (yet) so can't vouch for them. However I think a lot of people here and on other forums tend to bash all inexpensive firearms because they purchased an expensive or "popular" gun. My son and I collect firearms, I have several "cheap" handguns and rifles, also some expensive ones. The only guns we don't own are those with plastic functional parts (frames etc.). We have Davis, Jennings, Cobra's, Nagants, TTC's as well as firearms made by Colt, Smith, Springfield, Ruger, Contender Kimber, Winchester, Remington and others. I grant you the expensive firearms do have a much better "look", fit and finish. Usually they have smoother triggers, better sights, etc., and most (not all) of the costlier guns are a little more accurate.

However, after breaking in the firearms and sometimes having to polish the feed ramps, ALL of my firearms function like they should when using good ammo (some of the firearms like true 1911's (all brands) will not shoot some hollow points or wad cutters as the feed ramp is built to be very reliable with round nose only). I really would trust any of my firearms with my life, if I found one that wasn't reliable, I would send it back to the manufacture for repair if I couldn't fix it. I have looked at the Hi-points, and would not hesitate to purchase one if I needed a firearm and that was what I could afford at the time. I have never heard anyone complain about their warranty, if fact I think they have one of the best in the business.

As has been stated, it is true the finish is not very attractive and they are heavier then the more expensive competitors guns of the same caliber, the ones that I have handled seem to have a rough trigger, but I am sure that will improve somewhat after breaking in with a couple hundred rounds or dry firing. Personally I would not hesitate to purchase one if I wanted, of course I really do not care what other people think of my possessions, I am not trying to impress anyone. As far as reliability, in my opinion Magazines and Ammo contribute far more to firearm function then the brand name.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Take a look a the Canik TP9, and diamondback DB9
    both are much better and not that much more money.
    Look for online deals for Smith & Wesson M&P and Glock police trade ins

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Reading comprehension, my "holier than thou" brethren.
    In post #25 OP states he is thinking of TRADING his .22 rifle for an as yet unnamed HP pistole.

This, to me, makes the only germain question : What kind of .22 are ya thinkin' of tradin' fer that there pistol, 'ol buddy?

Top Bottom