To what extent do you engage antis in your personal life?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    And there lies a big part of the problem.
    "Well they don't tell you THAT in the news".
    People are told many thing by then news, over and over. And without actually trying to find out if it's true, they will assume - it is true.
    If something like that is explained, then it usually is by a smaller, local news. But across the nation..... nope.

Sadly, I know a guy who believes a lever action rifle is "all anyone ever needs if they need more rounds".
    He doesn't listen when I explain, "That used to be an assault rifle", and "people used to say you'd never need that many bullets" about those types of guns.

I don't disagree with this... but to the uninformed, and those who didn't necessarily grow up with firearms (not always anti), then they simply don't understand anything about it, except what they hear on the news.

So getting confrontational, doesn't help the cause in these types of situations IMO. I wouldn't have categorized her as ANTI after the discussion... but during the discussion, I was stand-offish at first waiting for bait, and argument, etc assuming that she was.
    I quickly learned she had a head on her shoulders... she just simply wasn't informed, nor had any experience with them in her past.

No different than my arguing about the best needlework/crochet method... I have zero experience with either. But to those in the know, I'd prove myself a complete nincompoop. Difference being, needlework isn't posted on the news each night.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I don't disagree with this... but to the uninformed, and those who didn't necessarily grow up with firearms (not always anti), then they simply don't understand anything about it, except what they hear on the news.

So getting confrontational, doesn't help the cause in these types of situations IMO. I wouldn't have categorized her as ANTI after the discussion... but during the discussion, I was stand-offish at first waiting for bait, and argument, etc assuming that she was.
    I quickly learned she had a head on her shoulders... she just simply wasn't informed, nor had any experience with them in her past.

No different than my arguing about the best needlework/crochet method... I have zero experience with either. But to those in the know, I'd prove myself a complete nincompoop. Difference being, needlework isn't posted on the news each night.

Many of the "antis" are not involved in the subject, listen to what they are told.
    Those are the ones we can sway, with facts.
    But I know a few that could not be swayed with any facts.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

You were fortunate to have that conversation with someone willing to listen.
    You were able to explain an aspect that she hadn't considered before, and it helped that a) she was receptive, and b) that she was talking to someone able to impart knowledge without sounding either insulting or aloof.
    It would be interesting to see how many people either moderately anti-gun, ambivalent, or fearful of guns because of lack of knowledge would be if more pro-gun people were able to understand basic civility to go with their logic.
    IOW, it's human nature (even for antis to a degree) to listen and possibly even accept a different viewpoint when delivered politely.

On the other hand, the irrationally or ideologically anti-gun people are just about impossible to move, but even there, you have an opportunity to represent.
    When others (bystanders) not so committed to the anti-gun cause see which of the two of you is the civil, intelligent, articulate person, armed with facts and not just raw emotion and propaganda, the bystanders can themselves be moved.
    It may even be difficult to keep your cool, especially if the anti resorts (often) to insults, but your response to their cheap shots can be even more effective for the other folks in the room, as it were.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    You were fortunate to have that conversation with someone willing to listen.
    You were able to explain an aspect that she hadn't considered before, and it helped that a) she was receptive, and b) that she was talking to someone able to impart knowledge without sounding either insulting or aloof.
    It would be interesting to see how many people either moderately anti-gun, ambivalent, or fearful of guns because of lack of knowledge would be if more pro-gun people were able to understand basic civility to go with their logic.
    IOW, it's human nature (even for antis to a degree) to listen and possibly even accept a different viewpoint when delivered politely.

On the other hand, the irrationally or ideologically anti-gun people are just about impossible to move, but even there, you have an opportunity to represent.
    When others (bystanders) not so committed to the anti-gun cause see which of the two of you is the civil, intelligent, articulate person, armed with facts and not just raw emotion and propaganda, the bystanders can themselves be moved.
    It may even be difficult to keep your cool, especially if the anti resorts (often) to insults, but your response to their cheap shots can be even more effective for the other folks in the room, as it were.

In my case... it was face to face discussion... which IMO, is much different than Facebook. Which I guess was sort of my point.
    Not so much to avoid social media... but maybe not be stand off ish given the anonymity involved with social media, given that's much of what 'most people' know.
    But a FTF discussion, or better a shoot (Like BBI mentioned) may better serve our 'needs' (for lack of a better term).

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    In my case... it was face to face discussion... which IMO, is much different than Facebook. Which I guess was sort of my point.
    Not so much to avoid social media... but maybe not be stand off ish given the anonymity involved with social media, given that's much of what 'most people' know.
    But a FTF discussion, or better a shoot (Like BBI mentioned) may better serve our 'needs' (for lack of a better term).

Agreed
    *dons fogey hat*
    The over-reliance upon social media and other text media in many ways has us more connected than ever, yet less in touch than we have ever been.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I don't play well with liberals.

6 years ago when I met an old high school/college friend of my FIL (who carries everyday) I had been warned. I told him we can talk about a variety of topics except politics because I already know we don't agree. He said fair enough.

Fast forward to last weekend he starts talking politics to another guy and I'm just ignoring him because I'm already getting fired up listening to him he turns to conversation to me and starts with me and that's where I snapped.

He believes only crazy people own 30 round magazines, and guns should be highly regulated.

He also drives a prius and won't eat bacon....

nuff said.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Have 'em shoot an El Presidente drill with six rounds. :rofl:

(ETA: OK, Wiki has a different description of the El Presidente than I knew. Wiki says 6 shots, reload, and 6 more. My understanding was it was two center mass and one headshot on each target, starting with 6, reloading once. In other words, small difference, only reason to use more than 9 rounds was if you missed. My reference above was to the latter.)

BoR,

This is called a Mozambique Drill. :twocents:

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I don't.

I've got a friend that is very anti-gun. We have had knock down drag out arguments (nothing physical mind you) about the subject, mostly before we were friends.

But due to circumstances and new people coming into our lives, we have become fairly good friends. We know where each other stands, and we just don't talk about it, because we both know it won't do us any good; ie we aren't going to sway the person the other way ;) we have enough other things in common this has never been an issue.

mannus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2010
    I work with a gun shy/adverse geriatric. He claims he was a LEO in Ethiopia. I take every chance I get to discuss firearms with him. I finally got him interested in going to the range with me.

Top Bottom