• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm wondering how they knew he had firearms to steal if they didn't know him.

Just here on INGO, I've seen more cases of poor internet hygiene that have the potential to be used to such ends than I care to count. It's not just Facebookers that are stoopid :n00b:

Ding, ding, ding.

Lotsa ways to "give away" that you have firearms to steal, including the one's we really, really don't like to face. Shooting in the back yard comes to mind. Hangin' and talkin' at the gun shop or local pantry with the girls (446 & 50.)

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Ding, ding, ding.

Lotsa ways to "give away" that you have firearms to steal, including the one's we really, really don't like to face. Shooting in the back yard comes to mind.

And being a member of a gun forum.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... 30 years ago the bad guys wouldn't mess with country folk; armed and knew everyone who lives in the area. This scares me.

Yikes. Absolutely brutal. I just can not and do not want to comprehend what is going through a young person's mind when they do such things. Furthermore, how can one individual capable of such acts locate 'friends' who are also capable?

The difficult part is determining evil. Like the two locals in Greene County who planned and killed the young lady.
    These heathens fear nothing.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I think as the story unfolds that there's another person involved that provided the information that the gentleman had guns and cash. It's a loose end so far and I haven't heard how they targeted him.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Furthermore, this is why I don't frequent those Facebook 'Buy / Sell / Trade' firearms groups... there is a large one for Southern Indiana. I like to lurk, but don't post (well, very very very rarely). I use different usernames on gun related forums and don't share a username on these type of sites that could be matched to a username to anything identifiable.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think as the story unfolds that there's another person involved that provided the information that the gentleman had guns and cash. It's a loose end so far and I haven't heard how they targeted him.
    Que could well be on to it.
    ...I wouldn't be surprised if the son or his girlfriend knew these guys.

A LOT of folks don't think a thing about hushing up kids, (ex)wives, other family or acquaintances. Loose lips sink ships.
    Innocent blabbing or bragging on anyone's part should be treated as a breach in security. Ironically, I had to squelch exactly this just yesterday in a busy grocery store. Out of the blue, a chance meeting of acquaintances turned to me being the "gun guy."
    :tinfoil:

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Sadly, my kids know these three, from school and hanging out with other friends. I have cousins that also know them.

As I understand it, the victim has a son at school as well.

When I first saw this story and heard from my kids, we assumed it was the meth-head types it seems we are dealing with more often than we want.

But then we found out who it was we were more or less shocked, as they were supposedly your regular teenage stoners, more of the preppy variety.

The local rumor mill says there is more than what's being reported, but I hate speculation.

Guess we'll see what happens as the investigation continues and these three start battling to see who's going to rat on the others.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would have to point out that as shocking as this seems, there is a reason the world's political ne'er-do-wells like child soldiers. If you catch them young enough and desensitize them to any solid sense of right and wrong, especially regarding killing, you have young, agile, vigorous ersatz-sociopaths which serve as cold, efficient, ruthless killing machines at an age that we normal people are working hard to accept that they are growing up, shouldn't be treated like toddlers, and don't need you to read them stories before bed time.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I had heard that it was Tayler Flynn.
    That's why I wanted to have some verification of their names.
    The Bedford Times Mail finally put their names out on Sunday I believe.

He and my son were on the same basketball team at the Boys Club when he was 10 or 12 years old.
    They never really got along btw.
    His Grandfather was the coach of that team and is way more involved in the community than I am.
    This kid had a stellar example that he chose not to follow.
    He has been in trouble before (when he was still a minor) by breaking in to a convenience store.

What the paper is NOT saying is that the victim has a son that is also 18 or 19 and knew Tyler.
    I don't think they were friends, but possibly acquaintances enough to maybe find out that the victim had some valuables.

One of those kids was 16 years old!
    I just cannot imagine getting that call. :-(

Last edited:

Win52C

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Lawrence County
    The Needle is too good for them. They should be tied and beat to death the way they did Rodney. He was a great guy, would help anyone and give you the shirt off his back if you asked him for it. He wasn't an educated man. But worked like a borrowed mule all of his life to make things better for himself and his family. He became the man of the house around age 10 when his Father was killed by a split rim tire exploding on him ( some of you guys remember those) and never had a bad word to say about anyone to my knowledge. We grew up together and I'm proud to say he was my cousin and a friend. He did not deserve this ending.

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The Needle is too good for them. They should be tied and beat to death the way they did Rodney. He was a great guy, would help anyone and give you the shirt off his back if you asked him for it. He wasn't an educated man. But worked like a borrowed mule all of his life to make things better for himself and his family. He became the man of the house around age 10 when his Father was killed by a split rim tire exploding on him ( some of you guys remember those) and never had a bad word to say about anyone to my knowledge. We grew up together and I'm proud to say he was my cousins and a friend. He did not deserve this ending.

Thanks for the personal insight. I didn't know him but he had a good reputation around and my uncle knew him and said much the same you just did.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Yikes. Absolutely brutal. I just can not and do not want to comprehend what is going through a young person's mind when they do such things. Furthermore, how can one individual capable of such acts locate 'friends' who are also capable? saddening.

But then we found out who it was we were more or less shocked, as they were supposedly your regular teenage stoners, more of the preppy variety. The local rumor mill says there is more than what's being reported, but I hate speculation.

I looked at the Facebook pages of all three, and I've noticed something that I've noticed in a lot of these type of cases. What I notice is that the person is very active on Facebook, then all of a sudden, things stop. That is likely due to an addiction that has gotten so bad, all they worry about is getting high. These young adults had normal pictures, maybe one or two "I'm a tough guy" type photos, but overall, appeared to be your normal middle to upper class teens. Well, they all had stopped posting anything on Facebook for a handful of months now.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Well, they all had stopped posting anything on Facebook for a handful of months now.

Many teens have moved from "social" sites to using messaging apps like SnapChat or texting on their cell phones.

It stopped being cool once parents started using social media.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Where are the parents of these suspected murderers?
    Did they ever have rules or get told NO?
    Were they ever taught respect?

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    With social media and other, kids are networked pretty well today...............they know how to use and abuse the system to keep parents under their thumb.

Kids can say and do whatever they want nowadays, and if a parent lays a hand on them they call the cops (or their teacher does, or liberal friend or parents of liberal friend do).

I say kick all their asses.

The systems are not in place to fix the problem, instead they are there to perpetuate it.............justifies and even grows such jobs.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    The Needle is too good for them. They should be tied and beat to death the way they did Rodney. He was a great guy, would help anyone and give you the shirt off his back if you asked him for it. He wasn't an educated man. But worked like a borrowed mule all of his life to make things better for himself and his family. He became the man of the house around age 10 when his Father was killed by a split rim tire exploding on him ( some of you guys remember those) and never had a bad word to say about anyone to my knowledge. We grew up together and I'm proud to say he was my cousin and a friend. He did not deserve this ending.

You have my condolences as well. There are some things in this world, I will just never understand. This type of evil is one of them. I will keep you and the rest of Rodney's family in my prayers as you grieve this horrible loss.

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Very sad my condolences go to the family and friends of the victim. I just connected why he looked familiar. I had a business interaction with him a few years ago and he was very helpful in assisting me with some timber ground. I hope the perpetrators are punished fully for this horrible act!

Top Bottom