• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    OK... First things first: I've not watched these videos. I've gotten a good idea what they contain by reading the commentary.
    Second: First responders are those who respond first to an incident. Sometimes they're professionals, i.e. LEO, FF, EMT, sometimes they're just John Q. Public who happens to be there and willing to help someone in need.
    Third:

Same people.
    Same :poop:.
    I kinda thought they would at least have the decency to hold off for a week before claiming that the Police are taking advantage of this disaster to implement their nefarious plans for complete domination of the nation.
    (Which of course those of us on the "inside" know is true. :shady:)
    But.....
    Apparently when you're on a mission from God to rid the country of the NAZI Police, decency is not an option. :dunno:

A member of our board here was telling me a long while back about some time he spent in NOLA around the time of Katrina's impact. He told me, among other things, that the intel he and his group were given was.... well, let's just say it was not the whole truth. I'm not aware if any of it was truthful or not.

With that basis, I think it's fair to say that he and the troops he was with did things that circumvented Constitutional protections of rights, but did so based on the age-old cry of necessity. (Say for example, "We have intel that some people on this street are hoarding weapons with the intent of looting others' property." or some such example. Don't use that one literally, it's just the first that came to mind for me. Unlike some people in positions of power, lying does not come naturally to me.)

Is it such a stretch to think that the rank and file officer has no "nefarious plan"? He's following an order (and please, no Nuremberg quotes) to locate and take into custody a specific person in a specific area.

Put in more specific terms, is it possible that both sides are correct in this argument? Rambone has pointed out abuses of rights, carried out for what the actor believes is a noble purpose (stopping a mass-murderer) and those giving him the order to do so may be a little less noble than they're thought to be in giving it. (Correct me if I'm mistaken, but have I not heard several LEOs say that the chiefs, in their politically-appointed jobs, represent their bosses more than their officers?) Isn't it possible that even if the bombing, etc., IS a foreign-based terror campaign, that someone is making hay while the sun shines, not letting the crisis go to waste, slowly nudging the needle toward statism?

From the other side of that coin, for those embracing the conspiracy theory inherent in this, given, let's say, a three-square-block area in which a suspect is thought to be, how do you, as a person who has taken a job to maintain order and enforce the law, locate that specific lawbreaker, a mass-murderer who very possibly has wired himself with explosives and intends God-knows-what at some real or imagined trigger point, other than doing a house-to-house?

I'll be honest, I don't know the answer to this. In an ideal world, a single officer could go to the door, politely knock and wait for the homeowner to answer, explain the situation and ask if the suspect is there. He would receive a truthful answer to the best of the homeowner's knowledge and go about his duties, searching elsewhere. or even searching that property with the owner's permission. Obviously, this is not an ideal world, and that solution would not work, one reason for which being the whole "to the best of his knowledge" thing, and another being the perception that LEOs have some nefarious plan for world domination.

So.... those standing against the police actions here, what is your suggestion for locating this person who is suspected of killing and who may have further plans to do so?

I'll add here that I'm not yet taking any side on this issue, primarily because I think both sides have dug their heels in and are refusing to acknowledge any truth in the other's positions.

Blessings,
    Bill

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Bill Of Rights

Great post as usual.
    I will keep an open mind on this most controversial subject................

As long as everyone agrees with me........................

Because I'm right..................:)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Bill. Very valid points you make. My first suggestion would have been for the FBI to better search their files or events and remember who in that city they had already interviewed about possible terroristic activities. Then maybe they could have not had to publicly release photos of the suspects until they were already in custody and therefore not tipping them off so they flee and in the process kill a cop and almost kill another.
    I truely don't believe someone in the FBI didn't remember his face once they knew who placed the bombs. I think they were trying to hide the fact that they had previously interviewed them and then a leak blew the lid off the whole coverup.
    Also whoever the Leo (federal or local) who leaked the suspects description (white backwards hat, grey hoodie, black coat) a whole day before they released the photos should be brought up on charges.
    Also I would suggest they first had followed the above and then they could have maybe caught the younger one at his college party he went to or at his house and same for the older brother. The same way they catch other criminals who have secret warrants. Screw updating the media or even local Leo's except for maybe the local swat team. Less chance for leaks.
    With the door to door tactics we already know they didn't work in of themselves but probly the police presence in the area did keep him hunkered down. If some people wanted to let the cops search then fine, but if some didn't then they need to respect that choice.

So I think the result of thousands of cops in the streets was because of MAJOR failures by the FBI and their handling of the info. When your the head of something then you must accept the blame when it goes wrong. The city cops were just following orders. I would hope our Indiana Leo's would have told the FBI to **** off if they ordere them to raid people's homes without warrants.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    BoR -

Excellent points as usual. Just wondering - I think that this particular case would have been better served by getting a warrant to search the whole "few block" area FOR THAT SPECIFIC PERSON only. There is reasonable probability that the perp was dangerous - and could even be using the person answering the door as a shield. So a "house to house" search warrant would be just and proper.

At the same time, the search warrant is for the perp ONLY and is quite specific. So when they roll upon Rambone's pot farm or mrjarrel's bong factory... Those are not only off limits but can't be used as probable cause for future action.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    All for a "suspect" when we have been given no real evidence of seeing him place the bag. This whole BMB investigation has been botched. Most people are calling him this horrible terrorist when no evidence has been shown that would make him guilty of such actions. Don't get me wrong if he did do it and they do have actual evidence then by all means hang'em high. The shootout and running from police are to separate incidents as of now. I am not saying they weren't a product of the bombings. However, correlation is not causation. Poor reporting, poor investigating and how we react to this guy being arrested will tell where our country is headed. He is a U.S. citizen who was not read his rights. This can open the flood gates in the future and is terrifying in itself. I am afraid this guy is already on the injection table without having a proper trial as he is a citizen. This was an over reach of LE and Govt. They justified it by searching for a "terrorist". It is funny how so many people want this guy killed now and are crying out in favor of the searches yet, those same people have no clue what happened in Benghazi and aren't screaming for answers to that incident.

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    The most police coverage at an event that many people had ever seen, bombs still go off, it leads to displacing people from their homes, heavily enforced police state, freaks the whole country out looking for one guy whom I've still not seen any video of actually committing any crime, and now they're going to try and prove to me that this is all necessary. A justified means to an end? I beg to differ. Welcome to the Police State, where your rights are subject to our fear, and misinformed judgments.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Let us be SURE to understand one thing...In an event such as this there is much confusion and fear.Calm,cool heads should prevail,and we all know that a lot more gets done when you ask,do not demand! If you come to my house and want to come in for a walk through,You will probably be welcomed if you are polite! If you demand ?? You create a very dangerous situation. Small things are important,the manner of a LEO is critically important in these type of situations.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    In an ideal world, a single officer could go to the door, politely knock and wait for the homeowner to answer, explain the situation and ask if the suspect is there. He would receive a truthful answer to the best of the homeowner's knowledge and go about his duties, searching elsewhere. or even searching that property with the owner's permission. Obviously, this is not an ideal world, and that solution would not work, one reason for which being the whole "to the best of his knowledge" thing, and another being the perception that LEOs have some nefarious plan for world domination.

There's a reason why there's a right side and a wrong side. One side doesn't compromise its integrity to do its job, I'll let you decide whether that's right or wrong.

Innocent until proven guilty... It means something important, it's there EXACTLY for times like this to defend people from their so called "common sense."

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    He...did things that circumvented Constitutional protections of rights, but did so based on the age-old cry of necessity.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

William Pitt The Younger

"Necessity hath no law. Feigned necessities, imaginary necessities, are the greatest cozenage men can put upon the Providence of God, and make pretences to break known rules by."

Oliver Cromwell

"Necessity ain't the mother of invention, it's the father of tyranny."

Me:D

I can justify suppressing, or the outright taking of, any and all of your rights and/or property in the name of necessity. The people of Boston were happy to cede their 4th Amendment rights for a day because they needed to 'feel' safe. What about the next time when it takes 3 days or a week? How much cheering in the streets do you think we'll see?

What will happen when a terrorist attack occurs in a city where civilian firearms ownership is the rule, not the exception? Where a large number of people do not need the .gov to clear their house for them, or to make them 'feel' safe. When the police or NG roll up on your front porch and see you sitting on your couch holding your AR, how do you think that encounter will go?:dunno:

These are not abstract questions. This event is the new model for how to handle a situation where, in the name of public safety, the .gov must find a suspect at any cost, with the utmost speed. It will be studied, refined and duplicated. And at every opportunity, it will be pushed a little farther.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I don't care how anyone wants to slice it...

• -Cops went door to door....
    • -Beat on door
    • -Home owner opens door only to find himself staring down the barrels of 4 "Assault Weapons"
    • -Homeowner nearly ****s himself while pondering the prospect of being shot on the spot for making any kind of wrong move.
    • -Swat team INSTRUCTS homeowner (and family) to put hands up and vacate the house.
    • -Cops then storm houses and do quick search

What is there to debate? All Conspiracies asside...It doesn't take a Constitutional Law Professor to understand that... THIS AIN'T RIGHT

Homeowners weren't even given a fair opportunity to exercise their 4th Amendment rights... WHO IS GOING TO ARGUE WITH AN EDGY SWAT TEAM WITH RIFLES TRAINED ON YOU?

And what if they did refuse the search? Then what? I hate to make assumptions, but look at the first video.... Had he opened the door and told the SWAT TEAM to get the **** off of his porch... what do you think would have happened? Would they have said...

"OK Sir, sorry for the interruption... Have a nice day"

Or would they have grabbed him by his throat, thrown him on the ground and put a knee in his back?

(or worse yet slipped up and shot him)

This is inexcusable...

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I think that this particular case would have been better served by getting a warrant to search the whole "few block" area FOR THAT SPECIFIC PERSON only. There is reasonable probability that the perp was dangerous - and could even be using the person answering the door as a shield. So a "house to house" search warrant would be just and proper.

At the same time, the search warrant is for the perp ONLY and is quite specific. So when they roll upon Rambone's pot farm or mrjarrel's bong factory... Those are not only off limits but can't be used as probable cause for future action.
    I think that's a very dangerous idea. It goes against the spirit of the 4th Amendment requiring specificity of the place to be searched. A warrant to search every home in the community is anything but specific.

And its not just about "what else" might be found. Its about violating the private, personal space of people who want to be left alone, and did absolutely nothing wrong. Many people do not welcome strangers into their homes. And every single interaction with police has the potential to be a life-changing event. Guns are drawn, tensions are high, fear is rampant, people are confused. People and pets can get shot in situations like this; property broken and destroyed. And then add in the possibility that the perfectly innocent homeowners are armed and non-compliant with your house-to-house search.

It is a recipe for EPIC DISASTER, and a violation of lots of people's rights.

Respectfully, Rambone

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Can you imagine the political fallout for us gun owners,had a citizen violently resisted an invasion to their dwelling? With a homeland defense rifle...(known otherwise to uniformed)?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    "Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

William Pitt The Younger

"Necessity hath no law. Feigned necessities, imaginary necessities, are the greatest cozenage men can put upon the Providence of God, and make pretences to break known rules by."

Oliver Cromwell

"Necessity ain't the mother of invention, it's the father of tyranny."

Me:D

I can justify suppressing, or the outright taking of, any and all of your rights and/or property in the name of necessity. The people of Boston were happy to cede their 4th Amendment rights for a day because they needed to 'feel' safe. What about the next time when it takes 3 days or a week? How much cheering in the streets do you think we'll see?

What will happen when a terrorist attack occurs in a city where civilian firearms ownership is the rule, not the exception? Where a large number of people do not need the .gov to clear their house for them, or to make them 'feel' safe. When the police or NG roll up on your front porch and see you sitting on your couch holding your AR, how do you think that encounter will go?:dunno:

These are not abstract questions. This event is the new model for how to handle a situation where, in the name of public safety, the .gov must find a suspect at any cost, with the utmost speed. It will be studied, refined and duplicated. And at every opportunity, it will be pushed a little farther.

It is precisely the quote from William Pitt that I had in mind when I wrote of the "age-old cry of necessity". Do note, however, that it was not his troops making that cry, they were only responding to it, based on the information they had. Were I to identify the man who told me of this, you might quickly see that that quote is out of place. I gave my word, though, to hold his confidence.

BoR -

Excellent points as usual. Just wondering - I think that this particular case would have been better served by getting a warrant to search the whole "few block" area FOR THAT SPECIFIC PERSON only. There is reasonable probability that the perp was dangerous - and could even be using the person answering the door as a shield. So a "house to house" search warrant would be just and proper.

I understand what you're saying, however I think that the plain sight rule is still in force... Even if the pot farm is not on the warrant, if it's seen, I think it's still actionable.

Sorry rambone.

Blessings,
    Bill

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I think that's a very dangerous idea. It goes against the spirit of the 4th Amendment requiring specificity of the place to be searched. A warrant to search every home in the community is anything but specific.

And its not just about "what else" might be found. Its about violating the private, personal space of people who want to be left alone, and did absolutely nothing wrong. Many people do not welcome strangers into their homes. And every single interaction with police has the potential to be a life-changing event. Guns are drawn, tensions are high, fear is rampant, people are confused. People and pets can get shot in situations like this; property broken and destroyed. And then add in the possibility that the perfectly innocent homeowners are armed and non-compliant with your house-to-house search.

It is a recipe for EPIC DISASTER, and a violation of lots of people's rights.

Respectfully, Rambone

All good, sir - and I agree that this is indeed a dilemma. Not sure that I have any great answers myself. So if you go 100% on the rights side of things, you necessarily put at risk the ability to find this perp - who clearly is armed, dangerous, and willing to kill innocent bystanders, folks at home , etc.

So - do you just let him run rampant? If Joe Homeowner doesn't or can't defend himself from the Chechnyan Bomb Weasel he's just S.O.L? After all we can't check Joe's House, right? Not without getting a warrant for every individual property in town, since we don't have a solid idea where he is - although we can locate it to a cordoned off area.

I understand why folks here are worried about right being infringed. In fact, like many here I think that the response in many cases has been over the top. (See the Dorner case -with LAPD obliterating the blue Toyota pickup for a cheap example). But if you decide you are "all in" for the other direction - then there's consequences to that, too. And I think that those bear thinking about as well.

It's well and good to avoid the "cry of necessity" but sometimes things are honestly necessary. Judgment is called for. Hard to codify, I grant - but called for.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I understand what you're saying, however I think that the plain sight rule is still in force... Even if the pot farm is not on the warrant, if it's seen, I think it's still actionable.

Sorry rambone.

Blessings,
    Bill

My point is that in a circumstance like this - where action arguably makes sense to save lives - then the State should be willing to make accommodation so that ANY trampling on individual rights is kept to a minimum if not prevented. If they are not willing to do that - then no entry. Totally agree that that's not the WAY IT IS... but was thinking outside of the existing box and mulling potential solutions.

Rambone - if the police handed you an ironclad get-out-of-jail-free card regarding anything they might see on your property in exchange for the ability
    to access it in an emergency would you take them up on it?

And having lived in the western states I hope you never live there. If there is a forest /brush/wildfire, and you own a bunch of acreage for cattle grazing or something... Smokey da Bear opens your gates and drives on your land to stop the wildfire. It's a necessity to prevent massive loss of life. Again - I see the dilemma in all of this - I'm conflicted myself. Where do we draw the line?

I mean - Smokey da Bear might even SAVE your pot farm... :D

And for the record, I'm just joking with you about the Pot Farm thing... mrjarrells Bong Manufacturing Operation, however.... :D

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    This person was not found during the search. So how can you claim necessity? If it was necessary, then they would have found him. He was found by a citizen. The citizen made a call. Police came.

Why is this different?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    The problem I see with how it went down is that he apparently was never in someones house but people were still being removed from their homes at gunpoint following direct orders to keep their hands up, but when the guy smoking a cigarette found the suspect all of a sudden the police were scared to approach him.

Why in the hell were they not scared to enter these homes when they thought he was in one of them vs when the guy smoking found him?

Top Bottom